Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New arrival on the bookshelf

johnfosteruk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

A recent acquisition, given to me by the wife of a late astro friend, is another real collectable, The Times Atlas of the Moon. ?

Mike

20170210_120102.jpg

2017-02-10 12.05.56.jpg

That one looks like a treasure too Mike. Especially personally for you given how it came to you. 

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Just order it on Amazon. £36 new. Some second hand prices were over £70.

If its any consolation, its worth every penny!

I wish there were more portfolios like this from other great visual observers, as they'd be worth their weight in gold. They'd be of endless fascination and interest to every serious visual observer!

Mike

What great books to have. It makes a change to see something different rather than the plethora of beginners guides to astronomy books that are out there.

To be honest I am a big fan of books like these , from the pocket sized Observer astronomy books to Patrick Moore`s 70`s book "The Amateur Astronomer"

1 hour ago, colin2007 said:

What great books to have. It makes a change to see something different rather than the plethora of beginners guides to astronomy books that are out there.

Agreed. I've made a start when I had half an hour free just now and it is serious content. Hill makes it very clear it's no beginners guide and assumes familiarity with terms and principles. No dumbing down here. 

And such dedication - 36 years to get the same libration and lighting conditions for another sketch. Marvellous. 

1 minute ago, johnfosteruk said:

Agreed. I've made a start when I had half an hour free just now and it is serious content. Hill makes it very clear it's no beginners guide and assumes familiarity with terms and principles. No dumbing down here. 

And such dedication - 36 years to get the same libration and lighting conditions for another sketch. Marvellous. 

Incredible dedication that is. I would forget and remember it a day after the event. Oh well another 36 year wait!!!

I am under a self-imposed ban from getting any more astronomy books however I recently saw a copy of "The Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way" by Barnard and Dobek. This is basically a modern reprint of Barnard's atlas from the 1920's and it looked very nice.

4 hours ago, Paz said:

I am under a self-imposed ban from getting any more astronomy books however I recently saw a copy of "The Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way" by Barnard and Dobek. This is basically a modern reprint of Barnard's atlas from the 1920's and it looked very nice.

I know how you feel. I am snowed under with books. My wife reckons I got a book problem! :)

What a lovely book, I can see myself getting into 'vintage' astronomy books; a couple of years ago I acquired 'Frank's book of the telescope' by Charles Frank published in 1959. Ninety percent of it is still relevant today but its a fascinating insight into the equipment that amatuers typically used at that time. His recomendation for the perfect all round amatuer scope? A 6" F8 reflector -I think many would argue that is still the case. The main difference at that time, apart from the lack of electronics, was the unavailability of short focal length refractors - F12 and higher seemed to be the norm. Anyway, you have inspired me to have a browse for some more vintage astro books. I guess there are more in the 'Practical Astronomy Handbooks' series?

Telescopic Work for Starlight Evenings by W F Denning is an absolute belter and would be a great place to start! Although over a hundred years old, its still available as a reprint. The science has moved on of course, but Dennings insight into instruments and those who use them is priceless! Giving weight to his writings, is the fact that Denning wasn't just an author of books, he was one of the finest and most accomplished observers of his day.

Mike

Archived