Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro

FLO

15 hours ago, knobby said:

Okey dokey, just got in from social duties, scope arrived safely from @FLO swiftly stuck the William Optics ZS71 flattener in the scope to see if I had enough focus range ...

Well a picture paints a thousand words so here's one showing the flattener in position and the same again but exposed to show the 'very rough handheld Moon shot ' on the monitor.

No time or chance to check star shapes but hopefully tomorrow if clear.

IMAG0217_1.jpg

IMAG0218_1.jpg

looking good, hope the stars are ok, if so i will get the WO ts/r.

With the great help of Martin @FLO I have now sorted mine out. 

To use the ED80 flattener you have to use the m52>m48 adapter instead of the fitting that comes as standard on the ed72   With this in place you can get enough onwards travel to achieve focus

have only tried on a far away terrestrial object, but can see that the focus point has now moved beyond this so looks good for when I actually get some clear sky and can use it outside  

many many thanks to Martin for helping out

Edited by Shelster1973
Typo
  • Like 2

On 19/01/2019 at 12:53, simmo39 said:

looking good, hope the stars are ok, if so i will get the WO ts/r.

One thing with this set up ... It's impossible to get the reducer /flattener to stay Square in the holder when tightening, I'm trying the lynx astro upgrade with compression ring to see if it's any better.

15 hours ago, knobby said:

One thing with this set up ... It's impossible to get the reducer /flattener to stay Square in the holder when tightening, I'm trying the lynx astro upgrade with compression ring to see if it's any better.

Thanks for the pointer.

So, the lynx astro compression ring upgrade still throws the WO reducer out of true slightly. I had a M3 tap set so have 'modified' it and it holds perfectly square now .

Should add, the existing thumbscrews seem to be M4 but I only had M3

Just need some stars now.

IMAG0231_1.jpg

Edited by knobby
Added pictures
  • Like 2

Maybe the administrator should move this thread to other Imaging section.

Here another picture taken with the ED72, this time I used the IDAS D1 filter coupled to the QHY168C. 34x300s subs under bortle 6-7 skies.

Best Regards.

Mario.

HT0p6_MS0p4_curves_lhe_mlt_usm_mt_et_resample.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/01/2019 at 09:02, Susaron said:

I also had to discard the SW reducer as I was not able to focus, due to the reducer thickness, then I went for the TS 0x79 using 65mm distance and it focus perfectly with both the IDAS and the Halpha filters.

The TS has a 2'' barrel and M48 thread for filter on the tube side so it fit better. I made the measurements in another comment in this same thread.

P_20181017_180938[1].jpg

Just wondering what the silver material on the middle of the scope is? I presume its to stop heat radiation.

Just reviewing an image I took in November 2018.

I was concerned that the SW72ED +OVL flattener had a touch of curvature so was going to put some spacers in, looking at this image I'm not so sure, I think it may well be a slight tilt issue. The stars on the left follow what would be curvature if all around the image but it's just on the left side so my thoughts are tilt ??

what do you think.

M31 SW72ED +OVL flattener

Edited by Cozzy
typo
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2019 at 12:59, knobby said:

So, the lynx astro compression ring upgrade still throws the WO reducer out of true slightly. I had a M3 tap set so have 'modified' it and it holds perfectly square now .

Should add, the existing thumbscrews seem to be M4 but I only had M3

Just need some stars now.

IMAG0231_1.jpg

Any news on this FF/ fr ? Just waiting to see which one to go for.

On 29/01/2019 at 14:42, Cozzy said:

Just reviewing an image I took in November 2018.

I was concerned that the SW72ED +OVL flattener had a touch of curvature so was going to put some spacers in, looking at this image I'm not so sure, I think it may well be a slight tilt issue. The stars on the left follow what would be curvature if all around the image but it's just on the left side so my thoughts are tilt ??

what do you think.

M31 SW72ED +OVL flattener

Hi Tim,

looking at your image, the centre of the curvature seems to be about 75% right on the horizontal and 1/3 up.

Form the star shapes I'd say that you have a slight tilt and specifically that your left side has less backfocus from the flattener than the right one: so I'd shim on the left side, a bit downward from the centre. This looking at your data, then I don't know if your specific sensor swaps right/left and up/down.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, knobby said:

Not too promising so far, tried 68.5 mm and 70.5 mm without success, trying 69 mm next clear night ( March ?)

Hi, well I hope you can get it sorted. weather is going to be a pain for the next few weeks. think ill be going for TS one if you dont have any luck.

All the best. Andy

16 hours ago, FaDG said:

Here the pic

20190131_162105.jpg

FaDG,

Thanks for the analysis, much appreciated, I'll check the focuser to make sure it is square with the tube and no flop, and also check that the OVL FF and Canon 450D are siting flush in the focuser.

thanks again

Tim

Just a little tip if you are having trouble balancing - I found the 'Short' dovetail from here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

And a set of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/m6-bolts-x2-suitable-for-sky-watcher-st80-tube-rings.html

Fits the 72ED rings perfectly and gives a lot more room to get the balancing just right - I was really struggling with the little green dovetail!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2019 at 18:36, simmo39 said:

Hi, well I hope you can get it sorted. weather is going to be a pain for the next few weeks. think ill be going for TS one if you dont have any luck.

All the best. Andy

Had another try last night , just over 69mm not good at edges ? might be the reducer ? it was never brilliant on the WO ZS71, might have to go another route

4 hours ago, knobby said:

Had another try last night , just over 69mm not good at edges ? might be the reducer ? it was never brilliant on the WO ZS71, might have to go another route

Oh well, I'll be looking at the TS one more expense! Hope you get sorted. 

• Thanks 1

I am happy that I did not order the 72ED. This seems to be a real journey and with all the spacers, flatteners and mounting problems it seems tedious and expensive. At least for imaging.

Edit: Thats what I feel about it after following many discussions and also trying to get more information from sellers. Now when the scope is out in the wild I may find more substantial information for my special needs/equipment.

Carsten

Edited by calli
Clarify my toughts

1 hour ago, calli said:

I am happy that I did not order the 72ED. This seems to be a real journey and with all the spacers, flatteners and mounting problems it seems tedious and expensive. At least for imaging.

Carsten

I wouldn't say that - What telescope is perfect? your always going to be fiddling with something as not everyone's requirements are the same.  But saying that I also think SW should have bought out a dedicated reducer for it.

Some of the comments in this thread suggest a problem with the telescope or its reducer but our experience here at FLO suggests the opposite. 

Since launch the Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED Pro has been hugely popular, outselling even the long established 80ED Pro. So far we have experienced only two customer returns (one for dust behind a lens element and the other because the customer believed his draw tube was misaligned). As for the 0.85x Reducer/Flattener, only one return. My colleague, Grant, is getting along nicely with his and there are some nice images posted here at SGL. 

From where we sit the telescope and reducer are performing well and owners are pleased. We certainly haven't noticed a need for third-party reducer/flatteners. 

Is it pixel-peeping (the 72ED Pro is a £265 doublet) or are we missing something? 

Steve 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FLO said:

Some of the comments in this thread suggest a problem with the telescope or its reducer but our experience here at FLO suggests the opposite. 

Thanks for that heads up!

I clarified my post.

In fact FLO was the only seller caring about my questions! Thanks for that!

Carsten

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Since launch the Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED Pro has been hugely popular, outselling even the long established 80ED Pro. So far we have experienced only two customer returns (one for dust behind a lens element and the other because the customer believed his draw tube was misaligned). As for the 0.85x Reducer/Flattener, only one return. My colleague, Grant, is getting along nicely with his and there are some nice images posted here at SGL. 

From where we sit the telescope and reducer are performing well and owners are pleased. We certainly haven't noticed a need for third-party reducer/flatteners. 

Is it pixel-peeping (the 72ED Pro a £265 doublet) or are we missing something? 

Steve 

No offence was intended Steve ! I also have one as well and quite pleased with the little nipper regardless of the little niggles.

Edited by Skyline