SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary nebula and glubular clusters

Victor Boesen

Tonight was the best night out in a long time. The last couple of days the sky has been crystal clear, and today is friday, which meant nothing was on the schedule for tomorrow.

Scope, filters and eyepieces:
Today, I was using my one and only Skywatcher 10" dob, with my collection of explorer scientific 82 degree eyepieces. For the first time in a long time, I also used my CLS filter.

Targets/observing:
Before I headed out, I decided to have a look at skysafari 5 to see what I should have a look at this clear evening.
Tonights list ended up including:
M13
M92
M57
M27

M13 looked fabulous as always, but I can't quite bag the propeller. I was resolving stars nicely, even a couple in the center, when using averted vision. I think M13 looks the best at 136x and sometimes at 255x, however most of the times I think the image is too dark when observing at 255x.

M92 was a surprise. Locating it was surprisingly easy, as I through the finderscope could just see it as a little faint dot. Looking at it through the scope was amazing. It was not as big as M13, but at 136x it looked very nice, and sometimes, it almost looked like the stars formed a smiley:-) Surprisingly I was also able to resolve a good amount of stars in this cluster, but not as many as in M13.

Now I know this wasn't on the list but I thought I had to give it a go when I saw it on skysafari. NGC6229! Also located in Hercules, and via starhopping also easy to find. This was the smallest one of them all, but the most rewarding since this was my first object from the New General Catalogue (NGC). I was also using 136x at this target, because this is the most comfortable magnification in my opinion. I was only resolving one or two stars in this target, but it was easily visable, just as a bright smudge.

M57 is by far my favorite object (out of the few objects I have seen). The contrast and shape of it gives me the WOW feeling everytime I observe it. Now this target I was observing comfortably at 255x and it looked amazing! Now this was where it popped in the CLS filter which almost made it look like the red outer-part of the nebula was visable, but this faded soon after. While observing this target for about 20min I was thinking if a UHC or a OIII would give me better or the same views?

M27 was kind of disappointing, but I just think I have overestimated how it would look like, but it was still a very nice view it gave me at 136x and 85x. The dumbbell shape became more visable over time, but I think the thing I like more about M57 compared to M27 is the contrast between sky and nebula.

In the end it was one of my best nights I have had with my new (5 months old) scope. I have yet to try it at my grandma and grandpas' where the milky way is visable, and I am very excited to do just that.

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

Nice report! Glad you finally got a good night!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out under the stars for almost a month. (Ya know, school, homework, cloudy nights...) But I'm hopefully going to finish the exposures for the andromeda galaxy I've been working on next weekend. (Assuming clear skies of course...)

Good job, nice write up. I've not seen M13 or M92 yet - hopefully get them soon :smile: managed to catch M27 AND M57 for the first time last month. I was more impressed by the ring as well. 

Doubt I get anywhere near the views you do though with my wee 4 and 5 inch scopes :tongue2:

Great report... We can all relate to how rewarding and rare a good night of observing can be, so I'm very happy for you that you could experience that night where you will cherish the memory of what you saw and a night that will keep you hungry for another one.

Hey Victor, that's a nice report!  Sounds like a very nice setup you have and also a good list of deep sky targets. I've yet to spot that propellor either, but M13 is fantastic isn't it?!  I use a Barlow on my 8.8 to bring the mag to about 200x which is a nice compromise and tends to be more within the bounds of seeing. M92 is remarkably accessible and more loosely packed. I always think it looks like a bright galaxy. 

To be honest both a UHC and O-III will be useful on M57 and M27.  I often view M57 unfiltered and agree the contrast is great!  

Glad you had a cloudless night, we were socked in over here!

11 hours ago, Paul73 said:

M92 would be a showpiece object in its own right.

It really was!

11 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Nice report! Glad you finally got a good night!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out under the stars for almost a month. (Ya know, school, homework, cloudy nights...) But I'm hopefully going to finish the exposures for the andromeda galaxy I've been working on next weekend. (Assuming clear skies of course...)

Thank you! And yes I can relate:-)

10 hours ago, davyludo said:

Doubt I get anywhere near the views you do though with my wee 4 and 5 inch scopes :tongue2:

Under dark skies I am sure you would be able to get somewhat the same view if not better, because where I live there are street lights everywhere. 

10 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

night that will keep you hungry for another one.

This one sure did:-)

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Glad you had a cloudless night, we were socked in over here!

Thank you for your answer! Sorry to hear that it wasn't clear where you live, but hopefully you will get clear soon:-)

Thank you all for your kind words!

Victor Boesen

Have you tried M2 and M15 yet? Just to see how they compare to M92 and M13. When M13 is in the West, M2 and M15 are in the south. 

I was looking at them last weekend and trying to convince myself that I could resolve some of the outer stars in my mak 127 (with averted vision) :tongue2:

4 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Have you tried M2 and M15 yet? Just to see how they compare to M92 and M13. When M13 is in the West, M2 and M15 are in the south. 

I was looking at them last weekend and trying to convince myself that I could resolve some of the outer stars in my mak 127 (with averted vision) :tongue2:

The targets I saw last night are pretty much the only targets I can observe from my terrace at this moment..

thats why I am desperate to try my scope at my grandparents house where there is a lot my sky available.

I am also thinking about getting a smal travel scope at some point. Then I would be able to bring a telescope with me when I am going to a dark sky. I am looking at the startravel 102, and I just noticed that it might be what you have in your profile picture?

Nice write up Victor. The 10" is a very capable scope. Should be quite capable of showing you the propeller but it may need darker skies. I've got it clearly in an 8" SCT before.

I think both an OIII and a UHC filter would be useful for objects like M27 and 57, plenty more too.

As said, M2 and M15 are worth a look too.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice write up Victor. The 10" is a very capable scope. Should be quite capable of showing you the propeller but it may need darker skies. I've got it clearly in an 8" SCT before.

I think both an OIII and a UHC filter would be useful for objects like M27 and 57, plenty more too.

As said, M2 and M15 are worth a look too.

Thanks stu! As you mentioned yourself I will need darker skies to get the propeller. The light pollution is pretty bad where I live.

I have been thinking of investing in a UHC and an OIII to improve nebula, so thank you for your advice!

Great report Victor, it's always good to see others enjoying this great hobby.

You caught some great objects, the ring always delights and the globs can be enjoyed with some light pollution.

Clear skies and good luck. 

8 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

I have been thinking of investing in a UHC and an OIII to improve nebula, so thank you for your advice!

Have a look at the Explore Scientific ones, they are good, and a reasonable price.

28 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Great report Victor, it's always good to see others enjoying this great hobby.

You caught some great objects, the ring always delights and the globs can be enjoyed with some light pollution.

Clear skies and good luck. 

Thank you very much! I am really starting to enjoy globular clusters:-)

6 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thank you very much! I am really starting to enjoy globular clusters:-)

The beauty of globs is that they are made up of hundreds of point sources so tend to cope with light pollution better than nebulae.

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

The targets I saw last night are pretty much the only targets I can observe from my terrace at this moment..

thats why I am desperate to try my scope at my grandparents house where there is a lot my sky available.

I am also thinking about getting a smal travel scope at some point. Then I would be able to bring a telescope with me when I am going to a dark sky. I am looking at the startravel 102, and I just noticed that it might be what you have in your profile picture?

Yeah I get a very restricted view from the balcony at my flat, I get a letterbox view to the south west. I tend to prefer going to my mum's garden as she lives closer to the edge of Edinburgh and has clear views south, with a lot less light pollution than my flat in the north of Edinburgh. 

I do indeed have the ST102, which I love. I've been using it for about a year. I use it on an AZ4 or AZ5, so I can pick it up and plonk it anywhere and it's ready to go. It's not great above 100x mag, get a bit of CA, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I bought it to take away camping with me....but haven't been away with it yet.

I've recently picked up a mak 127 so I use the mak for higher mag stuff and then the ST102 for wide field. The 2 together are a perfect combination for me. I've seen the ring and some globs in both. I think the mak provided a little more detail....but if I was to take the ST102 to dark skies I know I would be blown away.

Obviously you won't get views like your 10" dob, but the ST102 really is a great little scope.

Here it is, tucked up safe in it's bed. I got the toolbox from B&Q for something like £15. Perfect fit using the polystyrene blocks that the scope came with.

20171007_140216.thumb.jpg.ff823f46b3bb01347fd060a3994c527c.jpg

44 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Yeah I get a very restricted view from the balcony at my flat, I get a letterbox view to the south west. I tend to prefer going to my mum's garden as she lives closer to the edge of Edinburgh and has clear views south, with a lot less light pollution than my flat in the north of Edinburgh. 

I do indeed have the ST102, which I love. I've been using it for about a year. I use it on an AZ4 or AZ5, so I can pick it up and plonk it anywhere and it's ready to go. It's not great above 100x mag, get a bit of CA, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I bought it to take away camping with me....but haven't been away with it yet.

I've recently picked up a mak 127 so I use the mak for higher mag stuff and then the ST102 for wide field. The 2 together are a perfect combination for me. I've seen the ring and some globs in both. I think the mak provided a little more detail....but if I was to take the ST102 to dark skies I know I would be blown away.

Obviously you won't get views like your 10" dob, but the ST102 really is a great little scope.

Here it is, tucked up safe in it's bed. I got the toolbox from B&Q for something like £15. Perfect fit using the polystyrene blocks that the scope came with.

20171007_140216.thumb.jpg.ff823f46b3bb01347fd060a3994c527c.jpg

Looks nice! The only thing bothering me is that the OTA is sold with a (from what I have read) poor 45 degree 1,25" diagonal. The finder should not be a problem to replace because I should just be able to take the finder from my dob and mount it on the startravel, shoud I not??

in my case I would mount the startravel on a photographic mount with a tough ball head to have an ultra travel friendly setup.

10 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Looks nice! The only thing bothering me is that the OTA is sold with a (from what I have read) poor 45 degree 1,25" diagonal. The finder should not be a problem to replace because I should just be able to take the finder from my dob and mount it on the startravel, shoud I not??

in my case I would mount the startravel on a photographic mount with a tough ball head to have an ultra travel friendly setup.

Yeah I replaced the diagonal within a day or 2 after reading reviews. It was my first scope with a diagonal so I didn't really k ow much about it. I bought a revelation 1.25" and liked it so much that when a 2" came up I jumped at the chance. Recent bought an aero ED 30mm 2" eyepiece which gives me about 4 degrees fov and I just love scanning about with it.

It comes with an RDF which I swapped to a skywatcher 6x30 RACI finder. I sometimes go back to the RDF if I have the ST and mak out at the same time - as I need the finder for the mak otherwise I can't find anything. 

Don't know much about photo tripods, but if it helps I think the OTA weighs around 2.5 to 3kg. And the dovetail has threaded holes in the bottom.... probably a 1/4 or 3/8th.

12 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Yeah I replaced the diagonal within a day or 2 after reading reviews. It was my first scope with a diagonal so I didn't really k ow much about it. I bought a revelation 1.25" and liked it so much that when a 2" came up I jumped at the chance. Recent bought an aero ED 30mm 2" eyepiece which gives me about 4 degrees fov and I just love scanning about with it.

That's what I thought. I have looked at the 2" skywatcher di-electric diagonal, and that will probably be replacing the 45 degree diagonal if I go ahead and buy the startravel. I will probably wait until christmas if I do. 

I think the scope will do amazing with my 24mm 82 degree eyepiece!! 

Archived