Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Outdoor storage vs arachnids

I've been approached by Swmbo. "Can't the new scope be kept outside ?" :hmh:

Now for those of you keeping track my scope is a Truss dob 14" and while it can be dismantled, at its smallest still stands just over half a meter in height and just under that square.  Due to the declination wooden bearings it isn't flat on top so can't be covered with a board and be dressed to look part of the furniture :help:

So. ....if it was a solid tube it wouldn't be a problem. Hair net either end, pop in the garden shed,  job done. 

Not possible with a Lukehurst. 

Question: Outside storage shed/box which is not only waterproof but damp proof and spider proof not to mention secure.  Does such a thing exist ?

I can't be the first with this dilemma. How have others got round this ? An enquiring mind would love to know.

Ally

I have one of these. Great high security steel,shed with pickproof lock and five point locking on the door. Insurance and police rated. Excellent ventilation system and it’s always dry inside and no cobwebs to be seen.

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/

At the moment still loads of stuff from moving house in there but will be cleared shortly and will be used for scope storage. Tucks away nicely in a corner. :icon_biggrin:

John

B4C9F45D-81F9-4C14-926D-47A5C3F14F04.jpeg

We also have a Lukehurst Dob. I made a shroud for ours and it now lives permanently assembled in its own roll off shed.  You can find the thread here

We have made a couple of amendments in the last few months. Our secondary is covered in a drawstring chamois bag when the scope is not in use. We also got David Lukehurst to fit some rare earth magnets to the wooden cover for the primary so that it is held in place when the scope is stored horizontally - this also holds a chamois in place over the primary. ( It helps that we are only about 30 miles away from where he lives/works). I have also made a large microfibre bag which can go over the top end of the scope to help keep beasties off the telrad etc.

Having it fully assembled and effectively outside means that set up time is minimal. Occasional cleaning is still required but this has been minimal. 

If a hairnet works on a solid tube take a look on ebay.  For well less than a tenner you can buy, variously, a huge net that suspends from the ceiling to make a 'princess' bed for a child, a huge bed mosquito net, and maybe for <£20  a large chimnea or BBQ or outdoir furniture cover.  The chimnea or BBQ cover should keep the worst of the weather off, but if you have a suitable shed the mosquito nets should do a first class job if wrapping round to keep spiders out.  Just tie the open end with an old shoelace or machine a thick hem in the open end and add a drawstring.

Keeping a scope in a damp or humid environment can lead to fungus and your mirror coatings will be vulnerable to attack.

A dry, ventilated shed is usually ok I think,as long as you can keep the mirrors covered with a suitable material.

If I were you and you have a shed I'd get down to Wickes or somehwere and get a half sheet of 12mm exterior plywood.  Make a box 0.5m x 0.5m x 0.6m with a hinged lid (on the top or front).  Seal around the joins with silicon and attach a weatherproof seal around the lid and keep the scope in there in the shed.  You can chuck in some of the large dessicant sachets that are available cheaply online to soak up any moisture that finds it's way in.

37 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

If I were you and you have a shed I'd get down to Wickes or somehwere and get a half sheet of 12mm exterior plywood.  Make a box 0.5m x 0.5m x 0.6m with a hinged lid (on the top or front).  Seal around the joins with silicon and attach a weatherproof seal around the lid and keep the scope in there in the shed.  You can chuck in some of the large dessicant sachets that are available cheaply online to soak up any moisture that finds it's way in.

@CraigT82, that Sir, is a grand idea. So that is exactly what I will do. Thank you all for your input, it's very much appreciated.

Ally :icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

Can you elaborate please @niallk

What @CraigT82 said! :grin:

Some people also use a low power bulb to maintain a base level of gentle warmth to prevent dewing, and the bulb needs to be monitored for faults.

Personally, I keep my dob in doors. Hell, I'd be glad to look at your Lukehurst all day in my house :thumbsup:  I have heard of people having issues (eg @estwing) ... and this is why I don't keep mine in my shed.  It would be great from a cooling down perspective, but if I had any problems, it will be an ordeal to recoat from Ireland.  Not sure where I'd go: UK or ship back to the US.  Neither is going to be cheap!!

A feature I'd love to have is a drop down tail gate, wiffle tree support, and a thinner mirror.  Like the stunning 20" dob @faulksy built, and recently sold on. The mirror sling in my dob works very well, but is too fiddly to be lifting the mirror in and out all the time.   Then I imagine one could keep the scope outside, mirror indoors, with easier options for faster open air cooling when the forecast is looking good, with no fuss mirror install.

I had coatings fail after two years having been kept in a dry shed ...and was told that it was the "wrong " place for it and a lot of dewing up with temperature extremes wouldn't of helped...make of that as you wish.

lives under the bed now in a mirror box kindly made by mapstar 

UPDATE......Swmbo has taken pity on my recent purchase. It can live indoors provided I build an 'ornamental' (her word, not mine) cupboard in the corner of the lounge so that it can have a table lamp on top ?

Have to admit, I'm considerably happier with that outcome. 

Thank you all for your opinions/views. Where would we get all this invaluable info if not for SGL ?

Clear skies 

Ally

Archived