Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

April 2, 2017: Some massive sunspot groups visible at the moment

I've just managed to get a quick sneak look through my new Lunt 60m Ha scope. Lovely views of the two sunspot groups and lots of large proms seen as well. A great first light. Looking forward to trying it with my binoviewers as I only had time for mono this morning.

There are some fantastic views at the moment Michael, yesterday was sublime and I have my scope set up outside waiting for this cloud to clear.
Steve posted some great images from yesterday that are well worth a look.

The view is getting better. Now set up the Orion VX8 with solar filter + continuum filter showing AR 2644 and 2645. On the eastern limb is AR2648 as Michael mentioned. However, using the PST I can see huge activity around AR2644 - extremely bright areas - I assume solar flares. Around AR2645 are some Plage. A few Proms around the edges. Great to switch between white light and Ha on the same mount (SkyTee2)

Archived