Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LX10 - a good 'scope to buy?

Hi all, I am thinking of getting the Meade LX-10 8-inch Cassegrain.
I know these have been discontinued but would appreciate comments as to whether it is a good scope to go for with my main interest being DSO's such as Andromeda. I plan to attach a CCD camera and do stacked imaging.

Are there any particular points I should be aware of and what accessories should I consider?

Thank you for your assistance.

Probably not the best type of scope for DSO imaging. The long focal length is not ideal. I would suggest that you might be better off with a short focal length refractor such as the Skywatcher ED80. If you use the "Resources" button at the top and look at FOV calculator - you can put your scope and camera in (imaging mode) and you will see what the FOV is with andromeda say.

Peter

DSOs is bit of a catch all description, from you're Andromeda Galaxy one of the larger ones to things like the Eskimo Nebula one of the smaller ones, so one scope / camera combo is not capable of capturing everything perfectly.

An SCT is good for Solar system objects and other small stuff, a focal reducer can help get a brighter image and you can bin exposures which will also help but starting out in astro' imaging is better done with a short focal length refractor.

Dave

I've had one as well. I wouldn't consider it for DS imaging. Even on a wedge it will be nigh on impossible to make it track well enough to support the resultion you'll be getting at this focal length. Instead I'd go for a small refractor or imaging Newt on an HEQ5 or better.

The SCT is a nice compact visual scope, a fine planetary imager but a tall order for DS imaging. If you keep an eye on the DS imaging board here you'll see what people are using for this task.

Olly

I used to guide and image with a LX6 at F6.3, a similar non-GoTo scope.

The RA drive is fine but the add-on Dec drive is really only suitable for visual., unless your PA is spot on.

You'll have to use Plate Solving to find targets after use of the large RA and Dec setting circles.

A challenging setup.

Michael

Archived