Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6 faces of Venus from 7,10,13,14,20,22.05.2018 Baader UV filter

Not sure what these images prove if anything. From the 7,10,13,14,20,22 of may with my C9.25/Baader UV filter. I use to think the lack of surface detail was purely down to the conditions, but I think it really is rotation of the cloud features. The cloud features rotate every 4-5 days I believe.

There does seem to be a little similarity, between images when 4 days has passed.

554406433_2018_05.71013142022BaaderUVfilter.thumb.png.a5dcd73b70767e38fc636ad80017cf22.png

Great images, Pete. I didn't think about rotation as being a factor in seeing cloud detail on Venus. Thanks for suggesting that!?

I just shot some video of Venus last evening that I'm dying to process; I could easily see detail visually near the equator using a variable polarizer. I decided to attempt imaging with the polarizer and a Barlow and was able to translate some of what was apparent visually. I need to see what Registax 6 will produce, but I'll have to wait until I complete more mundane tasks ?.

I'll keep you posted. I've had good results with detail visually with the polarizer, surprisingly good. I'm using the Meade Series 4000, 5%-25% transmission.

Cheers,

Reggie

16 hours ago, orion25 said:

Great images, Pete. I didn't think about rotation as being a factor in seeing cloud detail on Venus. Thanks for suggesting that!?

I just shot some video of Venus last evening that I'm dying to process; I could easily see detail visually near the equator using a variable polarizer. I decided to attempt imaging with the polarizer and a Barlow and was able to translate some of what was apparent visually. I need to see what Registax 6 will produce, but I'll have to wait until I complete more mundane tasks ?.

I'll keep you posted. I've had good results with detail visually with the polarizer, surprisingly good. I'm using the Meade Series 4000, 5%-25% transmission.

Cheers,

Reggie

Look forward to seeing your results Reggie, I hadn't thought about rotation much either until recently. I did always wonder why the view seemed "different" sometimes though. Doing some research it does seem to suggest that although the plnet takes over 200 days to rotate, the cloud formations only take 4-5 days.

6 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Look forward to seeing your results Reggie, I hadn't thought about rotation much either until recently. I did always wonder why the view seemed "different" sometimes though. Doing some research it does seem to suggest that although the plnet takes over 200 days to rotate, the cloud formations only take 4-5 days.

Pete, I was pleasantly surprised with my results! Registax 6 brought out some great detail from my video, more than I expected. The variable polarizer really made a difference. Wow, what a disparity between planet and cloud rotation! I knew about Venus' slow planetary spin but not about the fast cloud - that's mindboggling! I posted my result in this section; when you get a chance (if you haven't already) take a look! ;) 

Cheers,

Reggie

Archived