Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro equipment on a plane - battery pack !

bdlbug

Has anyone got any experience on what astro equipment can be taken through airport security and what needs to be put into hold baggage?

I am going on a trip to La Palma end of April - I am planning to take my wide field rig that is basically a skywatcher star adventurer, a ZWO ASI1600mm with a EFW and a couple of cannon lens, probably 28mm and 135mm. -and a tripod,

My concern is I want to hand carry the ASI600 and EFW with filters, anyone done this?

I don't have any concerns about the lens or laptop - airports are used to these items being transported - its the 'weird astro imaging stuff ' that people, ie security staff, don't recognize I am worried about

Finally - power I saw these Tracer 12v 14Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack that I think would be great to power the ASI cooling in remote areas if I am away from the car  - but has anyone taken these  battery packs on a plane - are there any security issues?

thanks,

B

There's a bit of a purge on electrical goods at present, especially laptops, capable of carrying explosives and exploding in-flight, so anything bigger than a mobile phone will probably have to go into the hold. 

Cannot think of a problem with the first 2 but I guess they may want the batteries in the hold. Samsung kind of upset them a lot so mention of batteries does not go down well.

A lot of the time it likely depends on who is on the check in desk, also may depend on the airline, but if you are taking bags for the hold it could be easier to simply put the battery in there anyway. I have found that the UK end is less easy going then the European end. Don't make a joke about the battery looking like a bomb but it isn't, they do not have a sense of humour. And yes people do it.

Part of the problem is that the X-ray will see it and then you may be expected to show it is not packed with semtex, and that is by tearing it apart to prove it.

Willing to bet that you will have to put the battery in the hold going out but able to have it in the cabin on the return.

Not sure what the new restrictions may imply either, Spain is not on any restricted list but I bet that less electronics are allowed in the cabin immaterial.

If they ask about the ZWO describe it as it is a simple solid state camera with no power source, just a "dead" lump in effect.

3 minutes ago, Charic said:

There's a bit of a purge on electrical goods at present, especially laptops, capable of carrying explosives and exploding in-flight, so anything bigger than a mobile phone will probably have to go into the hold. 

Strange.. if it's a bomb it'll cause just as much damage in the hold as in the cabin I would think.

After the likes of Lockerbie, cargo pods are designed to contain the blast and some aircraft holds  are not under the same pressure as the cabin ( in some  designs ) but yes, anything dangerous goes in the hold, but their improving things to make things safer, as best they can. 

Thanks Ronin, I think what my concern is that the battery pack is LiPO, Lithium Polymer, so actually keeping in the cabin is safer as cabin staff have special fire bags on board if a passenger's mobile phone, laptop or  tablet decides to spontaneously discharge and heat up to the point of self combustion they can contain the potential fire in the bag - putting such batteries in the hold was not an option as far as I knew, until the recent restriction from a few selected countries.

Wasn't looking for a debate on explosives - as this is about astronomy :icon_biggrin:

Anyone got recent experience of actually taking astronomy equipment out on a plane on holiday?

thanks

Existing, or new laws dont bother me. When i go abroad i go offline. I will bring my Canon 450D (packed in suitase) and maybe a pair of 10x50 bins.

I do respect and understand the new laws. I'm amazed they took so long to come into effect. It doesnt take much to bring a plane down.

I went on a cruise from Southampton 2 yrs ago and my laptop etc was x-rayed and fully checked. 

I have had my hands swabbed for explosives while travelling from Gatwick to Dublin.

Do i care,was i insulted..............

Hell NO.

39 minutes ago, BDL_Bug said:

Wasn't looking for a debate on explosives - as this is about astronomy

It was used in reference to the explosive device carried inside a laptop on flight 159 out of Mogadishu, the reason behind the latest security issues to and from certain airports, not to warrant a debate as you put it.

As Lithium Polymer batteries are regarded just as dangerous, and they can explode, your batteries would probably be illegal to carry onboard as hand luggage, depending who the carrier is, the  destination, and the latest security bulletin in force. All in the interest of safety.

12 minutes ago, Charic said:

your batteries would be illegal to carry onboard as hand luggage.

Sorry, I believe the opposite may be true, LiPo may be required to be in the cabin (hand luggage).  I think you are going to have to check with your airline BDL_Bug, the AmpHour may have a bearing, battery being larger than a mobile phone. 

1 minute ago, Mick J said:

Sorry, I believe the opposite may be true, LiPo may be required to be in the cabin.  I think you are going to have to check with your airline BDL_Bug, the AmpHa may have a bearing, battery being larger than a mobile phone. 

Your right in that you can only work with the airline, and their security restrictions that are in place. I believe its possible by some airlines to allow fitted batteries that contain a small amount  of the product, but again need to check the limits.

Its weird (or not). The new ban only applies to most of the countries on Trumps list of "bad countries" and flights entering. The Irish government have already lodged a formal complaint and said "we will not comply".

However............US  border control has the last word.

I visit Tenerife quite frequently, I get used to having my cabin luggage searched and being patted down. Carrying unusual astronomical devices and having a full beard does not help!. I've just returned from Tenerife, I was patted down at Manchester and was patted down, hands shoes and luggage swabbed for explosives.in Tenerife. :icon_biggrin:

As for the astro kit, I see no reason not to carry stuff as hand luggage if it fits within the allowance, weight size.
No matter what the equipment, the staff can look at it or through it, but if theres a doubt, and refused, where do you keep the item, they don't have the facility to store it. Contacting the airline in advance, providing pictures, getting authorisation in advance all helps.
I carried all my Digital camera system, radio and transceiver ( scanner type) car sat-nav and radar gizmo, a right collection of gadgets only to be asked why! they allowed everything through. On another occasion, sun cream was removed!
If your travelling with a partner, you can share the goods between the hand luggage.

3 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I visit Tenerife quite frequently, I get used to having my cabin luggage searched and being patted down. Carrying unusual astronomical devices and having a full beard does not help!. I've just returned from Tenerife, I was patted down at Manchester and was patted down, hands shoes and luggage swabbed for explosives.in Tenerife. :icon_biggrin:

If everyone accepted that this is now the norm, folk would get through security so much quicker and happier, but there's always someone in the queue that knows better!

I recently took my tak, mini giro, star adventurer, canon 450 as carry on baggage to New Zealand. Tripod in the hold. They had a look at it going through security but it wasn't a problem. Carry on's meant to be under 7kg so that needs to be managed. 

I'm currently in Spain and brought a camera, scope, mount etc etc with me.  No rechargeable batteries allowed in hold luggage.  My rucksack went through the x-ray machine twice, but other than that no problem ☺️

Helen

5 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi. Sorry to interrupt. I've never taken a dslr and a tripod in a plane. How do I carry it? 

My tripod is small enough to go in my suit case. It would also fit in a rucksack. The dslr can be carried separately from hand luggage if you need to.

Archived