Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Long USB Cables, What do you use?

13 minutes ago, JSeaman said:

Well, the AV Access box arrived today and the cable turned up as nice shielded cat 6

Connected up to a 12V source, plugged in the USB on the transmitter and ... it does nothing at all when I plug in any devices :(

It flashes the lights to say everything's OK but it doesn't power either QHY off any of the USB ports, I've pinged their tech support an enquiry but it doesn't bode well for fixing my connectivity so far!

Sorry to hear this, but as I said a few days ago, you will end up spending more in the long run, send it back and get the startech System that @Skipper Billy was selling..... :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, JSeaman said:

Connected up to a 12V source, plugged in the USB on the transmitter and ... it does nothing at all when I plug in any devices :(

My devices don't power up either if they're only plugged into the transmitter. You need to complete the connection to your laptop using the Cat6 cable and the receiver as well. Connect the receiver to the laptop with a USB cable, start the laptop and once its booted up the devices should power up.

Eric.

44 minutes ago, ejp1684 said:

My devices don't power up either if they're only plugged into the transmitter. You need to complete the connection to your laptop using the Cat6 cable and the receiver as well. Connect the receiver to the laptop with a USB cable, start the laptop and once its booted up the devices should power up.

Eric.

Very true, I think it was the same with the Startech system if memory serves.... :)

On 16-2-2018 at 18:24, LightBucket said:

Yes so was I, there is no options as being discussed, USB over Ethernet, that currently supports USB 3.0 over Ethernet, the only option is a USB 3.0 repeater cable, which has a limit on the distance you can run them.. :)

There is an option besides cables (which are very limited):  Silex DS-600 has a real USB3 port as well as USB2: http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/ds-600.html

2 hours ago, JSeaman said:

Sadly, although both ends flash, nothing works. Could be faulty I guess but a bit disappointing

Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you. I only mentioned it because mine has worked ok. Hopefully you'll get some response from their support, or you can always return it to Amazon.

Eric.

Just a comment that may be useful.  I don't know how many of you play with making up your own cables, but I wanted to route some external quality ethernet cable around the outside of my house and was suffering from small entry holes.  I bought a cheap cable end make-up make-up kit from ebay and was amazed at the success of putting my own cable ends on once the cable was back inside the house.  I bet you can get similar things for USB cables.  It seems a huge scarey undertaking when I first considered it, but the right tool makes all these job possible and don't seem to cost an arm and an leg - def. far cheaper than buying made up cables.

Oh, and looking at the post above - I got a tester in my kit too :-D

On 15/02/2018 at 22:58, LightBucket said:

If you do go for the startech System it uses a 5v supply, a mains adapter comes with it, but you may use a 12v supply for your mount, so you would need a 12v to 5v Adapter..... just thought I would mention that.. :)

The weak link on my setup is the mini usb hub. It's a bit hit and miss so I've just bagged a Startech system like above on eBay. What kind of adapter do I need to power it off my Tracer 12v power supply? 12v socket to .....? I've had a quick Google but don't know what pin size the Startech unit accepts.

Thanks

If you have wifi signal, I would put a laptop next to the scope and have another one indoors and use teamviewer to join the two together.  I am pretty basic at all this technology stuff, but it works well for me.

Carole 

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

The weak link on my setup is the mini usb hub. It's a bit hit and miss so I've just bagged a Startech system like above on eBay. What kind of adapter do I need to power it off my Tracer 12v power supply? 12v socket to .....? I've had a quick Google but don't know what pin size the Startech unit accepts.

Thanks

12v to 5v 5.5mm with 2.5mm centre, but you will need to double check that as it could be 2.1mm centre, I can check tomorrow if that helps.. :)

A bit of closure on this one - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the box of tricks and I'm up and running!

After a bit of diagnosis I found it was current draw causing the QHY to fail and my rig had been unplugged! So I was trying to power a camera over 30m of Ethernet with the drive of a USB port!! As soon as the receiver got 12V it fired up no problems. I now have both cameras running perfectly and have test powered it up a couple of times over the last two days without a single issue.

There are a few hours of clear sky this evening so I'm having a go at imaging and so far it hasn't missed a beat (and I didn't have to drag any USB cables up the garden or spend hours messing about to make things work!!)

Thanks again for the recommendations, really appreciated

Archived