Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aperture fever or common sense???

Richard Hather

Thank you Scarp I appreciate your advise and your right I think I would think I should have got the 12".

Im going to purchase a Skywatcher 12" tracking Dobsonian it should decided.

I already have 2 widefield eps a Ethos 13mm and a ES 20mm 100d with plans to purchase a ethos 8mm and a Es 30mm 82d at a later date this should have all areas covered ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Richard Hather said:

I mite just be decided

Lol!

You'll never know until you try. Get the biggest you can comfortably afford, and manhandle. If you've a permanent residence, anything over 12" would be stunning under the right conditions.

Jupiter on an excellent night is stunning on my scope, but a little too small, but it's there.
Aside my scope, the 12" should provide the same details, if not a little sharper and possibly a little  larger, thats my understanding, and was my wish to try such a scope in order to progress a little further, but decisions were many, so I'm stuck, not un-happy, but stuck for a while longer with the 8", plus I have other very expensive projects  running parallel  at present?

Don't expect Hubble type images, but if you can look through a scope beforehand, you'll  be better informed.

Trust me I don't expect Hubble type detail but I would like to see a bit more detail on DSO and on the planets a moon and see a lot of the messier list even if it's just a smudge I understand the pitfalls of purchasing this scope you guys have been great with informing me.

I just feel it's an itch I must scratch.

Good luck Richard, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your choice. 

Don't be like me and keep dithering, it took me eighteen months to arrive at my present scope and since having it I've had so much enjoyment from it I keep kicking myself for procrastinating. 

I was viewing Jupiter last night using eyepieces between 12 and 25mm, the detail improving as I jumped to the longer focal lengths, but alas the image  shrinks at the same rate, more detail, smaller image! Sounds crazy, but a bigger aperture would have helped me.

What's done is done, I should get the skywatcher flextube 300p auto on Monday, I've been reading up a lot on collimating the scope and of course star hopping ?

Ive even downloaded the manual on setup and how to use and watched a lot of YouTube videos almost like I've already used the scope now ?

23 minutes ago, Racey said:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

Up until recently, our largest scope has been our 8" EdgeHD. The newly arrived 14" Flextube I got from @Daniel-K has been an astonishing step up...

Have fun...

IMG_8769.thumb.JPG.90e84477725d6bb91c0bc7e11b9980d6.JPG

Not sure which i like more!!!!!!!!. Your labs or the size of your wine glass.

31 minutes ago, Racey said:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

Up until recently, our largest scope has been our 8" EdgeHD. The newly arrived 14" Flextube I got from @Daniel-K has been an astonishing step up...

Have fun...

IMG_8769.thumb.JPG.90e84477725d6bb91c0bc7e11b9980d6.JPG

Wow ? That's what I call a scope that looks like a beautiful area to setup and the wife and 4 dogs for company ?

For me I have the street popping in for a look I'm sure with the 12" it will draw a lot more attention ?

10 minutes ago, Charic said:

Blind as a Bat..I must admit I only saw the two fronts dogs?

And everyone missed the 5th...

(Hiding in the house because he was in trouble ?)

Just now, Astro Imp said:

Enjoy your new toy Richard, you're in for a treat especially when these light nights pass.

Good luck, tell us all about it.

Cheers astro, i can't wait for the dark nights to come back.

Im sure I will have a lot to say and a great many questions ?

Just got the scope and I'm over the moon with it ?

Mirror tube and base look in very good condition also included was a Skywatcher battery pack light shroud laser collaminator and a Meade case full of other goodies.

Ive already checked collamination and it was slightly out but considering the scopes traveled 330 miles today I would be surprised if it was bang on.

Heres a pic like a kid on Christmas morning ?IMG_6075.thumb.JPG.8ba3278a24992eb6dc4f338be8f50b0c.JPG

3 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Just got the scope and I'm over the moon with it ?

Mirror tube and base look in very good condition also included was a Skywatcher battery pack light shroud laser collaminator and a Meade case full of other goodies.

Ive already checked collamination and it was slightly out but considering the scopes traveled 330 miles today I would be surprised if it was bang on.

Heres a pic like a kid on Christmas morning ?IMG_6075.thumb.JPG.8ba3278a24992eb6dc4f338be8f50b0c.JPG

nice matey, laughed at your "t" shirt didn't see the name professor Bryan ,only the other words :happy11:

Archived