Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long USB Cables, What do you use?

After another very frustrating hour of connecting USB leads which couldn't find cameras I'm thinking it might be time for a change. 

I have two 15m active USB cables, one for the QHYL5 and one for the QHY8L. Having a read on here I'm swamped by suggestions but I am looking for some real world feedback - do you use active cables / hubs / ethernet converters / something else? Are you guys able to reliably connect USB --> something else --> mount?

Any thoughts welcomed

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only solution I have found that really works is USB > Cat6 > USB using Startech converters. I used it over 40 meters and never any issue whatsoever.

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

I have since gone back to using a PC in the Obsy rather than remotely and mine are now surplus to requirements.

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/items-for-sale

You really do get what to pay for where this is concerned...it will end up costing you more in the long runs as you will end up buying the better ones in the end anyway... :)

The startech System over CAT6 cable is superb, and if you shop around you can get for the £120 Mark..

Edit: just seen @Skipper Billy For £95... I would get that quick

3 minutes ago, JSeaman said:

:) I did wonder if that would be the case, thanks for the feedback - have you tried the cheap ones and been bitten before?

Oh yes, all sorts of USB cables,  repeater cables, cheap powered USB hubs.... then I bought the startech system with a quality 15m CAT6 cable and never had another issue, it just works..it really does :)

I too struggled with long unreliable USB cables, then found a much better solution....

I now have my Atik Horizon camera (on Hyperstar) connected by short USB3 cable to an Intel NUC computer located at the telescope. Also connected to the Intel NUC is a Starlight MKIT20 Autofocusser and the regular telescope HC using a serial to USB adapter.  

I have then created an 802.11ac (5Ghz) wireless LAN using a Wireless Range Extender and upgraded my laptop to the same (fast) standard using a USB plug in Dual Band Adapter. On the Intel NUC I have installed all necessary software to run camera, Autofocusser, telescope, GoTo  etc. 

The Intel NUC then has Windows 10 Pro and Remote Desktop. Note this local LAN  'peer to peer 'solution is much superior to (say) TeamViewer over the Internet (too laggy). I can then control everything from my laptop situated in my cosy warm office totally free of any cables between it and the Intel NUC at the telescope.

This solution works brilliantly, albeit fairly expensive (but what isn' t in astronomy?), but a word of caution. Don't skimp on computing power, hard drive or power supply if you have or intend upgrading to a large sensor megapixel camera (like Atik Horizon or ZWO AS1600MC). I use an i5 NUC with 4GB DDR4 memory and 2TB hard drive and I reckon i3/4GB is the minimum desirable specification. The Atik Horizon camera data files are massive given its 4644 x 3506 pixel resolution. With lesser cameras a cheaper Atom 'Compute Stick' might suffice, but do your calculations carefully. 

Thanks, I don't think a NUC will be my path but understand where you're coming from.

I have 24GB RAM, 6 core 4.3GHz and 8TB of HDD so I don't lack the computing power but it's connectivity that has been troubling me. I think the Ethernet route has to be entertained

I can understand a desire to avoid purchasing (say) an expensive Intel NUC. But if you have an old redundant laptop lying around do give the wireless remote control route a try using that. The laptop I initially used as a 'server' at the telescope during initial trials of this concept had a broken screen and I recovered it from a pile of junk destined for landfill.

Given that a decent cable can cost £60, if you have a redundant old laptop, I suggest you at least try this using 'free' TeamViewer. The feeling of liberation from the tedium of setting up long cables across muddy terrain is amazing.

I use these from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EV33R8S/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

I use all four ports with one Ethernet (RJ45) cable back into the house. Cable can be up to 50m. I've noticed some devices (or software) are a bit picky about which port they like. For example, with a camera connected to SharpCap it seems to prefer to be connected to no.1 port. Once I figured that out the whole system works very well.

Eric.

29 minutes ago, ejp1684 said:

I use these from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EV33R8S/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

I use all four ports with one Ethernet (RJ45) cable back into the house. Cable can be up to 50m. I've noticed some devices (or software) are a bit picky about which port they like. For example, with a camera connected to SharpCap it seems to prefer to be connected to no.1 port. Once I figured that out the whole system works very well.

Eric.

Hmm, looks very interesting and a good price also 12v powered too.... :)

I've also had some difficulty in the past with long USB cables, but I now use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A30FOD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connect my Nexstar Evolution mount, Canon 6D, QHY5Lii and a DIY arduino focus controller to the 4 inputs on this and I haven't had any communication errors to my laptop indoors.  I know it's only 10m long, but the details say you can daisychain up to 3 of them together (or extend by using another 1 port active repeater instead).  It's obviously not as sophisticated as using USB/Ethernet adapters, but it's a lot cheaper.

Graeme

I've killed a few laptops over the year, they don't tend to like being out for 8 hours in -10 degree temperatures repeatedly!

Eric - thanks for that, very interesting! Half the price of a second hand startech and 12V, might well go for that! Have you used a QHY at all with them?

Graeme, I used a few of the 10m boosters and they worked well but as soon as I go to 15M and beyond it seems to be more difficult. Ideally I would like 30M so Ethernet looks like the route so far

Thanks for all the contributions

1 hour ago, Grierson said:

HeHe. I am of course talking about the interface!!

Yes so was I, there is no options as being discussed, USB over Ethernet, that currently supports USB 3.0 over Ethernet, the only option is a USB 3.0 repeater cable, which has a limit on the distance you can run them.. :)

I have a 4 port powered active cable like Graeme's which succesfully replaced a series of cheap 10M active cables that didn't  work.

These have an advantage over an active cable and 4 port hub.

If  you take an active cable apart  you find the same chip as a 4 port hub, with only one output used, so makes no sense to have a 4 port chip immediately followed by a 4 port chip. Probably messes with the timing and pulse reshaping

An inactive cable followed by a hub is okay.

Well, the AV Access box arrived today and the cable turned up as nice shielded cat 6

Connected up to a 12V source, plugged in the USB on the transmitter and ... it does nothing at all when I plug in any devices :(

It flashes the lights to say everything's OK but it doesn't power either QHY off any of the USB ports, I've pinged their tech support an enquiry but it doesn't bode well for fixing my connectivity so far!

Archived