NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 600D Dummy Battery & Mains Power

Spaced Out

Hi all

Apologies in advance, I am rubbish with understanding electronics and I’m just looking for a quick fix here.

I am looking for a dummy battery to run my canon 600D from the mains.

I already have one of these which runs my mount (and in the future possibly a dew strap).

Power Supply

Now I was thinking of getting one of these to plug into it for running the camera.

600D Dummy Battery

Is it that simple ?...... or would there be some issues with this electricity stuff like too many volts, don’t want to risk frying my camera !

The other option I’ve looked at is this, not sure if it is any more suitable tho ?

2nd 600D Dummy Battery

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

39 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Apologies in advance, I am rubbish with understanding electronics and I’m just looking for a quick fix here.

I already have one of these which runs my mount (and in the future possibly a dew strap).

Power Supply

Now I was thinking of getting one of these to plug into it for running the camera.

600D Dummy Battery

Is it that simple ?...... or would there be some issues with this electricity stuff like too many volts, don’t want to risk frying my camera !

The other option I’ve looked at is this, not sure if it is any more suitable tho ?

2nd 600D Dummy Battery

Yes you cant just plug straight in as you will fry the camera, you need a step down converter from 12v down to 8v which will be fine for the camera, the camera battery is 7.4v i think but 8v is fine, you could build your own with a 12v to 8v voltage regulator and two capacitors, or buy one ready done from ebay, you can also get adjustable ones... :)

wiring diagram here you just need the correct regulator from 12v to 8v i think it is an LM7808

3DAC908D-5A57-4FAF-AAA7-FEC6AF155324.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Power Supply

600D Dummy Battery

2nd 600D Dummy Battery

Hi

Not so sure about the option 2 but option one will work. I made my own by dismantling a very cheap battery and wiring in a good quality 12v to 7.5v dc-dc adaptor like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-3000mA-Regulated-Multivoltage-Adaptor/dp/B006WXVVX4

Works a treat!

If you have a usb hub at mount  you can get just a usb version i have it https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/ACK-E5-Dummy-Battery-LP-E5-DC-Coupler-External-Power-Supply-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-450D/32752274454.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.2.176ad39aXavBQc though i got mine off ebay though that seller has no stock at the moment 

7 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

If you have a usb hub at mount  you can get just a usb version i have it https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/ACK-E5-Dummy-Battery-LP-E5-DC-Coupler-External-Power-Supply-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-450D/32752274454.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.2.176ad39aXavBQc though i got mine off ebay though that seller has no stock at the moment 

How does that work then as the camera requires 7.4v and the hub will only output 5v..??

11 minutes ago, richyrich_one said:

It's not just the voltage, will it also supply enough current?

Output 7.98v

original link i found it on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACK-E5-Dummy-Battery-LP-E5-DC-Coupler-External-Power-Supply-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-450D/32752274454.html?spm=2114.search0305.4.17.5zvGRk#thf

2 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

im no rocket scientist all i know is it works :thumbsup:

I see, used with the proper 2A power bank shown in your link, then yes it would be fine, but it should not be used from a standard USB port as the current would not be enough....but maybe a powered hub can supply more than 500ma per port which is what you get from a computer USB port.. :)

21 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I see, used with the proper 2A power bank shown in your link, then yes it would be fine, but it should not be used from a standard USB port as the current would not be enough....but maybe a powered hub can supply more than 500ma per port which is what you get from a computer USB port.. :)

my power strip has a 5V , 2.1 A usb power socket  built in https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-powerstrip-fuse-protected-power-distribution-board.html?___store=en_us

• 1 year later...
On 30/10/2017 at 17:24, Spaced Out said:

Thanks for all of your replies and advice !

I’m really rubbish with electronics so I think I’ll go for the AC power adaptor that has been recommended here, that seems the most straightforward solution.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi,

I know this is a pretty old thread but I am after one of these myself so just wondered whether you got hold of one, which one and has it worked ok?

I would be grateful for any info.

Steve

You can buy the full mains adaptor on Amazon e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SinFoxeon-ACK-E8-Replacement-Adapter-Supply/dp/B01GRDPF1W/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547335359&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=canon+camera+power+supply&psc=1

I use the dummy battery, but instead of using the mains adaptor that comes with it, I have a buck convertor mounted in a small box, that takes a feed of the 'local' 12v supply, & drops it to 7.4v

On 12/01/2019 at 15:50, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Hi,

I know this is a pretty old thread but I am after one of these myself so just wondered whether you got hold of one, which one and has it worked ok?

I would be grateful for any info.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yep got a cheap one, it works great. This is what I bought.....

600D Dummy Battery

If you chop the cable that goes from the AC/DC unit to the dummy battery and put the correct type of connectors on the ends you can use both the orig ac/dc adapter or a dc-dc buck converter (as suggested) just not at the same time obviously - best of both worlds ?

Archived