NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anyone ever moved WITH their Observatory?

Macavity

Totally "Pie in the Sky" (impractical, unfeasable, un-fundable) but intrigued? ?

Had anyone ever moved house WITH their observatory? Mine is a "pre-built"
(Alexander's Observatory). Quite *modular*... It arrived in one "Transit Van"! ?

One gets attached to things one has spent so many HOURS working on.
But we "move on" in life? Wishful thinking, but I started wondering... ?

Mine is a plastic shed erected many years ago also with the same wishful thinking that it would be easy to disassemble and move house. 

It would only take half a day to flat pack into the 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot package it arrived as.

Hopes of ever relocating to the dark countryside are fading rapidly with advancing years, probably better to stay near local amenities / hospital now :grin:

Dave

18 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

The title suggests that your observatory is planning on moving out
and you're trying to figure out a way to follow. 

LOL. Inanimate objects can sometimes be an inspiration? Reminded
that (personally) I rarely (never!) SIT in my observatory any more. ?

I'm mostly into (remotely controlled) Video Astronomy... Even Solar
Astronomy implies fine days! Most *internal* space is "wasted"... ?

Frankly, a (new) "Six Foot Cube" is all I really need now...
Anyone who moved in here would get a SUPER "shed"! ?

5 minutes ago, Macavity said:

LOL. Inanimate objects can sometimes be an inspiration? Reminded
that (personally) I rarely (never!) SIT in my observatory any more. ?

I'm mostly into (remotely controlled) Video Astronomy... Even Solar
Astronomy implies fine days! Most *internal* space is "wasted"... ?

Frankly, a (new) "Six Foot Cube" is all I really need now...
Anyone who moved in here would get a SUPER "shed"! ?

With all this loneliness, no wonder your observatory wants to move out. The good part, though, with inanimate objects you won't have to 'have the talk.' ;)

1 minute ago, emadmoussa said:

With all this loneliness, no wonder your observatory wants to move out.
The good part, though, with inanimate objects you won't have to 'have the talk.' ;)

Wow, Not sure what you are getting at, Emad? I strikes me as sneering. ?

I respond positively to YOUR posts... As with many others I was v.happy
to see you return! The above was surely a tad unnecessary? Maybe try to
acknowledge your own (seemingly quite privileged) life circumstances... ?

I think Emad was making a humourous remark - it didn't strike me as sneering.  Particularly with the smiley.

My observatory seems to be more of a storage space nowadays.  I too image remotely.  The warm room is just used to hold the main PSU and backup battery and a selection of tools and accessories.  In fact I'm considering a mini observatory with NEQ6 mount for my smaller scopes while one of the bigger ones can stay on the EQ8 in main observatory.  That's in addition to my micro observatory which will house my widefield rig.

26 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Wow, Not sure what you are getting at, Emad? I strikes me as sneering. ?

I respond positively to YOUR posts... As with many others I was v.happy
to see you return! The above was surely a tad unnecessary? Maybe try to
acknowledge your own (seemingly quite privileged) life circumstances... ?

LOL - not at all. I'm just being cynical. I'm not even remotely privileged, you'll be shocked what kind of life I had/have. But, honestly, I'm very sorry if I offended you. It wasn't meant this way. Writing, lacking facial expressions, gesticulations, and sometimes context, can be ambiguous. Very sorry! 

3 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

LOL - not at all. I'm just being cynical. I'm not even remotely privileged, you'll be shocked what kind of life I had/have. But, honestly, I'm very sorry if I offended you. It wasn't meant this way. Writing, lacking facial expressions, gesticulations, and sometimes context, can be ambiguous. Very sorry! 

Thanks, Emad! Guess I don't overly "get" Cynicism (and Sarcasm)? I am probably far too 
sensitive...or OLD? Maybe I'm more geared more towards 70's irony & self deprecation? ?

FWIW, I found the posts re. YOUR past life experiences moving and thought provoking...
But, part of the internet is that NONE of us can know too much about our background? ?

This is my thread and fairly "random"! I'm ever reminded that I actually felt much happier
being "offline" (Dare I say NOT on SGL 24/7! lol) for a while recently. I have certain issues
I have to consider in real life... Do I live in a place where I am basically *unhappy*, or do I
give up (practical) Astronomy AND get a LIFE? At the moment, the *latter* is appealing. ?

Little of this is about anyone HERE! I don't feel persuaded to "flounce out"... but maybe,
after TWELVE YEARS "entertaining" here (not to everyone's taste) I deserve a REST? lol. ?

6 hours ago, Macavity said:

Thanks, Emad! Guess I don't overly "get" Cynicism (and Sarcasm)? I am probably far too 
sensitive...or OLD? Maybe I'm more geared more towards 70's irony & self deprecation? ?

While the internet makes the world a smaller place, it certainly makes misunderstanding a bigger problem. It'll probably take another 2 decades to overcome such hurdle,  an inevitable evolutionary path, if you ask me.  Anyhoo, did you make up with your obsy ?! (Here we go again...sorry!) :) 

I've moved observatories on this site twice and turned a third one into something else (a motorcycle garage.) I made on observatory in the UK and brought it down here. If there's a problem I don't see it.

Olly

My Obsy is a shed with the four corners concreted into the ground. It was built to stay put. However, the knowledge of construction will move with me, when the time comes to move.

I have a NEQ6 ready to place on the column if the new owners want an obsy. My Mesu 200 will move with me :p  The pillar is a steel tube filled with sand...so very easy to remove and create a shed, should the new owners desire!

My observatory is in sections bolted together and could be taken apart if needed but I have no intention of moving from here - it suits me perfectly.

I built the TSO (Tin Shed Observatory) while living in the UK; we then moved to Belgium and I took it with me as "TSO II".

When we returned to Australia I thought it did such a great job I once again moved it with us..."TSO III"

When we downsized and moved to the coast....I sold it and it's now doing a great job as "TSO IV"

Mines probably too substantial to move- it would be less effort to start from scratch and do all the things I right that I should have done on the first one!

I have made both piers so they can be unbolted from the conrete mass though- so at least all the astro hardware can go.

On 18/07/2018 at 20:17, emadmoussa said:

Anyhoo, did you make up with your obsy ?! (Here we go again...sorry!) :) 

"Observatories are an Astronomer's Best Friend"? 
Square cut or pear shaped? (sic) (I know, I know)! ?

For me, a time of reflection... Where do I go now?
An *expensive* observatory, or a "better life"? lol
I imagine a Mini-Observatory outside some future
"old people's" / warden-supervised "Home"! lol. ?

My thought for Astronomers: Do this Young(er)! ?

P.S. Some cool ideas re. moving observatories.... ?

My wife is threatening to move- with me  I should quickly  add!- but I wonder if I will be able to unbolt my observatory from its concrete base? - The bolts have started to  look a bit rusty  and stubborn - a bit like me really !-We have already debated that the new house owners could have a discrete Jacuzzi or green house on the concrete octagon when vacated (no sun though as it is all hedged in now!) - still I can see the truck with the fiberglass bits heading off to some new dark site hopefully 1000 metres up - unlikely in Eastbourne! Still my point survives all these considerations,  it will go with us!-Tony.

On 20/07/2018 at 20:46, tony210 said:

My wife is threatening to move- with me  I should quickly  add!- but I wonder if I will be able to unbolt my observatory from its concrete base? - The bolts have started to  look a bit rusty  and stubborn 

If WD40 doesn’t do the trick, take  an angle grinder to them, they’ll be gone in minutes.

My view is if you haven’t built your observatory out of bricks and mortar, then you can take it with you.

My retirement dome purchased second hand has already done 365 miles from it’s previous location and is currently in storage, so it still has a way to go.

22 hours ago, tomato said:

If WD40 doesn’t do the trick, take  an angle grinder to them, they’ll be gone in minutes.

My view is if you haven’t built your observatory out of bricks and mortar, then you can take it with you.

My retirement dome purchased second hand has already done 365 miles from it’s previous location and is currently in storage, so it still has a way to go.

Thanks - I agree - I like the idea that WD40 and an angle grinder will solve many of life's more difficult problems- Tony.

Archived