Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have started sketching (badly of course).

Alan White

After encouragment from Moonshane and mikeDnight I have decided to keep observing notes and sketch.
I have done neither to date.
Bought a new sketching book from Hobby Craft and have started, just an HB pencil.

Here is a scan of my first entry for posterity.

Scan0002.jpg

Based on the fact I have never made a sketch in years of anything, I was quite pleased and happy to share.
My GCE Art was clearly not wasted, shame I did Pottery as my main part, did not help with this sketch one jot!

Nice one Alan! That's a great start. Funnily enough, I've just started sketching myself, also inspired by others on the forum, and finding it's helping me to see things I wouldn't have otherwise spotted/noted. Keep up the good work! :smile:

Nice sketch, and good notes too! Sketching is a great way to develop the ability to see fin detail in what you observe. Being mainly  a visual rather than imager I should do more of it myself...started off with the sun in Halpha and also Jupiter is a nice target I plan to do more of.

12 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Well that's my mission achieved in a way. I am really genuinely not in any way artistic but hoped my meagre efforts would inspire at least one other to reap the benefits.  well done and enjoy!

Sketching rules!

Moonshane as one of the two who encouraged me, your mission has indeed hit target.

Thank you to both yourself and mikeDnight.
The pair of you pointed me in a good direction.
Makes you think about what is being observed and looking for more detail.

I am making notes and awful sketch at the scope, then tidy it up into my note book later.
If I did not do that the book would be a wet, streaked mess very quickly.

Very nicely done Alan! :thumbsup:

I think its a very nice sketch, and it appears the act of drawing at the eyepiece, has aided your concentration. :icon_biggrin:

Good old Hobby Craft! I called over at the Preston branch a week ago and ended up spending £50+ on sketch books, pencils and putty rubbers. I only went over to look! Still what I bought will last me two years I imagine!

I really look forward to seeing many more of your observational drawings! ?✏?

Mike

Archived