Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's your dream telescope/equipment?

emadmoussa

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/07/2018 at 20:39, emadmoussa said:

Never stop believing. At some point in my life I couldn't imagine owning a mediocre telescope, much less one as expensive as a second hand car. 

I agree absolutely. A decent telescope when I craved one in the early 70's was several months salary, and well beyond my reach, but now we enjoy incredible affordable choice.:happy11:

When I was starting out in the 70's the idea that I'd ever own a 5" frac was laughable, and triplet apos were the stuff of myth, in the shape of the legendary Cooke Photovisual Triplet.

Now I have a 130mm f/7 triplet in my back garden.

I finally got to see M13 through a 16 inch dob last night (globs being the target that is supposed to benefit most from more aperture) and while it was impressive and very bright, I didn't have a different emotional response in comparison to the view through smaller scopes. Having had more experience of larger scopes, I'm not sure more is more; I wonder if it is ever really beneficial to go above 6-8 inches aperture?

3 hours ago, Ags said:

I finally got to see M13 through a 16 inch dob last night (globs being the target that is supposed to benefit most from more aperture) and while it was impressive and very bright, I didn't have a different emotional response in comparison to the view through smaller scopes. Having had more experience of larger scopes, I'm not sure more is more; I wonder if it is ever really beneficial to go above 6-8 inches aperture?

Interesting! I simply don't use my 10" for DSO observing any more due to the superior views in my 15".  Globs and PN really benefit, as do galaxies; all targets in general - and especially when using say an O-III filter, with a small bit of a hit in the widefield tfov attainable.  I also see more colour (stars, Saturn and Jupiter, certain PNs, even a tinge of red once in M42 in addition to strong green).

The main advantage of the 10" for me now is quicker cooling for brief planetary observing sessions (otherwise if I've time to allow 2-3 hrs cooling, the 15" gives better views when conditions are decent.  If the conditions are not decent, then it's just not going to be a good night for either scope!).

Another significant advantage of the 15" is how pleasurable it is to use - movement and balance even when using a range of heavy 100° EPs + paracorr, and real ease of use for manually tracking at high powers.

5 hours ago, niallk said:

Interesting! I simply don't use my 10" for DSO observing any more due to the superior views in my 15".  Globs and PN really benefit, as do galaxies; all targets in general - and especially when using say an O-III filter, with a small bit of a hit in the widefield tfov attainable.  I also see more colour (stars, Saturn and Jupiter, certain PNs, even a tinge of red once in M42 in addition to strong green).

The main advantage of the 10" for me now is quicker cooling for brief planetary observing sessions (otherwise if I've time to allow 2-3 hrs cooling, the 15" gives better views when conditions are decent.  If the conditions are not decent, then it's just not going to be a good night for either scope!).

Another significant advantage of the 15" is how pleasurable it is to use - movement and balance even when using a range of heavy 100° EPs + paracorr, and real ease of use for manually tracking at high powers.

This all boils down to UK skies and the capability they have. Experience & huge amount of testing has proved that an 8/10" scope will perform best under UK skies. Thats not to say a larger scope may perform better on the occasional nights (usually 2/3 per year). Its really all down the 'seeing' we have here. This mainly is dust particles, moisture effecting transparency. 

A larger scope can increase the bad seeing, which is very annoying and upsetting.   Your Cork skies must suit you 15".. lucky so n so :)

On 14/07/2018 at 08:59, Stub Mandrel said:

To dream of ways of suspending yourself over a dob from the washing line...

The way my garden is now, the patio is 6" above the lawn. That might be just enough height for me to reach Ep off 200mm Dob. 

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That Fireworks Galaxy was only an 'inexpensive' Tec 140 ?

*sniff*

TEC140s are ten-a-penny on this forum, seems everyone's got one. I want something a bit better.

Archived