Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sony QX1

kiloran

I've done some reading around this camera which is effectively a wireless remote camera with an APS-C sensor. There are a few reports of using it for AP (within its limitations - specifically no bulb mode and limited to 30s exposures).

Any experience here using it?

The fact I can control it remotely without having a tethered laptop really appeals as it will keep setup time and cabling to a minimum. It also means I don't have to go out and buy a Windows laptop which seems pretty much required for a lot of tools. I should be able to find one for around £200 so it will be "cheap" way to have a little dabble with imaging. The 30s exposure restriction isn't an issue for me because I'm using an Alt-Az mount.

Just get a Canon and an intervalometer very few wires, much cheaper than £200 and it will work properly - anything Sony is generally a nightmare for AP - the first being it looks like JPG only - no RAW.

1 hour ago, John78 said:

Just get a Canon and an intervalometer very few wires, much cheaper than £200 and it will work properly - anything Sony is generally a nightmare for AP - the first being it looks like JPG only - no RAW.

Thanks. I already have a DSLR (Nikon D700) but that doesn't do video. I'm loathe to invest in the Canon ecosystem as all my lenses, etc. are Nikon so have been looking at dedicated astro cameras. Also can't bring myself to sell the Nikon kit even though it isn't getting used - too many memories!

The QX1 does appear to support RAW (specifically RAW+JPG) so that's not necessarily a barrier.

I'm really keen to get remote live view as I'm using a refractor. The alternative is a DSLR with an articulated screen or potentially finding a webcam that supports USB-To-Go - my Pixel phone has this capability so could act as a tethered live view screen/storage device.

I would advise trying with what you have got, maybe add a cheap windows tablet (£50) or used laptop (£100)  to enable you to use live view remotely. I use a Nikon for most of my photography, but have picked up a Canon 1100d (£150 ish) for astrophotography, but to be honest I could have equally have used my Nikon D90. The Canon is only used mounted to a scope or with old M42 screw fit lenses.

RAW isn't communicated across the wireless bridge - not necessarily a problem.

You're still looking at a Sony camera when you have Nikon lenses - so its still a right pain in the mount, I'd still get a Canon if I were you - a 1000D body is like £70, its a 30 minute job to astromod it and it works with all the tools when you want it to.  A Nikon lens to canon body adapter is about £10.

Is the frame rate of the liveview -> phone fast enough to use for focusing??

There are some good images shot with the QX1 on cloudynights - but - they are all in hyperstar configuration on edge HD 11" F2 scopes - which makes no sense - if you've got £3.5k+ for that scope why on earth would you bother with that camera - but it does look OK.

The linx 7" windows tablets do everything you need for £35 for a refurb, or £70 for the 10" higher spec unit.

Thanks again. Not intending to use any of my Nikon lenses for AP, except if I end up using the camera on the mount without the scope. None of my primes are particularly suited for AP despite all being f/1.4 or f/1.2

Hadn't realised a suitable Canon body was that cheap and will look at those Windows tablets...

• 1 year later...

Archived