NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I Take Multiple Shots When Not Using a Computer?

When set up at home, I use BackyardEOS on a PC to run the Canon DSLR camera and take series of snaps at a set time length.  However, if I take the telescope to a dark field somewhere, I was wondering how I could get the camera to take a series of snaps without access to the computer?  I'm sure I read somewhere that to stack images successfully, they all need to be the exactly the same exposure length etc?  

Appreciate any pointers - Thanks

Buy a cheap intervalometer (remote shutter release) from amazon. The intervalometer can be programmed to take a series of shots at a set exposure length (set the camera to the "B" setting), time between each shot, number of shots to take and time before first shot. A cheap intervalometer will cost between £10 to £20 compared to £120 for a genuine Canon model.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that my Fuji Xt-1 has a built in intervalometer, but does it automatically combine the images into a time lapse or does it leave them separate? If it does combine them then is there a way to take the individual frames out of the time lapse?

I use my Intervalometer for over-nite runs with my DSLR.

Two items to point out:

1. Use the fastest storage card your camera is rated for. 2. And allow a storage 'window' in your programming of the intervalometer.

Otherwise, your camera may dictate when it starts the next image, and it can get irregular image times.

I currently am using a wireless Intervalometer. 64 Gb Extreme Pro SanDisc card. And at least a 5 second interval for storage.

I figure simple math for mine. Say a 15 second exposure, and a 5 second storage window. Equals 20 second image, or 3 per minute.

Or 10 and 10 at ISO 3200. Still 3 per minute, because the two windows equal 20 seconds.

Then the images are made into either movies, or GIF files.  And I adjust the run times for each image to get a smoother result. 0.1 frame a second, or 0.05 frame a second works good.

I use Windows Movie Maker, or an online site called GIFmaker.me

I've taken a liking to gifmaker. RESULTS HERE.

These are individual images put together into a GIF file.

But all a time-lapse is, is a series of individual images taken in a timed series, then assembled into a gif or a movie type of file.

Lots of fun to do and play with. One drawback is the shutter operations these can put on your camera.

I don't think (earlier) Canons have a built in intervalometer. I use one of the cheap and cheerful intervalometer/remotes and it is 100% cheerful doing the job really well and teh small green/red leds let me see what's going on from the kitchen :-)

Archived