NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The ED 66 Project

Stub Mandrel

• 2 months later...

Confession - sometimes when faced with a tricky new process, I start procrastinating unless something gives me a kick to get started.

So it is with anodising!

Well, I now have everything together and yesterday I cast two big lead anodes, basically long strips about 1/8" thick and 2" wide.

Only thing left is a power supply - my battery charger died leaving me with a smart one from Lidl's that isn't going to be suitable as a power source. I have at least two, if not three, transformers out of failed cheap chargers(!) but I couldn't find them over the weekend and now I have to do some work ?

Anyway, I've got a skip coming tomorrow for some decluttering (after 55 years accumulating junk, I might as well get rid of some!) Hopefully at least one transformer will turn up. Then I will do a test piece or two and start on the scope.

Yesterday I did some tidying up of the focus knobs and used fine wet and dry to give a fine-grained finish to some parts. Just a few simple bits left to do, like vents in the back of one focus knob (mine's going to have temperature AND humidity - eat that WO!)

I've also ordered some teflon rod as I'm not happy with the nylon pad in the crayford - the bit of teflon I used in the 3D printed scope has a much easier action.

• Like 1

I tried anodising the three knobs together, assuming it would give me a more even finish. In fact one came out under-anodised, so I had to strip it and re-anodise to match the others, which wasn't hard as the die uptake takes 20-30 minutes to reach the deeper colour I want.

The high humidity is because the knob hadn't fully dried inside after being boiled!

The problem now is I feel like I've set the bar high, can I match this for the rest of the scope?

Knobs.thumb.jpg.ca7ebfa3238397b5972365a031505b00.jpg

• Like 7

It's nice, the lens cell has a felt wiper around the outside so I bored the dewshield to fit over it. On end has a very broad lip with a recess for a ring of felt to slide along the main tube. The gold ring is just bling, but I have to work out a way of holding it in place.

I have to go to the Range tomorrow, to find a tub long enough to fit the OTA but narrow enough I can submerge it in the die/caustic soda!

The annoying bit is I need to make one more part - the eyepiece retaining ring. The one I made is a bit short (about 4.5mm!) I could use a Skywatcher one but they are hard black anodised (and very shiny) My colour scheme demands a gold one!

I could strip a skywatcher one and anodise it gold, but that would be cheating!

On 28/08/2018 at 11:37, Stub Mandrel said:

So it is with anodising!

Well, I now have everything together and yesterday I cast two big lead anodes, basically long strips about 1/8" thick and 2" wide.

Your anodising obviously worked but i had in my head that the anode would of had to be either aluminium or titainium?

Superb machining skills and a project that many wouldn't attempt..keep us updated..

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Your anodising obviously worked but i had in my head that the anode would of had to be either aluminium or titainium?

Superb machining skills and a project that many wouldn't attempt..keep us updated..

Oops.... lead cathodes!

Titanium 'wire' actually rod for connecting to the parts.

• Like 1