NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your telescope storage area

Richard Hather

Bit of a weird one maybe but having spent most of my morning emptying the cupboard to make room for my newly acquired 12" dob I'm curious how other members make do with limited space?

It looks spacious in the cupboard but the base only just fits through the door but hey at least it fits ?

Before this the scope was happily living in the kitchen with the wife saying it already looks weird it not being there and assuring me if it's a clear few nights I can keep it in the kitchen for easier setup ? Win Win ?

IMG_6114.JPG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets worse the more scopes you acquire !!  ... Large heavy duty tripods are a bit of a 'mare to store in a domestic setting.  They either occupy too much ground space if left in 'ready to use' mode  OR are inherently unstable if collapsed.   I am presently thinking of building a outside shed/cupboard to house them...      

(  yes...'them' ,  EQ6. HEQ5 and two photographic ones..!!!) .....  more legs than a millipede convention.

Sean

4 minutes ago, Craney said:

It gets worse the more scopes you acquire !!  ... Large heavy duty tripods are a bit of a 'mare to store in a domestic setting.  They either occupy too much ground space if left in 'ready to use' mode  OR are inherently unstable if collapsed.   I am presently thinking of building a outside shed/cupboard to house them...      

(  yes...'them' ,  EQ6. HEQ5 and two photographic ones..!!!) .....  more legs than a millipede convention.

Sean

I had a Celestron Nexstar 6se which I stored in a plastic case and a bag for the tripod it worked pretty well but probably took more storage space then my 12" dob.

Which is very interesting and considering you usually have a bag for eps table and a chair or 2 space can quickly become an issue.

Thats a great idea with the shed, it's crossed my mind a few times maybe one day ?

I keep the ones I'm not using in the loft on racks, and the 5 or six I use a lot in the obsyroom, mrs chaos says we need a bigger loft ,I'm all for that id soon fill the extra space :icon_biggrin:. looks nice and neat in the cubbard mate. charl.

heres a pic of my obsyroom, carnt get up the loft at the mo with my gammy leg joints..

DSC01925.thumb.JPG.85555478636ccd9aef9271f24e87e0d5.JPG

2 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

I keep the ones I'm not using in the loft on racks, and the 5 or six I use a lot in the obsyroom, mrs chaos says we need a bigger loft ,I'm all for that id soon fill the extra space :icon_biggrin:. looks nice and neat in the cubbard mate. charl.

Wow I can't believe you have that many scopes ?

For now I'm content owning one scope at a time and building my EP collection.

Haha I should have took a before and after photo it was packed with stuff to the door but hard works done now at least my scopes save from the kids ?

Ive still got nearly every scope ive brought over the last 40 years, I get attatched to my kit and find it hard to let go, some people keep pics to remember bits in there life I do the same with kit, thay all hold memorys. the scopes I use the most are in my sig, and thay are my tools for the job needed for just about anything in the sky, dust don't settle on any if you know what I mean.  that's a nice dob you have been getting, it will show you wonderfull things mate. clear skys, charl.

11 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Wow I can't believe you have that many scopes

13 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

Ive still got nearly every scope ive brought over the last 40 years, I get attatched to my kit and find it hard to let go, some people keep pics to remember bits in there life I do the same with kit, thay all hold memorys. the scopes I use the most are in my sig, and thay are my tools for the job needed for just about anything in the sky, dust don't settle on any if you know what I mean.  that's a nice dob you have been getting, it will show you wonderfull things mate. clear skys, charl.

I can completely understand it was hard selling my C6 but it had to be done aperture fever had taken hold ?

I have my sketch book which I look back on and will always remember how it felt viewing that object for the first time with I mite add was my first scope ?

Guest Tuomo
Just now, Richard Hather said:

Very organised, what type of dob is that may I ask?

Orion USA 12" with Skywatcher motor focuser and Skywatcher guide scope mount.

Guest Tuomo
1 minute ago, Richard Hather said:

Nice ? I can see 3 scopes in the pic is that you done or as you put is there more space to be filled ?

Mount will be replaced with better one and.........I dont know :D I think I will build some kind of wall "thingie" where I can store my mount. At the moment it takes too much of a space near the fridge, even tho this is corner in my so called mancave.

10 minutes ago, Tuomo said:

Mount will be replaced with better one and.........I dont know :D I think I will build some kind of wall "thingie" where I can store my mount. At the moment it takes too much of a space near the fridge, even tho this is corner in my so called mancave.

Always good to make the most of the space you have, I have part of the downstairs cupboard that's my mancave ?

Kit storage.... what a great thread....  it is like looking at an engineer's garage..... quality, precision, everything has its place and has its use.

It is good to see how many people have slipped joyfully down the greasy plank called..... 'scope acquisition'

Charl.!!!  you seem to be resident in a telescope warehouse !!!  I like your reasoning.  A good scope is like an old friend... it has memories, nuances. Hard to let go.

Keep the pics coming......

Sean.

Hmmm ..... nothing special here :rolleyes2:

I'm "assigned" 2 corners of the dining room plus a tall thin cupboard for my 5 scopes, 2 mounts, 20+ eyepieces and goodness knows what else. On the plus side it's all just a couple of metres away from my main observing location - the patio outiside the french windows :smiley:

PS: sorry about the dust - I'd have cleaned up if I'd known I was going to have visitors :grin:

P1050668.JPG

P1050669.JPG

P1050670.JPG

P1050671.JPG

Similar to John, I have a corner of the dinning / back room to use as the 'nerve' centre for gathering most of my equipment. Other items are squirreled away mainly stored in cupboards, room corners and on top of a wardrobe in a spare bedroom. Only my rubber ground mat is kept in a shed.

P1070452.JPG

P1070466.JPG

1 hour ago, John said:

Hmmm ..... nothing special here :rolleyes2:

I'm "assigned" 2 corners of the dining room plus a tall thin cupboard for my 5 scopes, 2 mounts, 20+ eyepieces and goodness knows what else. On the plus side it's all just a couple of metres away from my main observing location - the patio outiside the french windows :smiley:

PS: sorry about the dust - I'd have cleaned up if I'd known I was going to have visitors :grin:

P1050668.JPG

P1050669.JPG

P1050670.JPG

P1050671.JPG

I can see all those televue boxes stacked at the top of the cupboard haha ?

Considering how many scopes you have that's pretty neat in my book ?

It depends on what you own and space available. I have scopes (or parts of) stored under my bed. Other parts are spread out around the house between the box room and a corner of my bedroom. Nothing is in the way and all within easy access. 

Archived