NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Odd 'Scope

DeepSkyBagger

I've built similar reflectors. On mine at least, two interchangeable secondaries were provided, one for visual and one for photography in the days when only SLR's were available. The two focusers took up the difference between the secondary positions.   :icon_biggrin:

15 hours ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

Take Peter’s reply as the correct answer but I would also like to know why it looks to be housed in a museum?

1 hour ago, Astrobits said:

In one of the pics  there is something on the opposite side of the scope to the second focusser. Could this be a finder arrangement?

Nigel

Ah! I hadn't spotted that. Looks possibly like another diagonal mirror holder. Maybe this is a weird finder setup! Well spotted.

6 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Take Peter’s reply as the correct answer but I would also like to know why it looks to be housed in a museum?

In her listing, the seller shouts the following - HAVING A DOWN SIZE AND SELLING LOTS OF ANTIQUE / RETRO AND COLLECTIBLE ITEMS. 

I assume the 'scope is in her antique / retro and collectible room.

11 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Is it me (quite possibly as I don't normally look through funnels, sorry, reflectors:grin:), but one focuser looks wider than the other? 2" and 1.25" ??:glasses12:

Dave

I doubt that. It's a 1960 scope. I don't know when the standard eyepiece sizes became 'standard', but I suspect it was after that. In any event, the secondary mirror would have to be moveable, and I can't see any indication that it is. Then there's the issue of focal length...

Reflectors are funnels? Yes, they funnel vast amounts of light to an eyepiece.

Refractors are pencils. :happy7: They don't.

35 minutes ago, Astrobits said:

As the seller is "Jessica's Antiques" in Huddersfield perhaps someone who is in the vicinity could have a look at it in the shop. I am too far away unfortunately.

Nigel

Well spotted. I had seen it was in Huddersfield but not many of the other details as I was using my phone when I first looked.

I think the smaller of the "focussers" is  a reflex finder. A bit like an SLR camera. It looks like it has several concentric tubes - like a "pirate" scope. When you pull the tubes outward a second diagonal mirror is extended into the main tube so the finder, (which is a small frac not just an eyepiece), can see the sky. Tasco refractors used to have something similar.

Archived