Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro

FLO

Hi all, I braved the winds last night just to see if I can get focus with my 72 ed using the TS ff/ reducer with my ASI 1600mm and im glad to say I did with no problems. I have still got to get the spacing right but from the single shot I took last night it all seems do able. There was plenty of Focus tube left! thank you all those who pointed me in the right direction. cant wait to use this scope in anger!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi all, I braved the winds last night just to see if I can get focus with my 72 ed using the TS ff/ reducer with my ASI 1600mm and im glad to say I did with no problems. I have still got to get the spacing right but from the single shot I took last night it all seems do able. There was plenty of Focus tube left! thank you all those who pointed me in the right direction. cant wait to use this scope in anger!

That's good news.

Glad everything is coming together for you?

like me your just waiting for a good weather run to test it all out fully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

Any more info on that pic susaron? Camera, subs etc?

is an amazing image and wish I could capture something half as decent and would be a happy camper

Hdr with 20x5s subs + 20x180s subs, calibrated, taken with the QHY168c Gain 10, offset 30, temp -10C. Idas lps d1 filter.

10 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

That's looking really good, what spacing are you at?

Tim

Thanks, Im at 65.5mm I think I need to go back a little to get it at its best. Im really impressed by the scope and the TS  FR/FF seems to work very well with my camera set up.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, i am about to order the 72ed to use it primarily for astrophotography with my 450d. I choosed to match it with the ovl ff and the lynx m48 adapter.  I asked FLO if there is any other option so i will be able to rotate the camera for framming and they told me about  this extension tube.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/moonlite-15-focus-extension-tube.html

I thought that my goal was to be closer to drawtube and not going further.

What is your opinion? 

Welcome to SGL ? 

You are right. Our advice was wrong. It makes no sense. I don't know why and can't ask my colleague because it's 10pm Friday night and we're closed. I will when we reopen Monday.

Yours was a routine question and the advice was so clearly wrong that I can only guess my colleague was handling several conversations at the same time and lost the thread. Sorry. 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sattor said:

Hello, i am about to order the 72ed to use it primarily for astrophotography with my 450d. I choosed to match it with the ovl ff and the lynx m48 adapter.  I asked FLO if there is any other option so i will be able to rotate the camera for framming and they told me about  this extension tube.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/moonlite-15-focus-extension-tube.html

I thought that my goal was to be closer to drawtube and not going further.

What is your opinion? 

They're great and they will look after you ?

I'm sure they will :)   so, is there any alternative to lynx adapter so i can rotate my camera?   Also if i am going to use the lynx m48 , how i m going to use a 2" filter?

Edited by sattor

13 hours ago, sattor said:

I'm sure they will :)   so, is there any alternative to lynx adapter so i can rotate my camera?   Also if i am going to use the lynx m48 , how i m going to use a 2" filter?

If you look back through the thread there is discussion of using the small screws in the t adaptor to make a virtually free rotator.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

If you look back through the thread there is discussion of using the small screws in the t adaptor to make a virtually free rotator.

Yes i saw it, but i thought there was an easiest way to do it.   I'll stick with lynx adapter and rotate the tube. At least its the most firm and tight  combination of all.  I'm still worried then if i can use 2'' filters with this setup.

Anyway i appreciate your help! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I'm looking at getting another one of these, sold my last one and regret it now 🙄 I did have the SW reducer but think I was using a 600D, this time I'll be using a 183MC. Am I going to need a reducer or flattener if so which one and what's the back distance needed and where is it measured from ? 

8 hours ago, SAW said:

Am I going to need a reducer or flattener if so which one and what's the back distance needed and where is it measured from ? 

I found both the non reducing OVL flattener and the SkyWatcher 0.85x reducing flattener needing a bit more than 55mm back distance. I was limited by focus in-travel limit to ~60mm back distance (from the end thread) with both and decent results. The ASI183MC's sensor is smaller than a Canon crop sensor, but also the pixels are smaller so the defects will appear emphasized.

I heard that the TS 0.79x reducing flattener is better suited for this scope. Search the forums for info about this one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alexbb said:

I heard that the TS 0.79x reducing flattener is better suited for this scope. Search the forums for info about this one.

Hi, I have been using the TS FF/reducer with my 72ed and have found from my limited use so far that it gives good results. My spacing for it at the moment is 65.5 mm but I think i need to do a few more tweaks to get it exact.( waiting for dark nights to return! )

Here is a single sub taken with the scope and TS FF

48096817841_e190fb3ffd_b.jpg

Edited by simmo39
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/08/2018 at 09:29, Susaron said:

I have an ED72 since June, and with 1.25'' like the Baader Zoom when the set up is 20 or 24mm is not possible to achive focus. I have no other 1.25'' pieces as I keep my eyepieces to 3 ES 100º ones (20mm, 9mm and 5,5mm), with all off them being 2'' I achieve focus without problem, but as said when you increase the distance adding the 2'' to 1.25'' adapter from the diagonal in order to use 1.25'' pieces is not possible to get in focus at lower magnification.

Cheers.

Hi,

did you ever find a solution to this problem? I was hoping to get this scope and use it as a travel scope with a 1.25’’ diag and the Baader Zoom (IV). You were using it with a 2’’ diag right, and an adaptor? Did you ever try it with a 1.25’’ diag and the Baader?

cheers,

Stian

Edited by grjsk