Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Naked eye obs

jetstream

The cold front has brought extreme transparency along with it at times and the other night was one of them. The lawn chair came out and I was dazzled by the sky full of diamond bright stars, the MW and so many naked eye DSO. The Beehive was spectacular as were the others, what an evening!

Right now its -31c (dropped again) and with the wind -40c. This is Christmas Eves warning map from Environment Canada. All the red (Northern Ont & West) is -30c (no wind) or more and minimum -40c wind chill, some places -50c.

I thought the map and info might be interesting to some and it explains my observing conditions- that transparency is key.

canada_e.png

Very cold indeed, weather says -19 Celcius with the wind around Montreal during the night. Next week we should have the -30 Celcius in Quebec... Not ideal to sketch at the eyepiece but I think I'll get out for short session... Let's call it:

The Jetstream sessions!

Enjoy... at that temperature there’s no moisture left to cause any problems! Was taunted by half an hour of sparkly MW at a starparty recently (by my poor standards anyway), sometimes you just need to look up without a scope to appreciate. Guess you’ll be celebrating the time of year with a glass of antifreeze!

all the best

PeterW

Snowboarding at lake Louise in -35 wasn't bad but there was no wind Killington in Vermont gets these -50 temps and lower!... Bizarre!...and yet I visited the ice wine region just near the shores of Lake Ontario in '04!..very strange!

Archived