Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pluto?

beka

Hi All,

With some difficulty using Stellarium to compare star fields, I believe that Pluto is the spot marked in my image below. It is a single 20'' exposure taken using a Canon 700D DSLR at ISO 800 and my CPC 1100. I stretched, tweaked the curve and used the noise reduction feature in GIMP. I am hoping to take another image today to see if that spot has moved in relation to the other stars. My problem was that I had difficulty comparing the star fields in my image and that from Stellarium (screen shot below). The ocular view and the sensor frame view of Stellarium were useful but I discovered that my difficulty in matching the stars arose because the bright star next to HIP 94372 does not exist in my image. I thought of digging into star catalogues before posting but thought I may get an answer from the forum more quickly. My bet is that it may be an error in the catalogue Stellarium uses. Look forward to hearing all your thoughts.

pluto-28082017.png

stellarium-screen-shot.png

Hi Beka,

Strange indeed! My copy of Stellarium shows the same, but I can't see any 9.10  magnitude at those coordinates (19:12:27.10, - 21:40:33.8) on Simbad. The nearest "9.10" star in that area appears to be TW Sgr, (9.10 at maximum, 13.5 at minimum) and that ain't there !! (http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-coo?Coord=19+12+28.03988+-21+39+30.1720&Radius=30&Radius.unit=arcmin&submit=submit+query). So a mistake in Stellarium I guess.

Looks like a good capture of Pluto!

1 hour ago, melsmore said:

Hi Beka,

Strange indeed! My copy of Stellarium shows the same, but I can't see any 9.10  magnitude at those coordinates (19:12:27.10, - 21:40:33.8) on Simbad. The nearest "9.10" star in that area appears to be TW Sgr, (9.10 at maximum, 13.5 at minimum) and that ain't there !! (http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-coo?Coord=19+12+28.03988+-21+39+30.1720&Radius=30&Radius.unit=arcmin&submit=submit+query). So a mistake in Stellarium I guess.

Looks like a good capture of Pluto!

Hi melsmore, I checked your link - Stellarium seems to use NOMAD catalogue, when I searched this catalogue there is a 9.14 mag star that seems to be in the position shown by Stellarium - (number 33 in the screen shot, I had a problem inserting the link) - also it has a high proper motion so maybe it moved :-). On the image the corresponding star does not seem to have this magnitude so maybe the catalogue is in error ????

Screenshot from 2017-10-29 17-14-06.png

Archived