Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount levelling

I've had my new mount a while,EQ6-R, but due to clouds haven't had much chance to use it. If I set up the tripod using a spirit level then attach the mount, the bubble level on the mount appears to be off centre by quite a bit. Do I stick with my first thought that if the tripod is level, the bubble level on the mount is incorrect, or should I rely on it to level the mount. On Friday night I attempted to capture M31 with my DSLR using APT and guiding with PHD2, I could do 2 min subs and all appeared ok but 3 min exposures there was star trailing.

If it's any consolation, my EQ6 bubble does not correspond with my tripod either.  I don't think that is critical just as long as it is close.  If you can guide for 2 minutes, and not at 3 minutes, I don't think this is anything to do with the tripod not being exactly level.

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

If it's any consolation, my EQ6 bubble does not correspond with my tripod either.  I don't think that is critical just as long as it is close.  If you can guide for 2 minutes, and not at 3 minutes, I don't think this is anything to do with the tripod not being exactly level.

Ok thanks, just need to get a bit more time playing to get used to it I suppose.

From what I have seen getting your mount level is good for when you need accurate Goto Alignment. but once you have your image in the frame. your guiding should compensate for any miss-leveling of the mount/ Tripod. Within reason of course 

22 hours ago, DaveS said:

The only reason to level an EQ mount is to minimise interactions between RA and Dec when drift aligning, else it doesn't matter.

Not quite, but I understand.

One of my locations is on a slope, if I didn't do at least some leveling, the whole rig would be in danger of falling down hill. :(

Levelling is not a must, but it does make aligning easier, since there is a fixed angle between level and your position on earth:  latitude.
So if you level the same way every time you set up, you won't have to use your latitude adjusters alot, only azimuth.

Archived