Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planets nice and steady, get out there!

Dave1

Hi guys as per the title. 

Saturn is nice and clear tonight, loads of detail on offer. Cassini division and some colour on Saturn's globe. Taking magnification well. Skylight 60mm coming up trumps again! 

Get out there! 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Hi guys as per the title. 

Saturn is nice and clear tonight, loads of detail on offer. Cassini division and some colour on Saturn's globe. Taking magnification well. Skylight 60mm coming up trumps again! 

Get out there! 

Darn. I set up last night to image wobbly planets. I really haven't got the oomph tonight after having drunk a decent dose of Aussie red...

Planets are even better tonight. They say the 4th night of clear sky's should be steady and translucent! So far proving to be right :)

Got the 4" F15 out tonight. Best views of Saturn I've ever had, can see good detail. Even hints of the banding on the globe of Saturn. 

Can't wait until I see Mars. 

57 minutes ago, John said:

I agree - Saturn is looking far better tonight than it did last night :smiley:

Crepe ring showing nicely :thumbright:

Mars is also putting on a good show. What telescope are you using tonight John? To be able to see the Crepe ring? Cassini looked etched tonight.

I was able to see two moons around Saturn tonight, one moon in the 9 O'clock position ( relative to north ), the other sort of between 11 and 12 O'clock position.

On Mars I saw two moons also one moon in the 12 O'clock position relative to north, the other moon in roughly the 4 O'clock position.

I'm getting better at spotting moons, with averted vision!

Dave 

4 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Mars is also putting on a good show. What telescope are you using tonight John? To be able to see the Crepe ring? Cassini looked etched tonight.

I was able to see two moons around Saturn tonight, one moon in the 9 O'clock position ( relative to north ), the other sort of between 11 and 12 O'clock position.

On Mars I saw two moons also one moon in the 12 O'clock position relative to north, the other moon in roughly the 4 O'clock position.

I'm getting better at spotting moons, with averted vision!

Dave 

I'm using the ED120 refractor.

No moons around Mars for me though - I might stand a faint chance with my 12" dob but the 4.7" refractor is not going to show Phobos and Deimos. Phobos is mag 12.5 and almost touching the limb of the planet tonight and Deimos is mag 13.5 - too faint for the ED120 under my skies tonight. There are a couple of background stars, one either side of Mars, tonight though.

I got 5 moons at Saturn earlier. I could not quite get Enceladus because it was a bit too close to the planet.

Hoping to have a crack at Triton at Neptune next. I've done that with my 130 refractor and I think it's possible with the 120. We will see !

If the 4" F/15 is a decent one then the views with the ED100 will be very similar. The ED100 is a lot easier to mount steadily though !

I've managed 5 moons of Saturn regularly with my 4" refractors - Enceladus is the thorny one to make it 6 with that aperture - potentially possible but pretty hard !

1 hour ago, John said:

If the 4" F/15 is a decent one then the views with the ED100 will be very similar. The ED100 is a lot easier to mount steadily though !

I've managed 5 moons of Saturn regularly with my 4" refractors - Enceladus is the thorny one to make it 6 with that aperture - potentially possible but pretty hard !

The challenge has been set :) 

2 hours ago, Dave1 said:

@John must of been stars then around Mars. Pretty chuffed I can see Moons around Saturn with an 4" F15, I often wonder how a ED100 F9 would compare. Hopefully I will do that comparison soon.

We'll have to meet up Dave. I've got an ED100 and would love to get a look through the f15.

Ade

I was watching rain.. Not a single session this autumn yet. I accidentally checked the weather in London a couple of days ago and got exited, but then I noticed the mistake, and yeah, autumn storms. Had a good run in summer though. Found a nice dark site I can get in under an hour, so got a bunch of Messier under my belt. Mars was still a dust ball though, and then clouds rolled in. Got really unlucky with it this year.

8 hours ago, djpaul said:

Totally cloudy here in Northampton too. Weather says clear all night but it's terrible. ?

It was clear earlier Paul. I was out until about 10.00 - sorry you missed it.

12 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Planets are even better tonight. They say the 4th night of clear sky's should be steady and translucent! So far proving to be right :)

Got the 4" F15 out tonight. Best views of Saturn I've ever had, can see good detail. Even hints of the banding on the globe of Saturn. 

Can't wait until I see Mars. 

I also found that Saturn was good. Sharp with detail on the disc etc. However, as I’ve noticed before this doesn’t seem to translate over to Mars which was its usual mushy self. I don’t really understand this as they are in a similar part of the sky, unless the dust storm is still having an effect.

I didn’t  pay much attention to any moons though - I will next time?

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

It was clear earlier Paul. I was out until about 10.00 - sorry you missed it.

I also found that Saturn was good. Sharp with detail on the disc etc. However, as I’ve noticed before this doesn’t seem to translate over to Mars which was its usual mushy self. I don’t really understand this as they are in a similar part of the sky, unless the dust storm is still having an effect.

I didn’t  pay much attention to any moons though - I will next time?

Agreed. Saturn was superb from here last night, even at 16 arcsec, but Mars was poor, with the polar cap barely visible and little surface detail evident. I noticed that the apparent seeing in different directions was very different, so maybe this is something atmospheric here, rather than blaming the dust on Mars. Seeing to the SW (Saturn's direction) was particularly good, whereas anything to the SE and E was poor.

Chris

Archived