Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Genuine Ortho 12.5 mm

IMG_20170614_120849.thumb.jpg.3c32bcbe862c0d7e961fa16247b6fc5c.jpg

IMG_20170614_120939.thumb.jpg.66bea71d231c1096cdc13f4afc2d4170.jpg

After around 18 months of searching high and low I have eventually managed to get a 12.5mm. This Baader Genuine Ortho has been elusive to track down and secure to say the least. But fortunately for me a buddy managed to get hold of this example to which I am very grateful for the assistance. For some reason the 12.5 BGO does not seem to come onto the market very frequently. I am not sure if the reason for this is there were limited numbers produced and sold compared to other focal ranges. Or maybe the 12.5 mm is a more popular focal range so people do not want to sell their examples on the second hand market, so less available.

From initial viewing this 12.5 mm does seem in very good condition. Unfortunately no original box , which is a bit of a shame. But does come complete with original caps which is good news. I have not had time to try the newly acquired Ortho in the scope at the present time. But weather permitting then it will be heading for the refractor at the earliest opportunity. 

A great find for me and hopefully the Baader 12.5mm will be as good in this focal range as the others I have. 

Good find. One of the best variants IMO as you can 2x Barlow it to 6.25mm with better eye relief than a native 6mm.

One went on eBay last week for £34 plus £3.50 shipping - and a 5mm for £26 plus shipping!!

Enjoy your new piece?.

Dave

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Good find. One of the best variants IMO as you can 2x Barlow it to 6.25mm with better eye relief than a native 6mm.

One went on eBay last week for £34 plus £3.50 shipping - and a 5mm for £26 plus shipping!!

Enjoy your new piece?.

Dave

I was shadowing that sale and when it came to the crunch I missed it, completely forgot about it, and I was gutted, however, well done to whomsoever scored that one !!

6 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I was shadowing that sale and when it came to the crunch I missed it, completely forgot about it, and I was gutted, however, well done to whomsoever scored that one !!

Same here Steve! I'd have gone for the 12.5mm, not the 5mm as I've just bought an XW5mm :-).

Dave

10 hours ago, F15Rules said:

It looks very much like the one off eBay I reckon. I too was tempted but resisted given current budget restrictions!

6 hours ago, Saganite said:

I use AuctionStealer to setup last second snipes.  It helps win auctions by not revealing your hand too soon and by bidding long after you've forgotten about an auction.  I assume it works for UK ebay as well as US ebay auctions, but YMMV.  I've been using their free service since 2002 with no issues.

12.5 is a very nice focal length in an ortho, i had the circle T and it was most used, the BGO is a superb ep, i am sure you will be delighted with it, i now have a few Antares HD ortho`s and would like to track down a 12.5 in this brand

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

I use AuctionStealer to setup last second snipes.  It helps win auctions by not revealing your hand too soon and by bidding long after you've forgotten about an auction.  I assume it works for UK ebay as well as US ebay auctions, but YMMV.  I've been using their free service since 2002 with no issues.

A good idea Louis that I will investigate. I could so easily have put a bid on,in advance, as I was quite prepared to go higher than the sale price, but didn't.....:iamwithstupid:

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Same here Steve! I'd have gone for the 12.5mm, not the 5mm as I've just bought an XW5mm :-).

Dave

Yes, I was only interested in the 12.5mm..........why did I part with my circle T VT  ???  :iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

2 hours ago, Saganite said:

Yes, I was only interested in the 12.5mm..........why did I part with my circle T VT  ???  :iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

That must be the most commonly self-asked question in the whole astro community.."Why did I part with..." ??

Dave

It looks a very nice eyepiece!

I never looked through an orthoscopic EP. As circle Ts have been mentioned, may I ask what are the differences between the BGO type and the Circle T? I can see from photos that they have different design with the latter having a shape resembling a volcano. How about the glass and optical performance?

Its not until you have tried a certain eyepiece for yourself, do you realise that a mistake has been made / could have been made, after the sale?
I have a mediocre f/ratio so not too demanding on eyepiece selection, but still capable of good views using the present eyepieces, when conditions allow!
I've no regrets having recently sold some Meade's, BCO's, Delois and TV Plössls! I bought them mainly for testing purposes. The only problem I have now is there's nothing left to buy for this scope, job done?  

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

That must be the most commonly self-asked question in the whole astro community.."Why did I part with..." ??

Dave

That's one advantage to being an astro hoarder.  I've yet to sell a single eyepiece in 20 years.  Mostly I'm just too busy to be bothered with listing anything and then packing them for shipment.  I've done in-person sales via Craigslist in cash repeatedly for non-astro stuff, though; so I'm not opposed to selling stuff I no longer use.  It's just that the used astro market in my town is rather limited.  I've got a lot of astro equipment I haven't used in years that I should pass along.  I've also got tons of ancient camera gear that needs the same treatment.  The problem is, many of the small, low-end items sell for about the cost of shipping, so it looks like a 50% mark up over fair market value.

When I get a new scope, I sometimes find that eyepieces that were marginal in my other scopes are acceptable in the new one.  Case in point, my f/12 Mak when adapted to 2" eyepieces works quite well with the 30mm RPD/Moonfish/Widescan-clone and 40mm Meade 5000 60 degree plossl.  At f/6, they're rather miserable beyond the inner 50%.  The 13mm and 17mm AT AF70 eyepieces also work quite well in it but not so much at f/6.  It makes me glad I held onto them and found a good use for them as travel eyepieces.  If they get stolen out of my vehicle, I won't feel so bad because I didn't pay all that much for them.

5 hours ago, Piero said:

It looks a very nice eyepiece!

I never looked through an orthoscopic EP. As circle Ts have been mentioned, may I ask what are the differences between the BGO type and the Circle T? I can see from photos that they have different design with the latter having a shape resembling a volcano. How about the glass and optical performance?

If your wanting to try orthoscopics the BGO is one of the best, it has slightly better light transmission compared to the circle T but the circlet is still a very good eyepiece, I used to own the full set and even the tiny 4mm was used in my old 4"/F10 frac.

Archived