Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking about seling my Dob for a refractor.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn’t go for a MAk or  SCT if you are thinking of non goto, although rewarding finding targets can be frustrating and very time consuming. The huge sky coverage a refractor delivers makes this much less painful ? 

17 hours ago, Stu said:

Perhaps a 100ED would be a good compromise or if you can find a 100mm f7 ED doublet, perhaps a TS one or similar that would be easy enough to carry around and mount?

I would be in favour of Stu's suggestion as I have made the change for the same reason.  I was using my 200P on an EQ5 (quite happily) until I had a stroke eight years ago, it partially disabled my left hand side and then I couldn't manage the old beast.  So I changed to a C100ED doublet that FLO had on offer and I have never looked back.  On an Vixen Porta II mount I can carry it out to the garden complete and unassisted.   Good luck with any choice you make!

Thanks for all the help i apreciate it. I think i have come to a conclusion of a 180 mak i have found a uaed one for a good price around 450. I was looking at the c8 but its just slightly to expensive unless i can find a good deal used. I was just wondering what would be a good mount to use for the mak or c8 if i get one instead? 

59 minutes ago, Olli said:

Thanks for all the help i apreciate it. I think i have come to a conclusion of a 180 mak i uave found a uaed one for a good price around 450. I was looking at the c8 but its just slightly to expensivr unless i can find i good deal used. I was just wondering what would be a good mount to use for the mak or c8 if i get one instead? 

I would probably go for a SkyTee2 or an Ercole if I were you. There is an argument that a scope like that would benefit from being on a Goto mount because the narrow field of view can make finding things a challenge, and tracking makes life a bit more relaxing, but I've used a C8 and C925 on an Ercole quite happily. You would probably be best to put the Ercole on a 2" stainless steel tripod, EQ6 equivalent.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I would probably go for a SkyTee2 or an Ercole if I were you. There is an argument that a scope like that would benefit from being on a Goto mount because the narrow field of view can make finding things a challenge, and tracking makes life a bit more relaxing, but I've used a C8 and C925 on an Ercole quite happily. You would probably be best to put the Ercole on a 2" stainless steel tripod, EQ6 equivalent.

Hi Stu

Is this the Ercole mount? https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4202_GIRO-ERCOLE-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-15-kg.html cheaper than i thought it was going to be. So is the Skytee2 a safe bet for the mak? 

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I had a 180 Mak/Cass - wonderful scope especially using binoviewers. My 180 was mounted on a SkyTee 2 + Berlebach tripod - held it well.

Thanks mark, that was also my plan to get bino viewers. Just want to have the best / most comfortable experience possible. That was another thing about the dob is that i have to kneel all the time unless i raise it.

9 minutes ago, Olli said:

Hi Stu

Is this the Ercole mount? https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4202_GIRO-ERCOLE-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-up-to-15-kg.html cheaper than i thought it was going to be. So is the Skytee2 a safe bet for the mak? 

That's the one Olli. Don't forget you need a clamp and tripod on top of this price. I think the Ercole is better engineering than the SkyTee2, but they both seem to perform to a similar level in reality. Personally I don't find slow mo controls for AltAz mounts relaxing to use as you are always adjusting both. Some people do like and use them though, so it is a personal preference thing rather than an absolute performance difference.

Most people recommend upgrading the SkyTee2 clamp to the ADM version for a decent sized scope, I would think you would be wise to do that for your setup too.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's the one Olli. Don't forget you need a clamp and tripod on top of this price. I think the Ercole is better engineering than the SkyTee2, but they both seem to perform to a similar level in reality. Personally I don't find slow mo controls for AltAz mounts relaxing to use as you are always adjusting both. Some people do like and use them though, so it is a personal preference thing rather than an absolute performance difference.

Most people recommend upgrading the SkyTee2 clamp to the ADM version for a decent sized scope, I would think you would be wise to do that for your setup too.

Apreciated the help. Flo do a bundle with rhe skytee with a 1.75" tripod and they say its the same thats used for the heq5 and eq5 is it worth getting that or another tripod. Sorry for all the questions.

8 minutes ago, Olli said:

Apreciated the help. Flo do a bundle with rhe skytee with a 1.75" tripod and they say its the same thats used for the heq5 and eq5 is it worth getting that or another tripod. Sorry for all the questions.

Pretty sure the 1.75" would be fine. I've tended to use EQ6 2" because you can pick them up for £50 or £60 when imagers upgrade to pillar mounts and they are rock solid. The 1.75" can't be that much different. The beauty of the Mak is that it is short, so doesn't put so much strain on as a long refractor for example.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Pretty sure the 1.75" would be fine. I've tended to use EQ6 2" because you can pick them up for £50 or £60 when imagers upgrade to pillar mounts and they are rock solid. The 1.75" can't be that much different. The beauty of the Mak is that it is short, so doesn't put so much strain on as a long refractor for example.

Thank you Stu. Much appreciated :)

Olli

Interesting thread, a journey many of us take, deciding which way to go scope and mount wise.

The two manual mounts you are looking at I have owned both, so speak with experience and honesty as I own neither now.

Skytee is rough and ready but does the job. 
OK slow motions, but better than none.
Engineering leaves a lot to be desired. 
My one failed within the first 2 months of ownership.

Giro is very well made and oh so smooth, which is good and bad.
No slow motion is no problem, especially as you already have a dob and are used to nudge, nudge, curse operation.
Engineering is superb and well finished.
You will need to balance the scope and kit VERY well to keep it a pleasure to use.
Sold the Giro for a go-to move and then wished I had not.

Replaced the Giro with a used Altair Astro Sabre mount, well made in the UK and all that applies to the Gior applies here too.

If you want the ultimate manual alt az in sensible price, look at the AYOii mount.

Good luck with whatever you do, whatever you buy will be a compromise in some way or another.

5 hours ago, Olli said:

Thanks mark, that was also my plan to get bino viewers. Just want to have the best / most comfortable experience possible. That was another thing about the dob is that i have to kneel all the time unless i raise it.

It's a bit late now but with a dob of that size an adjustable height chair is really a must. In fact, even with your new scope you will probably find sitting an improvement. particularly if you're going to use binoviewers where you have to keep two eyes positioned correctly.

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Olli

Interesting thread, a journey many of us take, deciding which way to go scope and mount wise.

The two manual mounts you are looking at I have owned both, so speak with experience and honesty as I own neither now.

Skytee is rough and ready but does the job. 
OK slow motions, but better than none.
Engineering leaves a lot to be desired. 
My one failed within the first 2 months of ownership.

Giro is very well made and oh so smooth, which is good and bad.
No slow motion is no problem, especially as you already have a dob and are used to nudge, nudge, curse operation.
Engineering is superb and well finished.
You will need to balance the scope and kit VERY well to keep it a pleasure to use.
Sold the Giro for a go-to move and then wished I had not.

Replaced the Giro with a used Altair Astro Sabre mount, well made in the UK and all that applies to the Gior applies here too.

If you want the ultimate manual alt az in sensible price, look at the AYOii mount.

Good luck with whatever you do, whatever you buy will be a compromise in some way or another.

Thanks Alan for the advice. Lots to think about :)

Would second a vote for the Ercole Giro. I have one atop a CG5/EQ6 2" tripod and extension pillar. Unbalanced, it would throw my Equinox 120 around without so much as flutter. For giggles, I hung my 10" Dob (w/rings) off the other side. The mount didn't break sweat. Silky smooth. I usually hang a 5" Mak or smaller Frac on the other side.
Looked at the Skytee 2 the other day. Kept the Ercole. 
The Skytee 2 offers much for its tag, but beware, there are many posts regarding the very poor saddle bolts. Several reports of scopes falling foul of this issue.

I use an 8" SCT and it is great for both galaxies and the moon. Second hand these OTAs come along often, and given their low weight and compact size, they do not demand much in terms of a mount. I normally have it on a Vixen Great Polaris mount, but found it very usable on this DIY alt-az mount (very "Dobfractorish style) on a DIY hardwood-upgraded EQ2 tripod.

post-5655-0-82240000-1367736687_thumb.jpg

Edit: Too late, I see. Have fun with the SkyMax 180

Archived