Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perfect wine to enjoy while observing ...

knobby

Here's a good, white Lebanese wine I can recomend - Chateau Ksara Blanc de l'Observatoire (The White Observatory)

blanc-observatoire-chateau-ksara.jpg

It was availble in Lidl a few months for £7 a bottle a few months back. But some of the internet prices are a bit steep now...

http://lebanesefinewines.eu/chateau-ksara/blanc-de-lobservatoire/

Edit- for those not in-the-know, Lebanon is probably one of the oldest wine producing regions in the world, with production going back at least 6000 years!

36 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Edit- for those not in-the-know, Lebanon is probably one of the oldest wine producing regions in the world, with production going back at least 6000 years!

It is certainly somewhat unexpected :)  Years back I did a couple of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust exams (it seems I received a "Grade A with Distinction" in the Level 3 course!) and Chateau Musar was one of the vineyards that came up for discussion.  It's hardly the most peaceful country in the world even now, but back then it was pretty much a permanent war zone.  I feel sure there were suggestions from bemused students that the unique terroir might produce wines with subtle hints of cordite and napalm :D  Even the Wikipedia page for the winery has the comment "wine has been produced at the Château every year, with employees sometimes working under high-risk conditions" which surely understates the situation somewhat.

I see Virgin Wines do a 2009 Chateau Musar for a mere £24 a bottle.  Perhaps I can ask for one for Christmas :)

James

Not too far from Guildford there's Upperton Vineyards.  They produce sparking wines called "Nebula" and "Aurora".

Unfortunately they have included phonetic examples of how to pronounce the names on the bottle labels (because they're Latin, dontchaknow) which strikes me as so condescending that I'd not drink the stuff on principle.

James

A word of caution.... the red Majestic offering (first laserJock pic) is very poor indeed. I gave it a go because of the name.....Yuk ??

The Lebanese Musar on the other hand; Splendid concentrated BBQ flavours. Ages well. £25 well spent.

Winter = Lager or Single Malt. 

Summer = Claret or NZ Pinot Noir.

The occasional proper cigar finishes things off nicely. Sometimes I almost forget to use the telescope!

Paul

PS. I've given up drinking at home for November ☹️☹️. Now I really fancy a beer.

Archived