SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M57

alan4908

Another attempt at M57, this time with RGB stars and narrowband data to better capture the outer halos. I’ve also included an annotated version which identifies four background galaxies and two quasars.  

The image below represents a total integration time of 24 hours and was taken with my Esprit 150.

1213307515_29.Finalcrop.thumb.jpg.e51b443c07611a4ed7c7ad725615f5f7.jpg

1909143196_29.Final_crop_annotated.thumb.jpg.52acc8b6ea9e8df6eabf685809c87f7a.jpg

Alan

LIGHTS: L:40, R:14, G:17, B:18 x 600s; H:10, O:9 x 1800s all at -20C.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, peter shah said:

A little too much noise reduction for me but you have managed to show the OIII and secondary shell beautifully, you even have a hint of the third shell which is no easy task....Nicely done

Thanks for the comment Peter. :happy11:

Alan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Another attempt at M57, this time with RGB stars and narrowband data to better capture the outer halos

Wow! Its an amazing image. And when you zoom in to the nebula and increase the local contrast, it begins to resemble a rose more than a ring.

1696614332_29.Finalcrop.jpg.0ecf9d8bac65432a7b0746411fe5491c.png.9190e82cde2e311c1a9949c7ebc1e108.png

Edited by AstroMuni

Those outer regions are a real challenge so well done indeed.  Inevitably you end up with the ultra faint regions being quite noisy, I don't think it matters if you allow a bit of that noise to come through

4 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Wow! Its an amazing image. And when you zoom in to the nebula and increase the local contrast, it begins to resemble a rose more than a ring.

Thanks ! - yes,  I agree those outer regions make it look a bit like a rose when you boost the contrast....

28 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Those outer regions are a real challenge so well done indeed.  Inevitably you end up with the ultra faint regions being quite noisy, I don't think it matters if you allow a bit of that noise to come through

Thanks Martin - I presume the deep narrow band nature of the capture is a result of relatively dark skies at my site and 30min subs.  On the noise front, you are correct, ultra noisily outer regions, however, given that this is a gas, I personally think the level of noise level looks OK but I understand your point. :hello: 

Alan

I agree with others it would be better to hold back on the noise reduction, it ends up giving a false “plastic” feel to what is otherwise a fantastic image 

Having said that, I haven’t seen many if any  images that show the outer shells like that! 
well done! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

13 hours ago, assouptro said:

I agree with others it would be better to hold back on the noise reduction, it ends up giving a false “plastic” feel to what is otherwise a fantastic image 

Having said that, I haven’t seen many if any  images that show the outer shells like that! 
well done! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

Thanks for the comment Bryan !

Alan