Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher ED72

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I tend to trust Skywatcher these days, some of there recent stuff have been game changers.... I am still wanting an AZ GTi mount :icon_biggrin: but they keep selling out.

Alan

The AZ5 is nice too. Chews up the dovetail on my Lunt, but definitely a decent piece of kit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Highburymark are you still using your equinox as a travel scope? I have been quite jealous of the setup from the pictures you have posted on here, and now I'm thinking this would be quite a nice scope for the money.. how do you think it would compare to your equinox both on widefield views and higher mags on planets??

Just found this on the Primaluce website.. FPL-53 glass...???!! Do you think at that price.....

SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 apochromatic refractor

Product code: SK-EVOSTAR72ED

Be the first to review this product

SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 is an apochromatic refractor with 72mm diameter and 420mm focal length (f/5,8), doublet ED apochromatic lens with Schott FPL-53 glass. SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 in an ultra portable telescope that will be able to give you great wide field images, great for astrophotography, but very good also for terrestrial observations thanks to perfect contrast and color correction. It comes with micrometric focuser for the best focusing precision.

https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/apo-refractors/skywatcher-evostar-ed72-apochromatic-refractor.html

And this too on the tech specs.... Doppietto..... ever heard of that...if this is correct then this scope has to be had... :)

Optical Design Apochromat
Optics Doppietto FPL53
Diameter (mm) 72mm
Focal Length (mm) 420mm
Focal Ratio f/5.8
Field flattener/corrector Not included (optional)
Optical Tube Aluminium
Secondary Mirror Obstruction No
Focuser 50,8mm Crayford, micrometrico
Eyepiece holder 50,8mm with 31,8mm reducer
Weight 1,9 Kg
Hard/soft case Hard case

11 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Just found this on the Primaluce website.. FPL-53 glass...???!! Do you think at that price.....

SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 apochromatic refractor

Product code: SK-EVOSTAR72ED

Be the first to review this product

SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 is an apochromatic refractor with 72mm diameter and 420mm focal length (f/5,8), doublet ED apochromatic lens with Schott FPL-53 glass. SkyWatcher Evostar ED72 in an ultra portable telescope that will be able to give you great wide field images, great for astrophotography, but very good also for terrestrial observations thanks to perfect contrast and color correction. It comes with micrometric focuser for the best focusing precision.

https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/apo-refractors/skywatcher-evostar-ed72-apochromatic-refractor.html

Personally I'd be inclined to believe what @FLO posted earlier directly from SW, which was a statement from them noting that they are not releasing any information on the specification of the glass.  The information from PLL could just be speculation based on what they think it is, rather than what it actually is.

I agree, it is probably speculation. I don’t think we can assume the glass used is FPL53. Sky-Watcher have stressed their new Evostar 72ED has a different glass combination to the Evostar 80/100/120 ED models. 

HTH, 

Steve

21 minutes ago, moise212 said:

@FLO, if you want to take some pictures or do some tests, you can open my package if that doesn't mean too much delivery delay :)

Thank-you, that is a kind offer but we are going to retain one for photography and for our own use. I think I might do some imaging with the new M72 and an Evoguide 50ED. It will be fun :smile: 

Steve 

I remember TEC saying they were changing from FPL53 to Fluorite for their 140 as Ohara were discontinuing it, and the FPL55 alternative wasn't up to their spec, so maybe Skywatcher have had their hand forced.

FWIW I like that Sky-Watcher are no longer revealing glass specifications for their ED elements. People focus on the ED glass type, usually FPL51 or FPL53 or an equivalent, but the matching Crown element and the cell that holds the lenses in alignment are equally as important. Cell design and manufacturing ability largely determines a telescope's performance and all too often an ED glass type is specified to distract from a poorly manufactured telescope. I remember some time ago a triplet refractor (no doubt carefully selected) was reviewed favourably in one of the astro magazines then promoted heavily on forums (not by us!). We knew it was a dog. Even the manufacturer admitted "we struggled with that one" but it had FPL51 glass and was well reviewed. It was sexy! FLO didn't stock it. Over the years I have spoken with multiple owners who struggled with it's lens pinching in cold weather, some used a dew heater tape behind the cell to prevent it contracting. I think most owners have sold theirs and few people mention it these days. It is still available for sale but I daresay it's design has been significantly modified. 

Better I think to judge a telescope on it's real-world performance. Not glass type. 

Steve 

32 minutes ago, FLO said:

FWIW I like that Sky-Watcher are no longer revealing glass specifications for their ED elements. People focus on the ED glass type, usually FPL51 or FPL53 or an equivalent, but the matching Crown element and the cell that holds the lenses in alignment are equally as important. Cell design and manufacturing ability largely determines a telescope's performance and all too often an ED glass type is specified to distract from a poorly manufactured telescope. I remember some time ago a triplet refractor (no doubt carefully selected) was reviewed favourably in one of the astro magazines then promoted heavily on forums (not by us!). We knew it was a dog. Even the manufacturer admitted "we struggled with that one" but it had FPL51 glass and was well reviewed. It was sexy! FLO didn't stock it. Over the years I have spoken with multiple owners who struggled with it's lens pinching in cold weather, some used a dew heater tape behind the cell to prevent it contracting. I think most owners have sold theirs and few people mention it these days. It is still available for sale but I daresay it's design has been significantly modified. 

Better I think to judge a telescope on it's real-world performance. Not glass type. 

Steve 

I agree with what you say Steve. At risk of sounding like a stuck record, that's why I think it a good idea for Skywatcher to publish some other form of optical spec, spot diagrams, whatever, just to give some assurance. Regardless of the logic, many people including me are reassured to a degree by the use of FPL-53 glass so I think the policy of not stating the spec could cost sales, probably unnecessarily.

53 minutes ago, FLO said:

Steve 

Yes i tend to agree for the most part,  as many people (me included) look at scopes and see that it has FPL51 or 53 glass and automatically assume it’s a good scope, and in most cases correctly, but it’s not the be all and end all, BUT as for sales from the manufactures point of view I think it will hinder sales, at least inittially, until there are many reviews out there for people to find from users..and then make there mind up. I am in the market for a small grab and go scope like this, and to use as a guider when at home, but I will wait for some user feedback.

So Skywatcher are taking a bit of a risk not publishing the data, But if they are 100% behind the quality of there product, which I am sure they are, then they probably know that in time it will be a winner.. and I am sure it will be.. :)

On 13/02/2018 at 22:03, Victor Boesen said:

@Highburymark are you still using your equinox as a travel scope? I have been quite jealous of the setup from the pictures you have posted on here, and now I'm thinking this would be quite a nice scope for the money.. how do you think it would compare to your equinox both on widefield views and higher mags on planets??

Yes I am Victor. Though last year I took my 100mm frac the only time I travelled abroad. The Equinox is a great travel scope because (obviously) of the decent optics, but also the sliding dew shield, (which the Evostars don't have). It's very easy to take as cabin baggage in the provided case, and happily sits on a basic camera tripod and mount. If I was in the market for a small Skywatcher ED around £300 I'd be tempted to go for a secondhand Equinox 80 over the new 72. Under good skies I've had some wonderful views with the Equinox - and not just widefield/dsos - also planets at 170x and moon above 200x

On 13/02/2018 at 17:36, RayD said:

Looks very nice indeed, and a superb price.   

With Schott glass also I reckon this has all the trappings of a great performer for a travel set-up.

Star adventurer anyone?

I think that will be perfect for my star adventurer £268 at Rother valley optics

23 hours ago, gtis said:

Only 30 mins from home?

@gtis If you intend picking one up at their showroom I strongly recommended you email them now to check stock.

If they have one ask them to reserve it for you because if they sell out the next shipment won't arrive until sometime in April. 

HTH, Steve 

Archived