SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO ASI 1600 MM washer/spacer

jbrazio

ZWO provides you inside the box of the ASI1600 a couple of washer to be used between the camera body and the filter wheel so everything keep it's proper orthogonal alignment.
In my specific case, when using the ZWO EFW 8 slots, I needed a few more spacer millimeters between the camera's body and the filter wheel, so I decided to print them.

You've got a couple of sizes to download:

• 0.25mm
  • 0.50mm
  • 0.65mm
  • 1.00mm

Download the models from Thing 2426248.

f665dfdf623905f675c45e53f430ed91_preview_featured.jpg.edaa0e2d0ad9ab38f83006662497fdfe.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I´ve just started using my 1600 with a manual lens and according to the specs I should only use the EFW with the EOS adapter to the lens. However, I get weird star shapes in the corners, indicating that the spacing might be off. Is it standard to use the spacers between the camera and EFW? How much can I add there without the threading not get a firm enough grip?

On 03/01/2018 at 04:28, MartinFransson said:

Hi!

I´ve just started using my 1600 with a manual lens and according to the specs I should only use the EFW with the EOS adapter to the lens. However, I get weird star shapes in the corners, indicating that the spacing might be off. Is it standard to use the spacers between the camera and EFW? How much can I add there without the threading not get a firm enough grip?

The spacers are really just to get the camera orientation right. The thread pitch is 0.75mm so the maximum thisckness needed is 0.75mm. If you want to rotate the camera 90 degrees then 0.2mm is enough. Personally, I prefer steel spacers so they do not compress or flex.

Its unluikely that the star shapes are due to spacing if you are not using a flattener. The spacing needs to be right to be able to focus the lens. If you need more space then add spacers on the lens side. You don't want the camera to be too far from the EFW when using 1.25" filters or you will get excessive vignetting.

56 minutes ago, Filroden said:

This might be a dumb question but why would you need to orient the camera and filter wheel orthogonally?

To fit an OAG where you need the long edge at the top of the filter wheel. Or maybe if you are just a bit OCD

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just found this thread. 

I tried fitting my new ASI1600MM, EFW mini and ZWO OAG together last night and couldn't get the camera and filter wheel to align so that the OAG pick was above the sensor.   Tried all variations of shims that came with the camera and without.   When tightened the EFW was always pointing on the diagonal relative to the camera sensor. 

Anyone else found this?

What am I doing wrong?

51 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Anyone else found this?

What am I doing wrong?

Yes, and it’s fine. Here’s my normal set up.

F56EDE23-8077-431A-9CFE-47B2F10D3DA0.thumb.jpeg.15897283e29aa763f5ccc97ae8b67885.jpeg

My OAG is on the diagonal but I have never noticed any impact on my images. Before you spend a lot of time trying to add spacers, take a few shots and check if it’s okay as it is.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a try, I just thought the prism looked like it was going to be in the way of the sensor.

The manuals always make everything look perfectly orientated!!

Archived