Narrowband

What's your dream telescope/equipment?

emadmoussa

Bit of a cop out not what I want but what I can' wait to see is the launch and deployent of the James Webb telescope Hubble brought us some amazing pictures but if successful James Webb will open up new horizons

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mog3768 said:

Bit of a cop out not what I want but what I can' wait to see is the launch and deployent of the James Webb telescope Hubble brought us some amazing pictures but if successful James Webb will open up new horizons

How about this--I foil a terrorist plot to blow up NASA headquarters and my reward is unfettered use the James Webb telescope for a week and NASA will fly all my SGL friends to Houston for a week long star party.

On 11/07/2018 at 08:23, emadmoussa said:

I'm considering buying the Meade 12" LX90. How did you find yours? Compared to other scopes? 

I have the LX90 12" and love it. Works really well with the 30mm 82 ES ep to maximise FOV. However the scope is heavy! I can just about move it from the lounge to the tripod, a grand distance of 12ft or so, without blacking out. It also needs the Meade giant field tripod, the standard tripod is not ideal for this scope. 

However in answer to this thread my ideal scope would be a Planewave PW1000 and with it i would need the ideal bank balance, mansion, grounds and moral strength to part with £0.5 million on a telescope!!

I dream of really dark skies, good conditions, and the opportunity to observe!

I really pushed the boat out to get my 15" Obsession.  Ya I'd love a real big one, but the 15" suits me, and I've lots more to see with it ;)

post-34579-0-32868700-1432759376.thumb.jpg.23a0a24eda190c5ce5c8083b205fe4cd.jpg

I've really taken to solar Ha, and love my little Lunt LS50DS.

So I'm going to say my dream scope would be a Lunt 152 ? (DS if they do it, on a solid mount!)

Dream scope? Hubble ;)

Actually some sort of large scope, maybe a 12+ inch SCT on a goto eq mount, with a special building to permanently house it in, would be my dream.  My dream is really to gain more knowledge of the night sky, than getting very expensive equipment (though my wife would disagree on that statement).

4 minutes ago, xvariablestarx said:

(though my wife would disagree on that statement).

Makes me think of a recent conversation with my partner:

Partner: Don't you sometimes wish I was obsessed with astronomy like you?

Ags: Heavens no! Then there would be no brake on the insanity - the house would be crowded with astronomical equipment in every corner!

Partner: Ahem! The house IS crammed with telescopes, cameras, tripods...

26 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I dont have a dream scope (per say). I love the one i buy, when i buy it. I do drool whenever i see a Sumerian scope. That will never happen for me.

Never stop believing. At some point in my life I couldn't imagine owning a mediocre telescope, much less one as expensive as a second hand car. 

25 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Never stop believing. At some point in my life I couldn't imagine owning a mediocre telescope, much less one as expensive as a second hand car. 

Its not a matter of cost. Its the position of the EP. To reach it (from a wheelchair) i'd have to build up my patio, and/or lower my garden.

Dobs and wheelchairs are not good friends.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Its not a matter of cost. Its the position of the EP. To reach it (from a wheelchair) i'd have to build up my patio, and/or lower my garden.

Dobs and wheelchairs are not good friends.

Very sorry, mate. I didn' realise that was what you meant. 

Archived