Decent Eyepieces for 10inch dob

Nova2000

Hi. 

Ive decided to get a new scope to replace my old 6inch. 

A 10inch skywatcher dobsonian 

IT comes with 10 and 25mm plossl eyepiece. They have a fov of 52degrees if I'm not wrong. 

I have 500£for Eyepieces. 

I heard televue and Explorer scientific have good Eyepieces. 

I need a widefield and a eyepiece with High magnification. 

Can you'll recommend me some Eyepieces. 

Rajesh 

Edit 

I wear glasses. I don't know much about the eye relief stuff. So consider this fact :)

Hello 

I could recommend a Ethos. But that would be your budget gone on one eyepiece (and that would be probably purchased second hand). So I will not do that as I believe there are very good options that would be more appropriate.

If it was me I would go for a wide angle eyepiece and with decent eye relief. This would be better in a manual track Dobson , as well as more comfortable and better views DSO and allow planet tracking, staying in the fov longer.

Therefore IMO for  quality eyepiece I would recommend a 82d fov eyepieces. The Explore scientific range, but also the William optics uwan/Skywatcher nirvana range are very good, close in performance to the likes of the TV nagler but more sensible money. If you do want that bit extra and prepared to pay more, then there is always the televue naglers. I have the 20mm nagler for DSO work and it is a very good eyepiece ,but the higher power ones for planetary and lunar are also very good.

I hope the above helps☺ 

8 minutes ago, Tim said:

Hi,

Do you observe with your glasses on?

Here is a tool which will help you visualise thd field of view available in various eyepieces;

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

My personal preference is for Televue Delos eyepieces, but there are many options open to you.

Enjoy :)

Hi Tim. Yes I do wear my glasses while observing. I've not tried without them. Can I see clearly without glasses? 

I've checked some Eyepieces on that website. I'm looking for people who have used them :)

Rajesh 

Clear skies 

2 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi Tim. Yes I do wear my glasses while observing. I've not tried without them. Can I see clearly without glasses? 

Check your CYL (cylinder) correction on your eyeglass prescription.  That's a measure of your astigmatism which can't be focused out at the eyepiece like near or far sightedness.  If it is more than 0.5, you'll probably want to wear eyeglasses when viewing at lower powers.  If it's above 2, you'll probably want to wear eyeglasses with practically all your eyepieces.  Tele Vue's DIOPTRX page has some nice charts explaining all this.  Without eyeglasses or a DIOPTRX, folks with strong astigmatism will never be able to see pinpoint stars.

I've got a couple of ES82 eyepieces, the 18mm and 6.7mm. They don't have enough eye relief for me and i now use slvs and delos for that reason but if you dont need to wear glasses and want £500 to stretch to a set of eyepieces they would be a good option. 

I would go for the ExSc range in the 82 degree FOV. I had all bar the 18mm in the Meade range which have the same elements and found those very good for the money, they also come up secondhand often for less pennies, so either them or the Meades UWA will set you up for life really. Televue are very good but at a price.

Alan

I've been very happy with my TV 13T6 Nagler in my 250px.  I loved it and was so impressed, that over the course of a year or two, I also added a Pan24 and then a PM2.5x.

When buying the 13T6, I couldn't believe that I was considering spending a significant fraction of the price of the scope on a single EP.  To me, it has been worth it!

The TV Naglers T6 are good, but personally I would only buy them in the s/h market and certainly not if spectacles are needed to observe.

There are many variables: 

- do you really need spectacles to observe (e.g. astigmatic) or just to see the stars in the sky? If you need, you are looking for something with +15mm eye relief.

- do you observe under light polluted skies? If so, 20-24mm might be the largest focal length you want to consider.

- Is £500 the limit you intend to spend in eyepieces generally or just for now? This is somehow connected on your interest in this hobby and finances. 

- can you buy s/h eyepieces? 

FWIW, you can get some very good eyepieces for less than £500. On the other hand £500 could not be enough for getting just 1 eyepiece! Often, the larger afov and focal length, the more expensive these things are. 

As far as the focal lengths for a 10" dob concern, I would choose a 25mm (low power), 10mm (medium power), and a 5mm (high power). 

Ideally, a Nagler 26mm, a Pentax XW 10mm and a Pentax XW 5mm. These are suitable for spectacle wearers and are very good quality too for both DSO and planets. Unfortunately, you might find the Nagler 26mm only in the s/h market. The other two eyepiece cost about £250 each. If you decide to buy gradually rather than all in one go (which I'd suggest), I would start with the Pentaxes first because you already have a decent 25mm. Later I would wonder about a replacement for that one (Maxvision 24mm 82 could also be another choice if you find one). 

A less expensive but still very good option is to cut down the field of view, getting three Vixen SLV 25mm, 10mm, and 5mm. All three will cost you slightly more than £300, are comfortable with glasses, and they deliver similar quality views as the previous set. The difference is the AFOV (50 deg vs 70/82 deg). 

The ES are another alternative, but the eye relief can be quite tight if you need glasses to observe. 

Don't forget a good collimator, really necessary with you fast-ish telescope, and a couple of good books. I suggest the sky and telescope pocket star atlas and turn left at orion . 

Actually, Piero has a good point about the Vixen SLV's. In addition to the 24ES 82 I might go for a 10mm XW (galaxies) and squeeze in a 5mm or 7mm Vixen SLV for lunar planetary. If a narrow FOV galaxy hunter is OK get the 10mm SLV which allows 2 more SLV's, the 7mm and 5mm,many reputed members like the SLV.

I wear glasses and wear them when observing with an f4 dob. I found the delos have great eye relief along with the T4 naglers at 22, 17 and 12mm. I also have a 28mm WO UWAN than works well too.

Id pick three eyepieces an look for them second hand and with 500 you might just be able to do it.

Cheers

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:19, jetstream said:

Actually, Piero has a good point about the Vixen SLV's. In addition to the 24ES 82 I might go for a 10mm XW (galaxies) and squeeze in a 5mm or 7mm Vixen SLV for lunar planetary. If a narrow FOV galaxy hunter is OK get the 10mm SLV which allows 2 more SLV's, the 7mm and 5mm,many reputed members like the SLV.

Now there's an experienced opinion .... all three brands are top notch :happy8:

Archived