Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's your dream telescope/equipment?

emadmoussa

If I lived in a dark sky location, such as a cottage somewhere near to Kielder, hypothetically I would like a David Lukehurst build, 18" Dob, F4, Nicol Optics mirror. For what I do, which is very occasional trips to a dark sky location, my current scopes are applicable. Observing from home does not matter, either a small refractor or binoculars are fine. My attention has been on upgrading for the return to cold conditions and sleeping system for going light weight wild camping, I can venture to remote and dark places, hopefully taking a refractor, twenty minute walk away from the car and not having - each time I venture out, to think about returning home in the early morning hours.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This IS my dream scope. Got it back in April.  Bortle 3 sky is 15 minutes drive away. 

What I actually dream of is more free time to pursue my obsession with the night sky and everything it contains. 

20180420_202845.jpg

All great scope options

no winners or losers here !!

for me the telescope hardware is the easy thing / part !

the optics !! 

As russel porter said “the mirrors the thing!

figuring great optics is a hard and probably rare occurrence

I own optics /telescopes from some of the best astronomical opticians in the world

to list them is to diss them  

so in no order of judgement 

astrophysics 180 EDT  refractor   Seeing is believing!

you really need 2to look through one !!

Vixen 150 ED not apochromatic but nearly so performs well at high powers

David sinden  16 inch zerodur f6 f15 Newtonian /cassegrain  1/30 th wave 

David sinden 10 inch zerodur f8 Newtonian with a 1/30th wave secondary with a 1/20th wave optical window 

AE optics 12 inch Newtonian f6 on an AE Type D equatorial mount with dual axis drives

10 inch fuller scopes export Newtonian mk 4 mount dual axis drives 4 inch Newtonian guidescope

to name a few ia have more

regaurds

v

v

21 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

Personally, I can think of several scopes:

1. 16-inch Schmidt Cassegrain in an obsy. I can think of the Meade LX600 16-inch. Of course, acquiring one will mean selling my family in the slavery market. It's more expensive than my last house deposit. 

meade-16-lx600-acf-f-8-telescope-with-starlock-1_590x590_crop_center.jpg.84e4a6ff7819faf4640e7add18a9e65d.jpg

Realistically, I'd like an Orion Optics (UK) 16-inch dob - large aperture, great mirror, and reasonably low eyepiece level. Something like Moonshane's scope. I love the wooden base you made for the scope, Moonshane. 

Fire away!! 

When I was looking to upgrade from my 12” lx200, I was looking at buying the 16” Meade, but decided to look at other options, that’s when I came across Obsession Telescopes, I was looking at the 20” or maybe the 25” at a push, chatted to Dave many times, about the difference, finally made the decision to push the boat out and order the 25”, rang Dave to place the order and  just asked in passing would he ever make a second batch of 30’s, only to be informed that he had a batch going through at the moment, so the order for the dream scope was placed ?

2 minutes ago, Obsession 30 said:

When I was looking to upgrade from my 12” lx200, I was looking at buying the 16” Meade, but decided to look at other options, that’s when I came across Obsession Telescopes, I was looking at the 20” or maybe the 25” at a push, chatted to Dave many times, about the difference, finally made the decision to push the boat out and order the 25”, rang Dave to place the order and  just asked in passing would he ever make a second batch of 30’s, only to be informed that he had a batch going through at the moment, so the order for the dream scope was placed ?

I'm considering buying the Meade 12" LX90. How did you find yours? Compared to other scopes? 

6 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I'm considering buying the Meade 12" LX90. How did you find yours? Compared to other scopes? 

Really depends what you are comparing it to, I upgraded from my 8” lx200 to the 12” , the 8” was a lot lighter than the 12” that’s for sure, but viewing was vastly improved on the 12” but obviously does not compete with the 18” and 30” Obsession Telescopes, but enjoyed the views from it for many years until aperture fever came back ?

1 hour ago, Obsession 30 said:

Really depends what you are comparing it to, I upgraded from my 8” lx200 to the 12” , the 8” was a lot lighter than the 12” that’s for sure, but viewing was vastly improved on the 12” but obviously does not compete with the 18” and 30” Obsession Telescopes, but enjoyed the views from it for many years until aperture fever came back ?

I used to have a 12" Dob, loved it. But now I'm starting from scratch and hoping at some point to have an obsy, hence considering the Meade LX90 12". My only worry is the field of view, I prefer DSOs to planets. 

Do you still have the LX200?

I've not long achieved my dream practical scope which is a cpc800 HD. I honestly never thought I'd own one so consider myself very lucky. Because of light summer skies and work I've only used it a couple of times and I'm still trying to sort out power supply issues as last time I used it slewing pretty much ground to a holt (hopefully sorted with beefier cable and supply), even so the optics are stunning enabling me to see m51 for the first time, and the setup and goto are easy and accurate.

If I had a garden suitable for an obsy i would go for a cpc1100 HD as a dream scope.

I can't complain about my little Tak either, but it doesn't hurt to dream of the fs100 or tsa120, or even a nice tec140. 

Having fun with solar at the moment so wouldn't turn down a lunt 80 either, more realistic a 60 maybe ?

20 hours ago, andrew s said:

I am very lucky and have mine. A OO ODK 16" on a Paramount MEII in an observatory. However, I would like it and me to be in a prime observing location.

Regards Andrew 

I am now living my dream scope - having retired (for the second and final time) my dream scope is the same as Andrews - The ODK16  on an MEII.. Planning my move to the South of France in the next couple of months to try and maximise the system...

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

29 minutes ago, Gina said:

I really shouldn't read this thread - I don't have the funds - but I guess one can dream ?

The whole point of astronomy is touching a world beyond our physical reach. So, dreaming isn't bad at all. That's the whole point, maybe. OK, I'll shut up. I tend to babble pseudo-philosophy when I don't have much to say. 

35 minutes ago, Bukko said:

I am now living my dream scope - having retired (for the second and final time) my dream scope is the same as Andrews - The ODK16  on an MEII.. Planning my move to the South of France in the next couple of months to try and maximise the system...

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

WOW! Not sure which is more of a monster, the mount or the scope. Very neat kit indeed. 

59 minutes ago, Bukko said:

Bukko - you are clearly a man with impeccable judgement and taste. ? However, what is seriously worrying is that you look uncannily like my older brother ?

Good luck with the move.

Regards Andrew

58 minutes ago, Gina said:

I really shouldn't read this thread - I don't have the funds - but I guess one can dream ?

It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have and judging from your posts you do a considerable amount. Remember dreaming may be free but living is reality. I am sure there is a lot of expensive kit lying about unloved and unused - doing nothing.

Regards Andrew

2 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

I used to have a 12" Dob, loved it. But now I'm starting from scratch and hoping at some point to have an obsy, hence considering the Meade LX90 12". My only worry is the field of view, I prefer DSOs to planets. 

Do you still have the LX200?

Yes, still have 12” lx200, have not used it for a few years as it used to live in a observatory but that burnt down a couple of years ago, just got lucky the scope was not in it at the time .

I think you are going to find the sct a smaller field of view along with it being dimmer as it loses more light with all the mirrors and centre obstruction, which will not help with finding faint fuzzies, obviously the sct is a better observatory scope , but I think a dob would give you better views of deep sky objects and if you could pick up a used 15” or 18” Obsession Telescopes it would just blow you away with what can be seen.

But it really depends what is most important to you

22 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Bukko - you are clearly a man with impeccable judgement and taste. ? However, what is seriously worrying is that you look uncannily like my older brother ?

Good luck with the move.

Regards Andrew

Amazing coincidences for sure...

I am sure we are not related, but my oldest sone is also called Andrew...

Thanks for the good wishes on the move, I know we will get more access to the night sky than currently available here.

Gordon.

1 minute ago, Obsession 30 said:

Yes, still have 12” lx200, have not used it for a few years as it used to live in a observatory but that burnt down a couple of years ago, just got lucky the scope was not in it at the time .

I think you are going to find the sct a smaller field of view along with it being dimmer as it loses more light with all the mirrors and centre obstruction, which will not help with finding faint fuzzies, obviously the sct is a better observatory scope , but I think a dob would give you better views of deep sky objects and if you could pick up a used 15” or 18” Obsession Telescopes it would just blow you away with what can be seen.

But it really depends what is most important to you

14-inch plus dob would be too big, I'm afraid. My house is fairly small, I can stretch my arms in the lounge and end up knocking something off in the kitchen. ;)

Would you consider putting your SCT up for sale?

I as yet don't know enough to have a dream scope but the ones I have got have given me and my youngest son a common interest and brought us closer which this time last year I could only dream about.....

Sadly my dream scope has never been made, it would be a high quality Maksutov 150mm at F9 focal length, this would be perfect for me, and no using a longer 150 with a reducer is not the way to go

4 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

14-inch plus dob would be too big, I'm afraid. My house is fairly small, I can stretch my arms in the lounge and end up knocking something off in the kitchen. ;)

Would you consider putting your SCT up for sale?

Never thought about it, will have a think and let you know if I do

4 hours ago, andrew s said:

It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have and judging from your posts you do a considerable amount. Remember dreaming may be free but living is reality. I am sure there is a lot of expensive kit lying about unloved and unused - doing nothing.

Regards Andrew

So true!. My least used instruments are a 30" Dob, 8.5" refractor, 300mm binocular and 5" F15 APO. My most used are a couple of 16" SCT's, you can't beat convenience.  ?

The ideal setup I am working towards is:

- C6, the biggest aperture small scope I can think of

- C6 reducer and 1.25" accessories

- AZ GTi, because my family demand tracking and the C6 is too narrowfield for star hopping

I think these will go fine on my Report tripod, one day we'll see.

Archived