Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

we deff dodged a bullet with AR2665

xtreemchaos

49 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I take it that flare wasn't in our direction. What would happen if it were?

No it wasn't. If it was, satellites could have issues which would affect coms, power grids could be effected and all sorts of other modern gadgetry in general. Thankfully big events in our direction have a reasonably low frequency and there are some early warning systems to help operators of said gadgetry prepare in advance.

somebody hasn't told the sun yet Alan, events like yesterday reminds us what a dynamic and powerfull sun we have and puts things in prospective , but mate theres no point worrying about it because theres nothing we could do if something like that hits us. the song " allways look on the bright side of life" comes to mind:icon_biggrin:. charl.

I have often wondered about the effects of a very large CME, I do have a large stock of valves so could knock up a wireless for post strike information, unfortunately my soldering iron wouldn't work if there was no power. 

Alan

Impressive blast! I have seen several X-class flares going of, with the AR involved facing us (or even slightly east of meridian, which means the earth gets the full blast. Yes, they can affect power grids, yes, satellites can be affected, but for us, shielded by the Earth's magnetic field, there is no risk whatsoever. All that happens is that aurorae may give off spectacular displays. Mankind has survived untold X-class flares in the couple of hundreds of thousands of years we have been around.

Archived