Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dedicated astro camera for Sony E'mount

Hi, I think I know the answer to this but hoping someone knows something I don't but....................are there any dedicated astro OSC camera's and or adaptors out there which would allow fitment to a Sony E mount  lens (600mm F4) ?

Thanks, I'll check it out but have my doubts......a couple of threads elsewhere where the concensus seems to be nothing commercially is available, something about the e'mount flange being too shallow to accommodate the back focus

It was the inability to connect an astrophotography camera to my Sony fit Samyang 135mm lens that led me to cut my losses and sell all my Sony astro gear. I bought a ZWO osc camera and had an adapter 3d printed to a pattern designed by someone in the US.

Because there was no click stop on the adapter there was no way to secure the camera to the lens without using duct tape 😅, I managed to sell all gear and move to an imaging scope.

Hi Laurence, yeh I suspected that was the case. I guess long term I might end up doing the same but I've just ordered the mgen and hope that improves quality a little. My main other photography interests are Milky way and wildlife so for now I'll stick with my 600f4 + 14mm and a1/a7iii......the 600 is an amazing lens if a little short still even with convertors for galaxy season, Jerome

1 hour ago, JJPM-astro said:

Hi Laurence, yeh I suspected that was the case. I guess long term I might end up doing the same but I've just ordered the mgen and hope that improves quality a little. My main other photography interests are Milky way and wildlife so for now I'll stick with my 600f4 + 14mm and a1/a7iii......the 600 is an amazing lens if a little short still even with convertors for galaxy season, Jerome

Well you've got some good gear there. I had loads of Sony gear sitting around so I sold most of it to fund my astro hobby. I've still got the A9, 200-600 and the 90mm macro which covers all my photography needs plus the Tamron 28-75 for walkabout and family. What's an "mgen"?

Yep, for me it sounded ideal, I wanted to keep it simple and not go down the laptop route....I tried the StarAid but unfortunately for me I couldn't get it to dither or control my camera and customer service is.........not the best (that's being kind) so returned it . Much more help out there for mgen I think and at least I know is compatible with my cameras so I've ordered one and looking forward to using it.