Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cleaning primary mirror

I’ve noticed the primary mirror is looking quite dirty so it’s probably time to brave cleaning it. As I haven’t attempted this before I’d appreciate tips/advice on best approach to do this without damaging the mirror or coatings. 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t be apprehensive. Plenty of pure, distilled water, adequate supplies of cotton wool, careful planning, a clear and clean working area and time on your side.

I’ve done my 14” and wondered why I’d been so concerned about it after I’d done it...

It really is a simple process and nothing to be anxious about 

@steppenwolf and others have some great videos on YouTube 

Happy viewing 

1 minute ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Don’t be apprehensive. Plenty of pure, distilled water, adequate supplies of cotton wool, careful planning, a clear and clean working area and time on your side.

I’ve done my 14” and wondered why I’d been so concerned about it after I’d done it...

It really is a simple process and nothing to be anxious about 

Thank you. I remember being the same way about collimation, particularly adjusting the secondary. After I was done, I realised it was no big thing :) 

45 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

@steppenwolf and others have some great videos on YouTube 

Here is my video

33 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

In fact it looks like the very same telescope that’s being cleaned in article above! 

.....and it is indeed your reflector that is detailed here - the one and only clean it has ever had!

Not a task that requires to much frequent attention, I soak mine, lying flat, in a small children's inflatable paddling pool, using distilled marine, which I obtain from a local Garden Centre. I then drip dry upright, which can be further dried with a cold blow setting hair dryer. If you have spare water (usually obtainable in 5L reusable containers), store in cool dark location for future use. I had once used the cotton wool ball process, applying no pressure just lifting off the surface once soaked. Here's a picture of the paddling pool.

P1050827 (1).JPG

11 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Steve. Can’t ask for a better guide than that :) 

Question on distilled water. I have some De-ionised water which a quick Google suggests should be just as pure as distilled. Is that ok to use? 

Now that, Neil  involves worms, can, open and a in a different order!! I believe that you should only use Distilled Water and I personally wouldn't use de-Ionised, reverse osmosis, fish tank stuff etc. despite what others say BUT that's just me! ?

I have opened the popcorn ...... :happy1:

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Now that, Neil  involves worms, can, open and a in a different order!! I believe that you should only use Distilled Water and I personally wouldn't use de-Ionised, reverse osmosis, fish tank stuff etc. despite what others say BUT that's just me! ?

Haha oh blimey. I didn’t realise it was such a controversial question. It doesn’t look too difficult to simply distill you own water from tap water.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water%3famp=1

I tried a couple of places this afternoon and deionised water was the closest I got to distilled water :icon_scratch:

The cotton wool ball approach really is non essential unless there are blemishes, even then. Surgical cotton is recommended, standard ought be fine but as said if I were to repeat I'd use my finger tips, main rule of thumb is to apply no pressure. 

43 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I have been told by many experienced dob owners that cotton balls are out and finger tips are all the rage now, clean finger tips.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

31 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

RV water for me too ?. Any tropical fish retailers, only about £0.50 for 5 ltr

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Proper distilled water (at least six times through the loop) is as rare as hens teeth at an eye watering price but its the only stuff I would use.

Alan

I was looking on Amazon and thinking the prices were expensive for water but sounds like not!

This is where I bought my distilled water from so the Amazon price looks a little expensive? However, this needs to be tempered with the fact that I didn't use anywhere near all of my 10 litres as it is only used for the last rinse(s). I still have it in stock carefully stored for the next clean ......oh, hang on, I no longer have my 10" reflector ....... ?

A thumbs up for the Steppenwolf cleaning technique and tips.

I have used deionised water without problem. My final rinse being a mixture of water and isopropanol.
This reduces surface tension (gives a uniform wet coverage) and dries without marks.

But of course, is the mirror really really really dirty? Can you leave it for another day?

David.

Archived