Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Damian Peach's C14 for sale on ABS

Tommohawk

I'd noticed that.  I reckon I'd need quite a few Christmas bonuses if I were going to buy that.  Wildly sticking a finger in the air I might guess at £5,000-ish?  Off the top of my head I don't really know what all the add-ons are worth.

On the other hand, it's probably seen an awful lot of photons and who knows what they might have done to the optics?  I bet he hasn't even counted them.  Could be billions.  He should really have kept it covered up and complained about the weather like a proper astronomer would.  Some of them might still be in there just waiting to bounce out onto the unsuspecting CMOS sensor.  On that basis I don't think I could take it off his hands for more than <beard-strokey> £2,500 and I'd be cuttin' me own froat.

James

James you're right - all those photons must have mullered the optics by now. He didn't post any images that he'd taken with it, so I reckon it's shot.

£2500???.... you're 'avin a larf. 

3 hours ago, si@nite said:

Maybe the 1m scope he has been using recently! :undecided:

Yes,that would do it. Probably got fed up with the excess baggage costs.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 00:22, michael8554 said:

Imagine the disappointment when you realise his C14 is the same as everyone elses, it's his skill that produces those amazing images.

Michael

Skill can only go so far. Without good optics no one will get a good image, not even DP. He has said the scope was NOT off the shelf. Nothing mysterious just good optics. And good imaging techniques 

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Skill can only go so far. Without good optics no one will get a good image, not even DP. He has said the scope was NOT off the shelf. Nothing mysterious just good optics. And good imaging techniques 

And amazing locations !

I thought the PI kings preferred the standard C14 XLT - the flatter field is a bit wasted on PI and the HD's take longer to cool down.   Though I note this has an after market cooler - probably great for the wider field comet shots.   I would still love it, but just blown the budget on a lathe and pulsar dome ?

1 minute ago, SnakeyJ said:

I thought the PI kings preferred the standard C14 XLT - the flatter field is a bit wasted on PI and the HD's take longer to cool down.   Though I note this has an after market cooler - probably great for the wider field comet shots.   I would still love it, but just blown the budget on a lathe and pulsar dome ?

I thought exactly the same in ref to HD. Must have been a reason. I want to know if he is carrying on with something else. If so wonder what that could be 

I was surprised for exactly the same reason, Jake.  Perhaps he took the view that it wouldn't do any harm if the OTA had aftermarket cooling fitted and perhaps it might help a small amount.

I keep looking at second hand C14s in a wishful kind of way, but I think budgetary constraints will ensure that wish remains one.  Unless of course we can get this planning permission sorted for the barn and offer holiday lets with dark skies.  Then I could write it off as a business expense :D

James

Archived