Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Returning After A Sabbatical - Where Is Everyone?

EntropyStar

Hi, 

I've returned back to Stargazing after a break of a few years, my first stop was naturally coming back to my favourite haunt (SGL). Over the past couple of months I've noticed this place seems much quieter than I remember it (Circa 2011-2013), what's happened? Looking through the discussions I'm surprised to see such gaps between threads, especially in the Observation section. Has the stargazing flock been shrinking over the past few years? Do we need a bit of BBC magic and a new series on Space to tempt in new observers? 

52 minutes ago, EntropyStar said:

Hi, 

I've returned back to Stargazing after a break of a few years, my first stop was naturally coming back to my favourite haunt (SGL). Over the past couple of months I've noticed this place seems much quieter than I remember it (Circa 2011-2013), what's happened? Looking through the discussions I'm surprised to see such gaps between threads, especially in the Observation section. Has the stargazing flock been shrinking over the past few years? Do we need a bit of BBC magic and a new series on Space to tempt in new observers? 

Maybe because some take sabbaticals ??? :happy7:

The herd of old timers has been culled a bit over the years but there seems to be a steady influx of new people to the hobby.

It's interesting to see them taking the same steps in the early days, and how this forum points them in the right direction - so still going strong :-)

Welcome back!

David

8 hours ago, EntropyStar said:

Looking through the discussions I'm surprised to see such gaps between threads, especially in the Observation section.

That's weird, I was thinking we had been having a decent number of good reports this winter. Weather has been variable but at least we have had some fairly regular clear skies.

I agree, it has been quieter but like the others I feel it has been down to some pretty exceptionally poor weather conditions. The number of times you can post about sessions without felling like one is repeating yourself is also a factor. What I can say is SGL is still a very enjoyable place and has not changed at all in that respect .... ?

I know it doesn't represent the whole of SGL, but the Video Astronomy forum is extremely quiet these days, seemed to be very active early last year and before, but not much happening now. I think some folk who were posting in both SGL and CN are now just posting in CN (which is a shame as the CN equivalent forum does not make it easy to discuss VA/EAA sessions or upload full res images) and other members have just disappeared! I am hoping to rectify this later on as I had a marathon session last night and have a decent haul to share.....might need to sleep first! :) 

Archived