Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GSO Dobsonian 200/1200 f/6 for $150?

sorry for my bad english first xD
Hello , snice i have no idea what to look for and i kinda want something for beginner i saw that used scope for around $150 at first looked really what im looking for ,but also i thought there may be something wrong and i just wanted to ask is this price okay for the scope and if not what can go wrong.
The telescope is bought 2002 and it comes with Plossl 25mm ,moon filter , some bonus filter (idk xD) and  MEADE Plossl 5 Element 20mm 
I saw the original scope in the box have 30mm 2" but snice the price is that low i dont really expected the 30mm
Anyway the only thing that comes to my mind (im not telecope expert) is that maybe the cooling fan is missing and because of the DIY things on side of the scope.Please help xD if there's something more i should look for or if its bad scope at all ill just leave it
----
thank you in advice

H0z91Ab.jpg

pkLYjwd.jpg

I think what you have there is waht was sold elsewhere as a Bushnell 200mm dobsonian.

I don't know much about them but they are not quite as good as the Skywatcher or GSO dobsoninans from what I have read.

The downsides to the scope are the 3 vane secondary supports (4 thin vanes are better), the 1.25" focuser - most 200mm dobs have a 2" / 1.25" focuser and the 30mm finder, which is on backwards in the photo you have posted which makes me wonder what the seller knows about the scope ?

The mount has been modified for some reason as well ?

If you can get it for a really low price it might be worth, say, $100 maybe ?

Otherwise, I would hold out for either a GSO dobsonian or a Skywatcher.

In addition to what John has covered, I can see the entry level rack & pinion drive for the focuser! The likes of Skywatcher have the better Crawford type mechanism, much more precise.
If you can knock down the price somewhat, and the mirrors are sound, then its possible to have an 8" for easy money. You would need to learn and understand collimation in order to assess the mirror's and their alignment.
Otherwise, reason with Johns advice, wait for something a little better.

Archived