NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pair of Jups from 3 June 2018 - seeing fair, transparency poor

geoflewis

Hi all,

I had fair seeing, but poor transparancy due to haze building into cloud, but managed a couple of RGB-RGB-RGB sequence (9 AVIs per image) last night, before I lost out to total cloud cover.

Jupiter_2018June3_21210_gdbl_rgb.thumb.jpg.e23ece68a83bb60679bba69f9ee49277.jpg

The 2 mages are approximately half an hour apart with the later one close to Jupiter's transit, hence the slightly crisper detail. Each image is best 20% of 4000 frames per AVI, so 7200 frames in each final image. The building cloud was causing grainy images, so I've opted for fairly soft processing.

Regards, Geof

52 minutes ago, morimarty said:

A lovely pair of jupiters Geof, like you say the later one is definetly crisper.

Thanks, I reset the ADC and tweaked the focus a tad between the 2 capture sequences, so that may have helped too.

10 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Great pair, Geof! Shots near zenith do make the difference. Nice work! The C14 yields fantastic images!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie, yes but Jupiter's southern transit from my UK location is only about 23 degrees altitude, so a long way off the zenith... ?. Cheers, Geof

3 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Reggie, yes but Jupiter's southern transit from my UK location is only about 23 degrees altitude, so a long way off the zenith... ?. Cheers, Geof

23 degrees, geesh! That makes it all the more impressive ?

11 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Awesome Jupiters!

Seeing beats transparency, it seems.

Thanks Ruud,

Yes, in my opinion 'seeing' is everything for planetary imaging, so long as you can actually see it. I just set up tonight and the seeing looked even better than last night, but before I could capture anything I got total cloud cover over Jupiter, so that was that.

Oh well, c'est la vie....!!

Geof

1 minute ago, orion25 said:

23 degrees, geesh! That makes it all the more impressive ?

Thanks ?. At least Jupiter is at 23 degrees, Saturn barely gets to 15 degrees this year from the UK and Mars around 10 degrees - now that one is going to be very challenging even though it will be big. Next year Jupiter will also be well below 20 degrees and stays low for a few years, so I will probably mainly do DSO in the coming years, though Mars in 2020 will be back up around 40 degrees I think....

Cheers, Geof

12 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks ?. At least Jupiter is at 23 degrees, Saturn barely gets to 15 degrees this year from the UK and Mars around 10 degrees - now that one is going to be very challenging even though it will be big. Next year Jupiter will also be well below 20 degrees and stays low for a few years, so I will probably mainly do DSO in the coming years, though Mars in 2020 will be back up around 40 degrees I think....

Cheers, Geof

I'm in the southeastern U.S. where Jupiter reaches 41 degrees alt, Saturn = 34 and Mars = 31. I'm going for images of Saturn later this month at opposition. I'm trying to wait until at least the beginning of July to go for Mars. It's a tempting, ruddy beacon right now though, lol.

1 minute ago, orion25 said:

I'm in the southeastern U.S. where Jupiter reaches 41 degrees alt, Saturn = 34 and Mars = 31. I'm going for images of Saturn later this month at opposition. I'm trying to wait until at least the beginning of July to go for Mars. It's a tempting, ruddy beacon right now though, lol.

I wish...?. I was over staying with family in SC for last year's total solar eclipse which was great... ?

3 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I wish...?. I was over staying with family in SC for last year's total solar eclipse which was great... ?

Last summer's eclipse was awesome! I was on the Cherokee reservation in North Carolina right in the path of totality. I got some great images, including the corona at totality and the diamond ring. It was my first total eclipse; I'll never forget it ;) 

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

Last summer's eclipse was awesome! I was on the Cherokee reservation in North Carolina right in the path of totality. I got some great images, including the corona at totality and the diamond ring. It was my first total eclipse; I'll never forget it ;) 

I totally agree. I have family that live in and around Greenville, SC almost bang on the center line and yes it was awesome. I made a decision not to take any astro gear with me, but I did snap some hand held pics with my Nikon DSLr and 18-200mm zoom lens, no great shakes, but they will help refresh the still wonderful memories of that fabulous natural show. It was quite a party and also my first visible total solar eclipse, the one in the UK in 1999 being totally clouded out.

Cheers, Geof

1 minute ago, Pete Presland said:

Lovely detailed images, very tough from the UK at the moment.

Thanks Pete,

It sure is challenging, but still fun to try and all the more rewarding when those brief periods of fair/good seeing do come along.

Cheers, Geof

Archived