SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45- The Pleiades (again)

gonzostar

Hello 

This is my version of the Pleiades M45.  This image  has  10 hours  worth of Data over the last month or so.  I had struggled to get the blue nebulosity with out over stretching. 

Clear nights are becoming scarce now, and finally Orion is appearing over next doors roof at a resonable hour! :) 

Telescope - 102mm APO ES refractor on a AVX mount

Camera- Canon 70d unmoded iso800 with a IDAS-D2 filter.  

Duration  10 hours - 180s lights., Darks, flats and bias frames also taken

Guided with PHD2 and processed in PS

Of course improvement advice much appreciated or if you would like to have ago

10hrs.tif

10hrs-ver5.thumb.jpg.a4e469da9a1e13c16af251aba7a322c9.jpg

Thankyou

Dean

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Dean !

I dont normally twiddle with other peoples data or repost it but since you asked !!!

I felt there was a lot of niceness lurking in your image - and there is !!!

This is just a stretch and twiddle and a masked saturation boost - 5 mins playing - its worth reprocessing.

Shout if you need help.

10hrs.jpg

2 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Well done Dean !

I dont normally twiddle with other peoples data or repost it but since you asked !!!

I felt there was a lot of niceness lurking in your image - and there is !!!

This is just a stretch and twiddle and a masked saturation boost - 5 mins playing - its worth reprocessing.

Shout if you need help.

10hrs.jpg

Wow Thanks, Thanks for your twiddling much appreciated.Well worth all the data.  Silly question how did you do masked saturation boost?

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

Very nice and smooth, worth all that time imaging for the smoothness not often seen with a DSLR.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. Idid get rid of a few sub standard frames, which is unusual foe me ?Maybe also i kept upto date with flats, and maybe the LDAS-D2 filter may have helped?

Thanks

Dean

Drat !! ...... they beat me to it........

10 hours of data was sure to bring up a few  finer points.......

Here's my shot at processing..... mainly just tweaking levels and gradients in PS.

10hrs.thumb.jpg.ba5fa3fabc6d3bf0e51556f31746a464.jpg

I'm lacking a bit with the colours, but there is sure enough data there.   One for the cloudy nights with a warm cup of coffe and an hour ro spare..

Rgds,

sean.

Here's my rendition, edited in PixInsight.

Obviously as it's 10 hours there's going to be a lot of data hidden in there.

This was a 40 minute process but if I had longer, I'd try my best to really bring out the faint nebula trapped inside.

Had to crop it due to stacking artefacts

Matt

10hrs1.thumb.jpg.e36c56ccc1bc32b5ad445ccd8e736fd3.jpg

I had a quick 20 minute play in Pixinsight. Its a great capture and if my recent attempt (yet to be processed!) came out this good id be very happy!

Crop, Split channels, DBE on each channel, recombine, background neutralisation and a quick play with curves. Theres a lot to be pulled out of this data. Well done!

Image12_DBE.jpg

9 hours ago, Craney said:

Drat !! ...... they beat me to it........

10 hours of data was sure to bring up a few  finer points.......

Here's my shot at processing..... mainly just tweaking levels and gradients in PS.

10hrs.thumb.jpg.ba5fa3fabc6d3bf0e51556f31746a464.jpg

I'm lacking a bit with the colours, but there is sure enough data there.   One for the cloudy nights with a warm cup of coffe and an hour ro spare..

Rgds,

sean.

Thanks Sean for your processing. Looking good I think i need to go back to processing instruction book with a strong coffee :) 

8 hours ago, matt_baker said:

Here's my rendition, edited in PixInsight.

Obviously as it's 10 hours there's going to be a lot of data hidden in there.

This was a 40 minute process but if I had longer, I'd try my best to really bring out the faint nebula trapped inside.

Had to crop it due to stacking artefacts

Matt

10hrs1.thumb.jpg.e36c56ccc1bc32b5ad445ccd8e736fd3.jpg

Wow thanks Matt for your time and expertise. Never would i thought it would be possible to pick up the fainter nebula. Especially with my set up and sky conditions.. So much detail. Thanks again. I really need to some tutorials on processing skills :) 

Dean

7 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I had a quick 20 minute play in Pixinsight. Its a great capture and if my recent attempt (yet to be processed!) came out this good id be very happy!

Crop, Split channels, DBE on each channel, recombine, background neutralisation and a quick play with curves. Theres a lot to be pulled out of this data. Well done!

Image12_DBE.jpg

Thanks for your time and effort really liking the detail. I like how the experts can process out the fainter details

well done and

thanks

Dean

Of all the re-posting of someone's work to highlight potential improvement this thread has got to be the best ?

If I were @gonzostar and had seen my work revolutionised like this I'd be over the moon (or at least the 7 sisters......) 

+1 for the community on this one!

And +1 for PixInsight - fantastic processing tool if you're looking for one @gonzostar

David

Yup, I had a feeling there was a lot more to be brought out in this data, but didn't have the time to look at it right then.  

Well done every-one else,  I especially like Skipper Billy's rendition.  Hats off to the original poster for capturing the good data and for posting the Tiff file.

Carole 

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of curiosity, what is your light pollution like? I have the D2 filter but have not had a chance to process my M45 attempt. My LP is very bad as have street lights over looking the garden.

Like wise i have a sneaky streetlight at side of garden on southwest horizon. And northern horizon. On a good night overhead @ 2am I can spot a few  3rd magnitude stars. According to clearoutside website i have a class 5 bortle site. LP hasnt stopped me having ago at objects. The lowest object i have photographed is the Swann nebula. I dont know if also i am only a mile from the seafront? But heavy LP on the A259 road 

Cheers

Dean

4 hours ago, carastro said:

Yup, I had a feeling there was a lot more to be brought out in this data, but didn't have the time to look at it right then.  

Well done every-one else,  I especially like Skipper Billy's rendition.  Hats off to the original poster for capturing the good data and for posting the Tiff file.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. I am grateful to all the experts out there. As my school report always used to say could do better!

Having frozen toes was well worth the effort :) 

Cheers

Dean

Brilliant thread and images. I think it really demonstrates the two elements needed to get first class results in AP, first excellent data, and all that this encompasses, and then the skill and knowledge of the software to process it into a final result. 

Dean, this is a very nice image. Unfortunately the processing done here, and @matt_baker's comment, show that there is a stacking artefact that runs right through the cluster/nebula. My advice is to revisit the data and try to remove the offending subs from the stack. In DSS you can see which these are by examining the dx and dy parameters (especially dy). Even if the final stack will have more noise, it is probably worth doing this.

On 30/11/2018 at 18:12, tomato said:

Brilliant thread and images. I think it really demonstrates the two elements needed to get first class results in AP, first excellent data, and all that this encompasses, and then the skill and knowledge of the software to process it into a final result. 

Thankyou Really grateful to all people on this site who are able to share their  knowledge and experience. I enjoy as we are  learning f all the time. 

11 hours ago, wimvb said:

Dean, this is a very nice image. Unfortunately the processing done here, and @matt_baker's comment, show that there is a stacking artefact that runs right through the cluster/nebula. My advice is to revisit the data and try to remove the offending subs from the stack. In DSS you can see which these are by examining the dx and dy parameters (especially dy). Even if the final stack will have more noise, it is probably worth doing this.

Cheers Wim. Will look at my dy values. Also investigate this plate solving thingy :) What are your AP  targets now you have long evenings? 

Archived