SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you know what it is yet?

Stu

Stu

Worry not, all initial niggles can be overcome !! You'll learn to love them...

Since building my Nikon TC-E2 "specials" I've had my own teething problems when observing from my hammock.

I need to fashion a strong piece of elastic to keep them firmly in place, thereby allowing hands free operation to cradle a Claret in one hand and a Cohiba in the other !! :icon_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpg.6cbb34cd532f69fe6de181b2c535d9a0.jpg.180d77cf240827c636bdd8f8e05f8f61.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The filter holders for my widebinos arrived today. Shame I didn't have them last night given the weather.

Had some good views unfiltered though. Focusing is fiddly, and the eye cups get really cold against your face. Once right though, the effect is pleasing. For instance in the Pleiades I could see around 11 stars down to mag 5.6 (18 Tauri) vs a normal 6. That was when it was quite low down in the murk too so quite impressive.

Taurus itself looks very nice, framed very well in the same field and Theta1/2 Tauri a lovely wide pair.

Hoping for a good dark sky at DIYPSP!

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I saw a pair of 2.5 x 50 mm binoculars in an old trade journal from the 1940s-1950s.

They looked more like the old fashioned  "salt and pepper  set" binoculars.

The advert said they were for spotting buoys and had other marine uses for ships at sea etc..

They were made for gathering lots of light and not much magnification,  a sort of early night vision aid.

12 hours ago, Merkhet said:

Many years ago I saw a pair of 2.5x50 mm binoculars in an old trade journal from the 1940s-1950s.

They looked more like the old fashioned  "salt and pepper  set" binoculars.

Field glasses. The erect image is achieved by the inclusion of a relay lens (or lenses) between the objective and eyepiece, in the same manner as in early nautical and terrestrial telescopes that had positive eyepieces. Field glass magnification was low because greater magnification requires an unwieldy greater length.

Archived