SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you know what it is yet?

Stu

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These ? .... hmmm

binoculars, binoviewer, something like that ?

Edit: Doh !!!! - I've just noticed the section this is posted in :rolleyes2:

Perhaps some of those very low power bins like the Vixen 2.1x42's ?

Thanks for playing all, Ruud wins it :)

Have fancied a pair for a while, probably not as good as the Vixens but couldn't quite justify them.

I have the filter adaptors coming too so will fit one Lumicon OIII and one UHC to them to see how I get on under a dark sky with the NAN and Veil.

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

My speedos come in a larger case Shane. Shall I wear them to DIYPSP? 

Not sure i want to go  now :eek:

I wont be there camping but might call in for a social with the good people of the astro world

I really can't wait to read about how these perform. They have been on my radar for a while now.

I seem to remember reading about these also being useful in combination with a Rigel or Telrad finder, making more up there visible to line up with.

That's as may be; please let us know how you get on.

:happy11:

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

As a bit of a dunce here, what exactly are these for?

Making you look like a bushbaby :wink2:

But seriously, they are great fun once you adapt to only the centre part being in focus.  It is like having x-ray vision, or higher powered more sensitive eyes :icon_eek:

Helen

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

As a bit of a dunce here, what exactly are these for?

Rather more seriously, they basically give low power, wide field views of the sky similar to just with the naked eye, but showing significantly more stars. Sort of like bionic vision :p 

Hi Stu, lovely little binos! I considered buying them myself.  This comparison between the Vixen and the Widebino suggests that the Widebino might be the better of the two:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.jp%2Fojisan987654321%2Ftoumegane%2Fseiza-bino-01.htm&sandbox=1

The Widebinos aren't available anywhere nearby, but I gave the Vixen a daytime try. Interesting. I ended up buying the much cheaper Kasai 4x22 with a fov of 17°, sold under the brand name Libra. They were being discontinued and under €25 if I remember well.

@tooth_dr Compared to the naked eye, the Widebino gives about 1.8 magnitudes gain and really wide views of the sky. They're used to get very pretty rich field views.

Archived