Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol in Ha - 2017-10-08

PhotoGav

I wasn't expecting any chances to snipe at the Sun today, but fortunately the Met Office gave me duff info. I had a quick session over lunch between the big fluffy clouds. The story of trying to mix full disk and prominence images continues and I tried the ND filter to even up the illumination, which has worked a bit, but there is still so much room for improvement. The bonus of the whole session was a great prominence on the outgoing limb.

Sol-20171008-FullDiskCombo-04.thumb.png.67bf6b9a4480a800bdee29559fed2a8f.png

Sol-20171008-CloseUpCombo-05.thumb.png.a7d870d7baf27e4b00d603773538a5b7.png

Thank you David and Sara.

As for diversification of my imaging targets, Sara, this has been forced upon me - the night time weather has been so totally pants in this country recently that I had to find something to take astro-pics of! (Though daytime weather here is not that much better). This evening I managed three ten minute subs of my current DSO target before cloud ruined everything again... :BangHead:

Great Picture Gav:thumbsup:

I got sunny weather here in the Early noon yesterday. Took my PST with Nikon zoom out for about an hours observation. Seeing was quite good, I could use 9mm setting for 44x. The huge prom was actually slightly larger than the picture, there were two small prome below the small ones (seen in all 19x to 44x), and there were faint proms too below the prom in the left:smiley:

Well done Gav - I too started to play with solar as clear nights are few and far between, so at least it gives me somwthing to point a telescope at!

I've not looked into the weather forecast for next week, as whatever it says, it will inevitably be wrong!

See you there.

15 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers Gav. Mine were taken quite a bit earlier: close to 13:35 GMT+2

Damn I missed a double loop then!! The Sun never ceases to give interest, there may be no spots at the moment, but there is plenty going on. If only the clouds would clear I could have a look again today!

Michael - I just had a look at your shots of the Sun yesterday and can see the prom loop that you are talking about. My images just show a little bit of activity in that region, so it must have been a short but violent eruption that you captured!

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Michael - I just had a look at your shots of the Sun yesterday and can see the prom loop that you are talking about. My images just show a little bit of activity in that region, so it must have been a short but violent eruption that you captured!

Does look like it. I have seen and even captured them before, but only in H-alpha, never in Ca-K.

Archived