Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Challenge #10 - Smartphones & Tablets - NOW CLOSED

The theme for the tenth challenge - January 2018 - is Smartphones & Tablets!

Start Date: 1st January 2018
End Date: 31st March 2018

Rules: We want to see images, videos or animations taken with smartphones or tablets. Be as creative as you like but the images must be captured using a smartphone or tablet. Bonus consideration given to those completely processed on a smartphone or tablet as well...

Prize: £100 of FLO gift vouchers to buy some goodies with! Kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #10’ forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Excellent one.

I assume that you mean must be taken using the lens device on the phone or tablet, and not the device connected to something else making the captures.

Feel free to hold your phone or tablet up to an eyepiece or hook it up to a telescope - it's all about the camera in this case, if you choose to attach it to something go for it :)

11 hours ago, Jannis said:

Would my Surface Pro 3 be considered a PC or a tablet...? :)

As long as you are using the onboard camera, then I think this would be fine :)

I won't be holding my imac up to an eyepiece and using the facetime camera but if I did, I think that would just about be OK too :D

• Like 3

I have previously taken some interesting photos of the sky using my mobile phone, I assume from the description of the competition that it isn't 100% necessary to include the use of a telescope, but assume that the intent is for the subject to have an astronomy basis?

Must be taken within the dates specified, but there is no mention of scopes having to be used so anything goes on that score, astro widefields, through binoculars, scopes etc etc.

Think i will struggle on this one, my Chinese phone has a err, rather poor camera and dont see me holding a big tablet to the eyepiece :happy11:

but never say never, and i could try to prise Claire`s Samsung of her one night 

3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Think i will struggle on this one, my Chinese phone has a err, rather poor camera and dont see me holding a big tablet to the eyepiece :happy11:

I have Galaxy S8 so should be able to get a great image, but I have no idea how to use it so look forward to seeing what wins.

45 minutes ago, RayD said:

I have Galaxy S8 so should be able to get a great image, but I have no idea how to use it so look forward to seeing what wins.

Ray, I'm sure a man of your talents can give this a go. I think the camera on the S8 is very good isn't it? Have a go on the moon at least, just hold it up to the eyepiece and give it a go. Trickiest thing is getting the camera positioned on the exit pupil correctly, involves holding it away from the eyepiece a little normally, ie where you stick your eyeball! ;) 

Have a look through my StuPOD thread for examples and some advice.

I hope we get some M42 attempts, plus Jupiter of course.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ray, I'm sure a man of your talents can give this a go. I think the camera on the S8 is very good isn't it? Have a go on the moon at least, just hold it up to the eyepiece and give it a go. Trickiest thing is getting the camera positioned on the exit pupil correctly, involves holding it away from the eyepiece a little normally, ie where you stick your eyeball! ;) 

Have a look through my StuPOD thread for examples and some advice.

I hope we get some M42 attempts, plus Jupiter of course.

I might have a go Stu.  It is a sensational camera, but all I know how to do is point and click.  My Godson is a real whizz at all things telephone etc. so I may try to get an impromptu crash course.

I'll have a look through that thread, thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayD said:

I might have a go Stu.  It is a sensational camera, but all I know how to do is point and click.  My Godson is a real whizz at all things telephone etc. so I may try to get an impromptu crash course.

I'll have a look through that thread, thanks for sharing it.

Not sure what the standard S8 camera app is like, but on iOS you can get apps such as Procam 4 and Nightcap which give better control of exposure and focus and make things easier to control.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Not sure what the standard S8 camera app is like, but on iOS you can get apps such as Procam 4 and Nightcap which give better control of exposure and focus and make things easier to control.

Thanks Stu.  I looked through your thread and some great stuff there, very inspirational.  On the back of that I called my Godson and he pointed me towards 'pro' settings on the S8 which basically make it operate like a DSLR, so I am going to try them out, get some practice with the various settings and see if I can get something worthy of an entry :thumbright:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RayD said:

Thanks Stu.  I looked through your thread and some great stuff there, very inspirational.  On the back of that I called my Godson and he pointed me towards 'pro' settings on the S8 which basically make it operate like a DSLR, so I am going to try them out, get some practice with the various settings and see if I can get something worthy of an entry :thumbright:

Excellent :), I look forward to seeing the results :) 

4 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Same here, but my old Nokia phone has a smashing camera so if I put a memory card in it, I can use it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you identify something to use :-)

I'm hopeful of this but I'm going to have to install a custom rom on my note 4 on order to get the updated camera driver that supports actually controlling more of the camera's ability... There might be more chance of putting a newer custom rom on this nexus 7 with only a forward camera, I do like a challenge we will see if I can find the time.

Edited by happy-kat

16 hours ago, JOC said:

Well I think I've got some shot's - could someone recommend some software that I can use on the phone to stack them please - I think they are 'stackable' - how exciting!

I've yet to find a stacking app for phones, wish someone would write one!

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...