NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reality has kicked in

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

You need something to decompress the file to then be able to install it. I opened that nef file fine in 3.3.4 and registered it an it appeared fine.

so what does that mean this is starting to really irritate me

I had similar issues and frustrations (although I'm using a Canon EOS1300D).

When I downloaded DSS 3.3.4 it's a RAR archive rather than a zip file, so I needed to download WinRAR from here: https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

Once WinRAR is installed, you should be able to right click on the DSS archive and extract the files from the archive. Then you should have  executable files for DSS, DSSLive and DSS CL along with some help files.

There's no installation required, you can simply double click the DSS executable (although I did copy it to a folder in Program Files and created a shortcut for ease.

I made a couple of further changes before I got colour images from DSS- make sure your camera is set to daylight white balance (mine defaulted to Auto) and also set an automatic brightness compensation off in the camera. I went from getting raw files that only showed stars with very little colour no matter how much I tweaked the saturation to having plenty of colour in 30-60 second subs.

Good luck

Just cause it says rar does not mean you need Winrar. Personally I'd steer well clear of Winrar.  it's trialware and can't be trusted.  7zip can decompress almost all archives including Rar.  It's also open source, so no annoying adds or malware.  Once you've installed 7zip you simply right click on the file(copied to a sensible location)  and select extract.. 

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

hi i have downloaded 7zip but when i click the link windows 10 automatically uses unpacker extracts the file and then nothing... the worst part is i had 3.3.4 which worked but after having this no colour issue i uninstalled it to start again!! last night i came so close to putting my fist straight through the screen..feel im going backwards with this hobby and wont be spending another penny on anything until i sort this out!

im not expecting hubble images but what i have is just crap. 

2 hours ago, Wirral man said:

hi i have downloaded 7zip but when i click the link windows 10 automatically uses unpacker extracts the file and then nothing... the worst part is i had 3.3.4 which worked but after having this no colour issue i uninstalled it to start again!! last night i came so close to putting my fist straight through the screen..feel im going backwards with this hobby and wont be spending another penny on anything until i sort this out!

im not expecting hubble images but what i have is just crap. 

Instead of double-clicking on the file which is downloaded, try right clicking on the file (in the Windows Explorer program or on your desktop etc.), and in the context-menu (pop-up menu when you right click on a file) choose "7-Zip > Extract Here".  This will ensure 7-Zip is used for extraction rather than the Windows unzipping utility.

32 minutes ago, feilimb said:

Instead of double-clicking on the file which is downloaded, try right clicking on the file (in the Windows Explorer program or on your desktop etc.), and in the context-menu (pop-up menu when you right click on a file) choose "7-Zip > Extract Here".  This will ensure 7-Zip is used for extraction rather than the Windows unzipping utility.

yes will give it a go later

Have you selected the correct camera settings in DSS? It won't debayer properly if it's using the wrong Bayer matrix.

the d5300 is not listed?

I suspect this is where your problems lies.  I don't think DSS is debayering the image and you say your camera is not listed.   I think somehow you need to find out which setting to put your camera on, maybe posting on the DSS Forum, or putting out a thread asking for d5300 users to say what they use.  There is a Nikon D500 listed, might be worth trying that.  

Also I notice there are holes in your stars, check the cosmetic tab in DSS if its ticked untick it, it thinks stars are hot pixels and east holes in them.

HTH

Carole 

17 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

If your still struggling with downloading 7zip, try using Firefox to download it as it should save it to your downloads folder without trying to unzip it.

no i have 7zip and use firefox as standard will get on it tonight and start again fresh 

22 minutes ago, carastro said:

I suspect this is where your problems lies.  I don't think DSS is debayering the image and you say your camera is not listed.   I think somehow you need to find out which setting to put your camera on, maybe posting on the DSS Forum, or putting out a thread asking for d5300 users to say what they use.  There is a Nikon D500 listed, might be worth trying that.  

Also I notice there are holes in your stars, check the cosmetic tab in DSS if its ticked untick it, it thinks stars are hot pixels and east holes in them.

HTH

Carole 

ok thanks will try it once im up and running could do with finding someone with a complete set of settings which i can match and resolve this headache

35 minutes ago, Wirral man said:

ok thanks will try it once im up and running could do with finding someone with a complete set of settings which i can match and resolve this headache

The default settings are usually not that far out.  There are a few good YouTube videos also which run through them if they do need changing, but it won't hurt to experiment providing you remember what you've changed so can put it back.

You may find that once set back to default things are better, but make sure that you take on board @steppenwolf's comment relating to the bayer matrix as this will be important to note.

Hope you get it sorted.

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I tried the single NEF file, which I had to convert to Tiff in Maxim so that Photoshop could read it.

The PS said the file was in Greyscale.  

Carole 

really!!! so what does that mean then? i use the camera in the day and shoots colour fine and i always keep it in raw at 14bit, wow this is just getting worse.... will double check my camera tonight....just a thought i have noticed on the memory card with contains all the original shots next to each nef file there is now a log file ? would dss rewrite the card or image?? 

8 hours ago, artoleus said:

Just cause it says rar does not mean you need Winrar. Personally I'd steer well clear of Winrar.  it's trialware and can't be trusted.  7zip can decompress almost all archives including Rar.  It's also open source, so no annoying adds or malware.  Once you've installed 7zip you simply right click on the file(copied to a sensible location)  and select extract.. 

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Utter tosh. WinRar has been kicking about for decades and can most definitely be trusted.

49 minutes ago, Wirral man said:

really!!! so what does that mean then? i use the camera in the day and shoots colour fine and i always keep it in raw at 14bit, wow this is just getting worse.... will double check my camera tonight....just a thought i have noticed on the memory card with contains all the original shots next to each nef file there is now a log file ? would dss rewrite the card or image?? 

You should copy the files off the memory card into your pc first. Then use DSS and open the files from your pc you want to use. DSS does not rewrite the image on the card.

I tried the single NEF file, which I had to convert to Tiff in Maxim so that Photoshop could read it.

The PS said the file was in Greyscale.  

Carole 

I don't know whether importing the file to Maxim and re-saving it might have done this, to be honest I have never used Maxim for colour, so it could be something to do with that.  Was hoping a Maxim person might know.

Carole 

20 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The file opened fine in PaintShopPro and there is colour 16bit. You have some chromatic aberration so you could try stopping the lens down a bit.

so there is colour that is a base to work from so not the camera so next step is to find correct dss settings once i reinstall it and go from there.

Archived