NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problems with Canon Raw files

mikeyj1

Hi all,  I hope you can help...

My new and astro modified EOS 1300d saves RAW as CR2 files.  I take them off the camera using a card reader, but have two issues:

- Windows explorer doesn't recognise them at all.  I downloaded Canons digital photo pro, and the eos utility, and although it can read them in the app, explorer still doesn't know what to make of them..!

- More importantly, DSS 3.3.2 loads them but after stacking with darks, i get a thin strip of picture and not the full dimensions.

Anyone experienced these issues and have a solution? 

thanks

Mike

+1 for version 3.3.4 to resolve the final image issue.

Windows will not be able to read .cr2 files and these can only be viewed using 3rd party software. I just use the canon photo pro.

When using APT with the canon this wll also be able to view the images as they are taken.

Spill.

thanks for your replies,

certainly 3.3.4 DSS works, Great!

As for the Codecs, still having problems on my Surface pro 3 (win 8.1pro), as the MS downloads (thanks for the link Peter),say its not compatible (both x86 and x64).  Good tip for APT, will try that, and see how well my Home pc (Win10) works.  

Still seems crazy that two companies as small and insubstantial as MS and Canon can't work it through..!

Mike

Yes, sure Peter.  I just tried loading an older set of NEF files from my Nikon,along with darks and bias, and works fine, including the luminance tab. there just doesn't seem to be any data on the final tiff after the canon files are stacked (note the one/two lines on the screenshot above, there is no 'breadth to the data..)

I have a similar problem with the 80D RAW files (I expect they are the same version as 1300D) I cant get DSS to work, my Photoshop CS6 doesn't recognize them and APT just locks up the camera, thankfully Win 10 explorer is fine with them.

I have overcome most of these issues by converting the RAWs to DNG first.

Alan

Interesting, and frustrating!  I will be able to try it out on another machine OS this weekend, so will come back on it then, for now, i am stuck, but the conversion option sounds possible, what do you convert them with?  i also downloaded APT on this machine (Surface pro3), and it didnt work, but didnt put that together...

Quick update on APT:  just spoke (by email) to IVO at APT, he suggests:  (and it works, although haven't tried 3.36 yet.)

Please use the Shift+Click on the Connect button and select Digic Generation 6, 7, 4+. If this doesn’t help then get the beta version 3.36 (I would suggest to use that version in all cases)

8 hours ago, mikeyj1 said:

Interesting, and frustrating!  I will be able to try it out on another machine OS this weekend, so will come back on it then, for now, i am stuck, but the conversion option sounds possible, what do you convert them with?  i also downloaded APT on this machine (Surface pro3), and it didnt work, but didnt put that together...

I use Adobe DNG converter, its free and can process a whole batch at a time.

Alan

8 hours ago, mikeyj1 said:

Quick update on APT:  just spoke (by email) to IVO at APT, he suggests:  (and it works, although haven't tried 3.36 yet.)

Please use the Shift+Click on the Connect button and select Digic Generation 6, 7, 4+. If this doesn’t help then get the beta version 3.36 (I would suggest to use that version in all cases)

I did like APT but the instance of freezing my new camera at its first attempt on a version that was supposed to be compatible has put me off for good.

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I did like APT but the instance of freezing my new camera at its first attempt on a version that was supposed to be compatible has put me off for good.

Alan

So what are you using now?  

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

A bit harsh isn't it Alan? Ivo is a good lad and I am sure that he will try to get it working which will benefit everyone. I am sure he hasn't got each and every camera to try so relies on users for feedback.

He very quickly got a TEMPerHUM module working for a few of us as it was a new version whose output was slightly different to the previous versions. He also responded quickly when I pointed out the Canon 6D pixel scale was incorrect in a specific version and then promptly fixed it so he has been very receptive in the past.

But the choice is yours of course. I am assuming that you mean it froze and you had to remove the battery to get it working again rather than it was bricked?

4 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

A bit harsh isn't it Alan? Ivo is a good lad and I am sure that he will try to get it working which will benefit everyone. I am sure he hasn't got each and every camera to try so relies on users for feedback.

He very quickly got a TEMPerHUM module working for a few of us as it was a new version whose output was slightly different to the previous versions. He also responded quickly when I pointed out the Canon 6D pixel scale was incorrect in a specific version and then promptly fixed it so he has been very receptive in the past.

But the choice is yours of course. I am assuming that you mean it froze and you had to remove the battery to get it working again rather than it was bricked?

Thanks Stuart, It recovered but I am always reminded of the 60Da and third party software where a few cameras died (I have to add it was never actually attributed to such) and to be honest Canons own EOS util and Camera connect do all I need in conjunction with a wireless intervalometer.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, but I have some news.  Definately the problem is with the Win8.1pro, for file recognition, there are lots of posts about it on the internet.  The only solution i can find is using a codec pack called 'FastPictureViewer' (https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/).  It works straight away, all files are visible and have thumbnails, so a great result!  after a free period it costs $9.99 but honestly thats a small price for the improvement in usability, and i recommend it as the best solution to Canon raw issues.

Regarding DSS, version 3.3.4 seems to have some issues, also experienced on a win 10 laptop.  will post again when i have either an answer or a more definitive description of the issue. 

Thanks for your interest and support

Mike

Archived