NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Astrograph jobby first light piccies

Tim

When I say "new", its anything but, new only to me. As it turns out I forgot to pick up the coma corrector doodad that goes with it, so the stars are bloated toward the edges of the pics.

I bought this to test the potential of the new skywatcher mak-newt if it ever comes out, as I may swap my C9.25 for one of those.

At any rate, here is the first pics from the thing, all no more than 1 hour 30 mins total, and all have my new "rule", no more than 10 mins processing. These were taken wednesday night between 8.30 and 6am with a canon 350D. If you'd like more info on settings or exposures etc just ask, too tired to post them now. the seeing was distinctly average, very twinkly, and there was a fair dew, but also a frost and it helped keep it clear I think.

All in all I am quite pleased with these results, I think they show the potential very nicely.

Thanks for looking.

TJ

9205_normal.jpeg

(click to see larger M57 Widefield)

9206_normal.jpeg

(click to see larger Vega)

9207_normal.jpeg

(click to see the California Nebula)

9208_normal.jpeg

(click to get closer to IC1805)

9209_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9210_normal.jpeg

(click to see larger M42 at dawn)

9211_normal.jpeg

(click for a bit bigger Pacman)

9212_normal.jpeg

(click for bigger M45)

9213_normal.jpeg

(click to see larger Rosette)

Phew, took longer to upload than to process! Cheers!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Steve it shows promise thats for sure.

Its an old Orion optics tube that has a replaced secondary to illuminate the chips of a dslr. It really needs the corrector thing, which I am hoping will arrive soon. It has a slightly narrower FOV than my WO72 with FR, but the 150mm aperture helps a lot i'm sure.

It will also be real easy to take to dark skies, and quick to set up. Having the diffraction spikes makes it SOOOOO much easier to know you've got focus as tight as can be with the DSLR, so I have made removeable crosshairs for my other tubes. The other thing, even though they are actually robbing the image of a bit of detail, I find that Joe Public and his Mrs much prefer the pictures with spiky stars. The fake ones from Noels never really look in keeping with the image technically I dont think.

Cheers

TJ

HI Tim,

Join the "Russian Revolution" and go with the Bahtinov masks for focussing - they are so quick and easy to use... I don't think I have done one for the 72 yet but let me have the details and I'll knock up the template for one this evening...

with another 5 days + of cloudy skies got no chance of doing any imaging myself :undecided:

Billy...

A bit off topic...

Join the "Russian Revolution" and go with the Bahtinov masks for focussing - they are so quick and easy to use... I don't think I have done one for the 72 yet but let me have the details and I'll knock up the template for one this evening...

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing one for the megrez 90 (621mm) :-)

Steve, it is F5 with 150mm aperture. I dont think they make it anymore? But it has gotten me quite excited about the potential of the mak-newt that is due out (any dates yet??????) and I may swap my C9 for one of those. With a large aperture and fast F ratio is should be lovely and quick, it just depends how flat the field is.

Billy, I find front mounted masks to be a bit of a nuisance, especially on the C9.25 which has a flexible dew shield and really needs focus setting with the shield in place. Is the bahtinov really that good? on a small scope with a wide fov like the 72 how accurate can it get the focus, because the stars are pinpoint anyway in most cases, and its a microscopic adjustment between spot on and just off?

Thanks

TJ

Steve, it is F5 with 150mm aperture.

Then you should find the MPCC works a treat.

But it has gotten me quite excited about the potential of the mak-newt that is due out (any dates yet??????)

We can't be sure but I'll be surprised if it isn't here in about 10-12 days.

With a large aperture and fast F ratio is should be lovely and quick, it just depends how flat the field is.

It has been optimised for CCDs up to DSLR size so it should be suitable. SteveL will be putting mine through its paces with his DSLR-sized CCD - weather permitting!

HTH

It has been optimised for CCDs up to DSLR size so it should be suitable. SteveL will be putting mine through its paces with his DSLR-sized CCD - weather permitting!

I really hope the beast arrives before Kielder!

Good to hear, I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.

Had I known a year ago what I know now, I'd prolly have gone straight for a pure astrograph. I love the simplicity (and weight) of it, and I cant remember the last time I used the C9.25 visually.

The only thing is, I would think that with its long focal length, and F ratio the C9.25 would be better for planetary images, and I understand I picked a pretty rubbish year to start taking shots of those fellas, so I'd like to be sure I'd gotten the best out of the tube for that. I am also determined to produce at least a few decent images at f10 with the C9.25, as I am unhappy with the results so far. Next clear night it is my intention to try long and deep again, using a different focussing method.

But how do you guys keep newts etc free of dew? I simply wrapped a dew band around the outside of the housing near the mirror and that seemed to work, but what about the secondary if that goes?

Thanks

TJ

Archived