NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7129 - fantastic object!

ollypenrice

This was guest Paul Kummer's idea, and an excellent idea it was! We dedicated the TEC140/Atik 460/TEC140 to the object, which is not all that much photographed, and added captures over 7 June nights as we got to grips with the processing. We went for a lot - really a lot - of colour and found that the Ha reached a certain point and didn't benefit from much more. There are about 24 hours data in this result and, at some point, I'll try a processing restart from scratch because this is a target apart from the norm. Check it out in fuller resolution. (This is a crop.)

I think the object is sensational.

12521021_NGC7129HaLRGBWebCropcopy.thumb.jpg.a00049c354381f32d72d5e5656659631.jpg

Olly and Paul.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a beauty. This was my last target which couldn't be completed due to losing astro dark. Works really well in widefield too. Lots of colourful stars and dust in the region. Stunning image.

Thanks and, yes, I agree regarding the widefield:

530892848_NGC7129HaLRGBWebcopy.thumb.jpg.42cc1b862b1533ca5f26950548680d12.jpg

Olly

My, this is an interesting image. Please forgive my ignorance but the Ha? C shaped region just to the lower right of centre has very distinct edges compared to others elsewhere on the image, any explanation for this?

21 hours ago, harry page said:

Hi Olly

not seen this before , must be a very faint object , the Ha ring is very interesting

24 hrs of data not got that much this year ?

The stars seem a little odd processing or scope ?

Harry

Tricky stars, Harry. They are very large and dominant so the hardest part of the processing is holding them down while pulling out the faint stuff. This is a rich MW starfield. All advice welcome!!!

Olly

PS I think that stars coming to us through thick dust fields have a right to look a bit odd, maybe. A good bit of reddening, haloes created by scattering... Hey, PI says be true to the data! ?

On 22/06/2018 at 21:31, ollypenrice said:

Thanks and, yes, I agree regarding the widefield:

Great image. Had to google this one. Apparently, a slightly different framing with the nebula more to the right and up would have brought a star cluster into the image. But I'm not sure your scope/sensor would have covered both these targets.

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Hey, PI says be true to the data! ?

But, isn't this processed with Photoshop? No excuse then. ?

If you're willing to make your transition to the dark side complete, you can reduce the stars with a star mask (quelle horreur) and morphological transformation. (Emoticon redundant here.)

13 hours ago, tomato said:

My, this is an interesting image. Please forgive my ignorance but the Ha? C shaped region just to the lower right of centre has very distinct edges compared to others elsewhere on the image, any explanation for this?

There are so called Herbig Haro objects in and around this nebula, that can be the highly luminescent Ha regions you see.

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image. Had to google this one. Apparently, a slightly different framing with the nebula more to the right and up would have brought a star cluster into the image. But I'm not sure your scope/sensor would have covered both these targets.

But, isn't this processed with Photoshop? No excuse then. ?

If you're willing to make your transition to the dark side complete, you can reduce the stars with a star mask (quelle horreur) and morphological transformation. (Emoticon redundant here.)

There are so called Herbig Haro objects in and around this nebula, that can be the highly luminescent Ha regions you see.

I do use star masks sometimes but in this instance they didn't prove very satisfactory. (In fact my method appears in Steve Richards' Dark Art book on processing.) Masks are a problem when stars are set in faint dust or nebulosity, I think. I also use a morphological transformation via Noel's Actions but, mostly, I work on big stars by 'reverse processing' a bottom layer. Essentially I pin the background around a star and pull the curve down above that.

I hope more people will have a go at this one. Now's the time for european imagers. It's perfectly placed.

Olly

21 hours ago, tomato said:

As Wim says, Herbig Haro objects. While they were much stronger in Ha, they were also visible in red.

This is not, in fact, a predominantly Ha target. The considerable amount of Ha needed a very hard stretch indeed to lift it above the red. OSC users could do well on this, I suspect.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Now's the time for european imagers. It's perfectly placed.

Unfortunately not for me. My gear is in summer storage for two more months. The only targets I chase at the moment are mosquitoes.

Beautiful and peculiar.  As always, a processing tour de force.  Kind of reminiscent of a nebula in Orion that looks like a fly fishing lure (I think)  Can't think of the NGC number at present.  Its very colorful though.  This one reminds me of it--though that one is more angular than this one.

Rodd

Yes that is an very interesting and beautiful starforming area, I went for it with my DSLR last season but of it is of course not near as beatiful as yours.

That is really a lovely piece of work Olly

Framing with wide field is sensational -a great object and  proves to me that the interest we have in amateur astrophotography is wholly warranted-can only dream of 24 hrs of data on one target!- Tony.

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Beautiful and peculiar.  As always, a processing tour de force.  Kind of reminiscent of a nebula in Orion that looks like a fly fishing lure (I think)  Can't think of the NGC number at present.  Its very colorful though.  This one reminds me of it--though that one is more angular than this one.

Rodd

If I remember correctly, Olly imaged that nebula (ngc 2170) a year or two ago. Or maybe you mean ngc 2261, Hubble's variable nebula?

Great image Olly! Book-marked it in my things to do folder if it is still up there when astrodarkness reaches Sweden. Except for chasing blood sucking instects, as Wim pointed out, we have to settle for watching the world cup in football up here....

10 hours ago, gorann said:

Great image Olly! Book-marked it in my things to do folder if it is still up there when astrodarkness reaches Sweden. Except for chasing blood sucking instects, as Wim pointed out, we have to settle for watching the world cup in football up here....

Give me the blood sucking insects any day!!!

?lly

On 26/06/2018 at 17:45, ollypenrice said:

Come south, Harry...

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Give me the blood sucking insects any day!!!

?lly

Come north, Olly ...

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Come north, Olly ...

I did once ride my motorbike up through Denmark, then took the ferry to Sweden, another ferry to Finland and thus north into Norway and home from Oslo. I found it fascinating to ride out of any semblance of night whatever, though I didn't see the midnight sun. I was also too late to catch the worst of the bloodsuckers - fortunately. Mid-August, I guess, when we were up in Tromso. I'd like to do a trip north in the winter, too.

On 26/06/2018 at 19:22, Rodd said:

Rodd

Could it be this one, Rodd? NGC2170 as Wim says.

NGC%202170%2035%20HRS%20%20web-L.jpg

It makes me think of seven sisters, all on LSD...

Olly

Archived